Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cotehele_gw

Contract considerations-what should I require from my contractor?

cotehele
15 years ago

I can"t find a thread on contracts, and I need help thinking of things to ask of the contractors. There is a pre-bid meeting Friday morning. The architect suggested some things to consider and I've added some of my own. Please, help me think of other things.

Where to park

Where to pee - Porta potty or our bathroom

What (time of day to start & finish) constitutes a work day?

What days of the week may work be done?

Where are materials to be delivered on site?

Recycle demolition materials?

What workers may wear (work without a shirt?)

Smoking-I hate it. I don't want any smoking inside the house. What is reasonable to limit? smoke in construction area or one area of yard?

Radio use on worksite?

Clean up work site daily

There must be lots more I am not thinking of. Help!

Thanks

j

Comments (7)

• elizpiz
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Cotehele, I clipped this thread a while ago even though we had already hired our guy, because I thought it was so useful. Don't know if it will address all your concerns above but I think it's worth a read.

HTH,
    Eliz

Here is a link that might be useful: Contractor thread

• cotehele
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Eliz! Good information in that thread. I realized I have a clipped thread from the building forum on vetting a contractor that suggests a detailed process for choosing a contractor.

Anyone have things particular to your remodel or build you asked of contractors while on site? I am fearful my assumptions about their practices and behavior will turn out to be misguided. I don't want to nitpick, but I don't want to live though construction with something I should have considered before the work began.

Thanks,
    j

• overlyoptimistic
    15 years ago

Cotehele,

I don't want to quibble with the list you have above. These are some important pleasantries. Where I think you should focus is on the material list. If you have an architect, maybe he/she provided a detailed list, but it is almost never seems detailed enough. Pay particular attention to exclusions and allowances. This can make one GC "look" cheaper.

The other challenge is validating the subs-- we generally liked our contractor, but didn't really care for his subs, especially the sheetrocker he used. I would push to get names of the subs he is planning on using and then do your homework on the subs. If you like the subs, require him to get your approval before he uses another sub.

Good luck.

• kitchenredo2
    15 years ago

There will always be something you don't anticipate, that's the nature of the beast. Have you had a chance to go to a current job your contractor is working on and see how they do business? This will give you a sense of the crew, work ethic and how respectful they are of a client's property. I was able to go to 2 jobs my contractor was working on and it helped me make my decision. You will be able to see things that you won't want to happen at your job site and then you can put that into the contract.

Are you gong to be living on site? How extensive is the work being done? Do you have children? Will you or someone else be on the site during the day or just the contractor?

We are living on site (which is no picnic - don't even get me started about the dust...). The crew built me a temporary wall between the work area and where we are living. It has been great - In addition to insulating the wall they also stapled plastic sheeting to keep out dust and debris. You would never know there is construction on the other side of the wall if you didn't hear all the activity.

The only problem with dust and mess is in the basement below the construction area (which is where my temporary kitchen is located). They have taken up the sub-floor and gravity being gravity, things come down from above. Now that they are done with the electrical and pipes in the area below the construction we have stapled plastic sheeting to the joists and this has greatly reduced the amount of debris falling into the basement. So ask about what they are planning to do to reduce the impact on your family and the construction mess going into the non-construction areas of your home.

Do you have a personal umbrella policy to protect you if someone gets hurt and you are sued?

I had 3 bids for my project. I researched and made sure that each company was properly licensed and registered in my state and local jurisdiction to do the work I was going to hire them to do. I also checked to see if the companies had any complaints with the BBB, the state or the county. I also checked if the company and/or the principals were or had ever been sued, declared bankruptcy, had any criminal charges, DWI's, not been paying alimony or child support.

Regarding some of the items on your list:

The guys doing my renovation use a radio and I like it (we seem to have the same taste in music... there is nothing more entertaining than hearing them sing while they work... I think it helps the productivity of the crew, so even if they listened to something I didn't care for, I wouldn't have a problem). If having a radio playing is going to bother you there is no way you are going to survive a renovation/remodel.

My contractor included a porta-john in the contract.

My crew has been here every day - except for one day when we had bad weather and the schools were closed (the foreman called and apologized that they would not be able to make it b/c the roads were impassable).

We have a "dump trailer" parked in our driveway that they fill and then take to the dump and return. This reduces piles of debris laying around.

They clean up as much as they can. Please remember that renovation/construction is not a clean process. Don't expect them to neatly stack their supplies and store lumber in ascending or descending order of size....

If my crew decided not to wear shirts, I could sell tickets and recoup what I am paying on this renovation in no time...... ;).

Below are things I would add to the list (I haven't looked at the other threads, so if I am covering old ground.....):

Who will be in charge of the crew - get their cell phone number. There could be an emergency in the evening or the weekend and you will want to be able to get hold of someone. How many job sites will this person be running at the time of your renovation?

How do they expect to get paid? I pay my contractor in 1/12's depending on targets met outlined in the contract (i.e. framing completed, drywall up, etc.).

Ask them (in order to get a better estimate of the actual cost of the job) if they need to poke a few holes in walls, look under floors, go in the attic, look at old plans of the house. I did not think of doing this and though it would have helped with some of the unexpected items, most of them were not known until we opened ceilings, floors and walls.

Are they insured/bonded? How much coverage do they carry?

Will you have the same crew every day or will new guys be cycling in and out (I have the same crew every day with additional as needed)?

Does your contractor conduct background checks and drug testing on his crew? What about the subs?

Will subs be allowed on the property WITHOUT supervision by the contractor or his crew?

How will change orders/change of scope be handled?

When there are questions/issues and more than one solution have them check with you before going forward (what they think would work best might not work for you).. You don't want them to say, "well that's what I thought you would want...."

How will they get in and out if you are not home (I have a lock box - provided by the contractor - on one of the doors with a key in it - the lock was provided by the contractor (for a new door) and he will replace the lock when he is done)?

How do they feel about you providing your own fixtures, etc. (my contractor has no problem with me doing this as long as I get things here when he needs them and I make sure to order what he needs (I check with him before ordering))?

I am sure I have missed some things. Good luck!

• growlery
    15 years ago

Oooooohhhh!

Don't do it!

Just keep it simple.

His standard contract probably covers most of this anyway.

After that, it's like those creepy prenups that read "wife will not gain more than 4 pounds after marriage, and will brush her teeth after eating peanut butter and will allow husband first in the shower".

Just talk to the guy. Tell him what you want. For the kind of things you want, that should be enough. Don't listen to horror stories.

For the days of the week, tell him now so he can line up work for those days.

As for what constitutes a day's work: HE is their employer. You can ASK him about billing partial days, but that's really not your call. They may be on the clock on your job at another site, such as a workshop or a lumberyard.

Save the contract for the money stuff, the stuff you'd REALLY go to court to enforce.

• cotehele
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow~lots of ideas and cautions.

Clingresga, your experience sounds like a nightmare. I've seen just a few pictures of your kitchen (on vent hood threads). It is beautiful. I am sorry you are not able to enjoy it hassle free. I will be sure to keep track of payments.

Overlyoptomistic, I believe the architect is taking care of materials list. The appliances, cabinets, sinks and counters and some doors are outside the contract. Windows are specified by brand and product number. Other finishes (flooring and faucets are two) have not been decided. When is the right time to check out the subs?

Kitchenredo2, I appreciate your comprehensive list! The contractors bidding have been suggested to us by other people. It will take some due diligence to know enough about them to make a decision. Visiting an active job site is one I would not have thought of doing.

We will be living in the house while the work is done. We lived in the house 21 years ago during a 9-month major remodel, and we are not looking forward to doing it again. We just can't afford to move out for several months (or more). I will be home most days, and will keep an eye on things going on. I am hoping to seal the construction area from the rest of the house.

Well, I don't mind a radio on the work site either. What I don't want is the volume so loud it disturbs the neighbors all day long or early in the morning. I'll have to learn to love non-classical music, I'm sure.

growlery: some of the questions seem like they would impact the bid price. For example, if I should want no work to start before 9am and finish by 6pm with no work on weekends. That's not what I expect, really it is not reasonable. But if their work day starts at an ungodly morning hour, I want to know that, too. I don't care about his billing partial days and such.

Thanks,
    j