Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattyk_64

Suggestions for blinds/window coverings in Kitchen/Family room

15 years ago

We'd like to replace our tired old mini-blinds that are currently in the windows for something that might be a bit more decorative, yet functional. The only time of year that we really need them are May-September, when the afternoon sun pours into the room. I like the look of wooden matchstick shade, but are they difficult to use and how are they to keep clean? I'm wondering if they would really keep much sun out as well.

We don't need anything for privacy, as we are on acreage and no one can see in these rooms unless they are in our back yard.

Any suggestions?

Comments (7)

• 15 years ago

Patty are you able to post pictures? It may be easier to post suggestions if we can see the space.

• 15 years ago

My unlined bamboo shades do not keep out much sun. The sun coming through them can still blind you. I think they probably block a little of the heat coming through the window though.

• 15 years ago

Here's a pic of my kitchen in progress

The kitchen cabs used to be the same color as the fireplace built-in. The plan is to redo this in the winter, we need to get outside once the kitchen is done. Right now we're thinking we'll paint the bookcases black and do the fireplace in stacked rock with some kind of wood mantle. There is also a small bay where the table is between the kitchen and family room area.

Oh, and we are definitely painting over the stencilling!!!

• 15 years ago

I really like plantation shutters for functionality. They're easy to dust and block light really well. On the flip side, they let in a lot of light when open, especially if you get wider ones (ours are 4").

They're not especially decorative, but I don't think you want to compete too much with your GORGEOUS built-ins!

We have them both stained an unstained.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• 15 years ago

bamboo blinds let a lot of light in so if you want to block light sometimes I wouldn't get them. I love shutters and 2 inch blinds because u can have options with them re: how much light, privacy etc. u want.

• 15 years ago

Those shutters are gorgeous mom2reese!!!
    The only issue I have with that type is that when it's not summer I don't really want anything obstructing the view of the backyard. I really do love how they look though.
    I'm starting to think 2" blinds might be the way to go, but DH isn't too keen on them unfortunately. I'll have to think on this a bit more I guess.

• 15 years ago

I really like 2" wood blinds, too. We have them in the upper bedrooms that face the back of the house (to save money), and they look great.

I do love the look of bamboo and woven wood shades. You can get them with a blackout liner so they don't let in as much light. I had considered them but didn't get them because the "all or nothing" aspect(you can only raise or lower). It doesn't sound like that's an issue for you, though, since privacy is not an issue.