Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindabarbara_gw

Slipcovered Sofas: Crate&Barrel vs PotteryBarn

lindabarbara
14 years ago

My friend purchased a traditional, linen slip-covered sofa from Crate and Barrel, which hasn't arrived yet. She agonized over which sofa was better, the one from Crate & Barrel or Pottery Barn. I always shied away from the slip-covered sofas because I thought they might, well look sloppy.

She has now put the idea back into my mind as I'm thinking of re-doing my living room and I am considering a slip-covered sofa. Just wondering if you had any experience purchasing from either store.

Thanks for your opinions.

Comments (5)

• Sueb20
    14 years ago

I have the Bayside sofa from C&B. I agree that slipcovered sofas are casual looking. I wouldn't use them in a formal living room. Mine is in our summer cottage and I bought it "free" using Amex rewards points (everything else in the house is from consignment shops and flea markets, so a C&B sofa would be considered a real splurge for our summer place!). Anyway, I really like the Bayside sofa. It's super comfortable and I love the print fabric we have (which is no longer available). It IS a casual look, though.

• tinam61
    14 years ago

I was/am (can't make up my mind!) considering a slipcovered loveseat or sofa for our sunroom. A blog friend recently bought one from Ikea and is very happy with it. Of course, she hasn't had it long. Do you have Ikea? We don't. There is also one at JCPenney (Linden St.) that got good reviews (look at their webpage, then furniture and you can read reviews on the pieces), especially after they changed the covering of the down stuffed cushions. The only complaint I remember reading was that sometimes the feather would poke out. They have since changed the covering.

We dont' have Crate and Barrel here and I have not looked at the sofas in our Pottery Barn. It is a smaller store, I don't think they have alot of the furniture.

Let us know what you decide! LOL It might help me in my decision.

tina

• Nancy Adamopoulos
    14 years ago

We've had a PB sofa and loveseat for the past 7 years. It's held up well(including 1 move). It is definitely a more casual look, as the slipcovers get wrinkly. I like being able to remove the covers and wash them. The covers are a pain to get back on because they've shrunken a tiny bit. The color of the slipcover had faded a bit as well(I have it in butter twill). I heard CB carries Lee sofas which is a decent furniture manufacturer.

• User
    14 years ago

Sue B- Did you get the sleeper version of the Bayside? Funny, because we are thinking of getting that same sofa for our summer home and I feel the same way - it will definitely be the most expensive thing - everything else we have gotten is from target, craigslist, etc. but this sofa just fits the bill perfectly. I was wondering if the sleeper version is comfortable. I need to look and see if you can still get them with Amex miles!

• standsure
    14 years ago

I am new to this forum but since I recently ordered two slipcovered sofas, I was interested in your post. I looked at quite a few places and researched a lot before I went with Nantuckit Furniture Company. The slips are more tailored and not quite so casual. Obviously they are not going to fit the same as an upholstered piece but the idea of washing the fabric is very appealing to me. I can't give you a testimonial yet as I am several weeks away from taking delivery but I am hoping all turns out well. Good luck with your choice.