Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahtoll

Dining Chair Dilemma

sarahtoll
13 years ago

Okay, so I've been going back and forth with this problem for the past few weeks now, but it's time to make a decision. Here is what the current dining room looks like. Mind you, it's far from done. I'm just working on the major pieces first. (Don't mind the green painters tape on the floor, I was just visualizing where I wanted the buffet table)

Dining Room Pic 1: http://bit.ly/lN0wbQ

Dining Room Pic 2: http://bit.ly/jjZQPV

Dining Room Pic 3: http://bit.ly/lx7Kpl

The space is approximately 8'10" x 11' (if you don't include the hallway to the great room). Where the back wall (with wallpaper is 11'). The stairs are on the left and the opening in the wall (on the right) is the kitchen. Oh yes, and the table is about 54' in diameter.

Floorplan: http://bit.ly/kKTOJh

Anyway, I'm stuck on deciding between the following chairs:

Black Ghost Chair: http://bit.ly/lwVUEf

Clear Ghost Chair: http://bit.ly/jolnZY

We're looking at 6 chairs. Not necessarily using them all around the table. But because of the size of the it, I think we will need at least 4, or maybe even 5. The other one(s) can be put beside the buffet table. And btw, the guitars aren't staying there.

In my opinion, the black is just sexy. And will make a bold statement in the room. However, it may make the room look smaller. So because of the small space, the clear may be better and make the room feel more open. Is it possible to do a combination of the two? Where one colour is at the table, and the other is beside the buffet table and only used when needed?

What are your opinions? By the way, we're purchasing the chairs on Saturday, so I'll need to make up my mind before then.

Comments (17)

• powermuffin
    13 years ago

I would do a combination of the two, 4 clear, 2 black, or the other way around. But I think either would work nicely in the room.
    Diane

• chickadee2_gw
    13 years ago

I think I'd go with all black chairs otherwise the glass top table with clear chairs would be a washout and the wallpaper would dominate the room. The black chairs would add some weight to the center of the room.

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

I like the black because I like the contrast with the floors, but the clear would work too. I see no reason why you couldn't have two clear (or white) on either side of the buffet when they aren't in use and two black at the table. If you need a fifth chair, I would probably choose a clear one and use it as a desk chair when not in use for dining. BTW, I love the white buffet against the wallpaper.
    {{!gwi}}

• kristinekr
    13 years ago

I like the black chairs--it will bring the black into the center of the room. I also think that the clear would get lost with the clear table.

But, sometimes my vision fails me--I like to have the option of returning things if its doesn't work the way I envision.

Very cool room!

• lyfia
    13 years ago

I would do the black for around the table and then clear to flank the Buffet. That way they don't disappear around the table with the glass top, but you still get almost the full view of the wall with the clear ones.

I have a dumb question about the clear ones though. What happens to these with normal use and wear. Don't they get scratched and won't look as nice on the seat, or are they really very scratch resistant. I would think scratches would show up more on a clear chair than say a colored.

• sarahtoll
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So I was told that the black ones show fingerprints like crazy. Not sure about scratches though. I'm assuming on either chair would be pretty bad.

I've been on the search for chairs for this room for awhile, and I can't think of any other chair that would work in this space. Unless someone has any other ideas?

I think I'm leaning more towards the black ones. I was really just worried that they will make the space look smaller, but it's true about what some of you have said, that the clear chairs would be washed out with the clear table.

Here's a mockup of the room that I put together with photoshop. Hopefully it looks like that in real life...

{{!gwi}}

• arcy_gw
    13 years ago

Does the wall paper reflect in the table all the time or just due to the flash? I would avoid more clear if it does. I am thinking the chairs would come in solid white and I would consider that as a pairing with the black over more clear.

• Bethpen
    13 years ago

I think I would go with four black and two clear. Unless the fingerprint thing is too much.

Your room is fun! I can't wait to see what you do.

Beth P.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Red Thonet Chairs?

Here is a link that might be useful: DWR

• coastal_modern_love
    13 years ago

My vote would be 4 black at the table and 2 clear to flank the buffet. That is if you keep them stored this way. The clear will disappear in front of that gorgeous wallpaper, and when you need the extra seating those will serve to differentiate the head's of table chairs. And yes they do get slightly scratched up, but the beauty of the ghost outweighs those tiny scratches. And believe me with paper like that, no one will be looking at scratches!

• les917
    13 years ago

I think the black chairs are going to show every fingerprint AND every speck of dust. Plus I think the glass table almost disappears when surrounded by all the dark chairs - looks a bit odd.

The clear chairs would work better for me, I think, if the table weren't clear glass.

My other thought is about comfort - these chairs are very cool looking, but how comfortable when you are sitting on them for a couple of hours during a dinner party?

I would consider a colored chair, as palimpsest suggested, or something in fabric to add a softer element to balance all the hard surfaces in the room. A tufted chair or quilted fabric would be a nice choice, imo.

• htnspz
    12 years ago

I agree with Les that the clear chairs would look better with a non-glass table. I don't think the black chairs would provide enough contrast in the room. I think I would prefer to see a different table, I think a Saarinen tulip table would be fabulous (maybe in the wood top).
    I have heard reviews of the ghost chairs and while people say they are fine to sit in, they are quite narrow and tend to sway just a bit. I'm not sure it's a table for sitting and lounging in like that. I like ghosts more as accent seating like for against the wall flanking the buffet and then different, non ghost chairs for the table.
    Also, I agree with others that the room could use some softness, perhaps with a rug or upholstered chairs.

• User
    12 years ago

I would use the black chairs but get them in the armless version. Having done that --- round table with armchairs--- I can say unequivocally that the look is 100x more cluttered with all those arms, and will produce a cramped feeling in your dining room. In addition, the chairs you are considering have the arms splayed out, which takes up even more room.
    Since there is no head of table with a round shape, there is no place for the armchairs and we found they were actually less comfortable to sit and eat in. I don't think there's a chance that six of those would fit around the table without feeling and looking really crowded.

Also, imo, your room is too small to accomodate two different colors of chair. You already have a lot going on in there. I love the look you're creating, and it depends on bold, but not cluttered. That's my two cents worth :)

• busybee3
    12 years ago

out of the two chairs you show, i would go with the black...

but, for my dining room table, i don't think i'd want the plastic... for the reasons listed...fingerprints, comfort. i would probably search for black leather armless chairs- i think the right chair in black leather could look gorgeous...

• User
    12 years ago

Black leather parsons chairs would def take up less space and look great!

• jnh896
    12 years ago

I love what you are doing with the room. I think black chairs. Is this your everyday dining room or for special occasions? If those chairs are anything like my black refrigerator, the smudges might drive you crazy. It looks great when brand new and then you can never get it to look that way again....

I saw these black wicker chairs with a clear glass table in another thread here about Amy Butler's house and thought you might want to consider something like this.

http://gallery.apartmenttherapy.com/photo/amy-butler-house-tour/item/244790

Hopefully I am pasting that link correctly.

kswl's comment about the arms taking up space is worth considering. Perhaps you could do two armchairs to flank the buffet (in all black) and the others armless. I do think the clear chairs with the clear table might wash out.

I can also see a fabulous, bold centerpiece on the table that incorporates your accent color. Please post final pictures! GL!

Here is a link that might be useful: Amy Butler room

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

Here are you pictures:

Dining Room Pic 1:

Dining Room Pic 2:

Dining Room Pic 3:

Floorplan:

Black Ghost Chair:

Clear Ghost Chair: