Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommyatlaw_gw

Disproportionate Budget for Appliances?

mommyatlaw
12 years ago

Good morning, GW'ers. I was wondering (as I review quotes from the contractor)... What percentage of your kitchen budget was allocated to your new appliances? Mine is pushing 20%. Reasonable, or not?

Comments (13)

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Mine was probably 30%, give or take, but the appliances were also the driving reason for the renovation and we always knew we wanted to upgrade and would use them. I think you have to look at your needs, wants and budget to see what makes sense for you. That's all that really counts unless you anticipate selling in the near future -- in which case, I'd be updating instead of redoing and appliances could be an even larger percentage of the total.

• Liz
    12 years ago

I recommend going to shop for your appliances now just to get an idea of what you like and how much that will cost. You can get a 6,000 package or 30,000. It really depends on what you want. Our appliances were about 35% of our budget.

• Heatherash8210
    12 years ago

When we bought appliances we spent 20% of the budget on our fridge and stove. If we bought a new dishwasher, microwave it would have been around 25-30% of the budget.

That 20% seems like a reasonable number.

• hobokenkitchen
    12 years ago

Our appliances are a huge proportion of our budget - about the same as the cabinets themselves.

We could go cheaper, but I think the appliances help make the kitchen!

• idrive65
    12 years ago

I think it depends on what you are doing and how you calculate "kitchen budget" here. If it's a remodel to update cabinets and appliances, then the appliance portion may be a higher percentage of the total cost than if you do a complete overhaul -- taking it down to studs, replacing walls, moving or installing ventilation, electrical wires, plumbing, or water/gas lines, and installing new floors.

If it's a new house, then walls and windows and electrical expenses probably wouldn't be included in the kitchen budget.

• shivy
    12 years ago

We are doing a big reno- so appliances are approx. 15% of the budget, but about half of what we're spending on cabinets/counters.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

We were also about 20% of our budget. However, we bought our appliances at the beginning of the reno when money actual still meant something. By the time we were finished we were like - oh it's only $500 more to do that ok lets do it. My point being that if I had done my appliances later I probably would have spent more on the range and MW and been happier. Don't skimp on your choices if you can avoid it.

• 1929Spanish
    12 years ago

We are doing an addition that includes moving the kitchen and adding a bathroom. It's a large job and I really only needed a range. I wanted all new appliances so I shopped carefully and well in advance. My appliances were a fraction of the total budget.

I got a new range, hood, dishwasher and refrigerator valued at about $11,500. I paid $3,800. Then I sold my newer appliances for $500. I did have to buy panels for another $1,500 - the fridge panels cost more than I paid for my fridge......a fact that we can just keep to ourselves. : )

• clarygrace
    12 years ago

Our appliances are about 18% of a very hefty budget, since we are doing expansion construction work -- we went for top of the line dishwashers (Miele) and double ovens (Gaggenau), cooktop and fridges are (Bertazzoni and Electrolux Icon), which are quite nice and will do the job just fine, but not extremely expensive.

We chose the appliances based on our cooking preferences and needs -- I bake and roast alot, so ovens were important for example.
    Good luck!

• friedajune
    12 years ago

I was struck by the "my contractor is pushing" in your OP. Can you clarify- do you mean that the contractor will be purchasing your appliances? If so, I advise against that. First, you will be paying more for the appliances than if you buy them yourself. Please don't believe in the "contractor's discount". Really you will get a better deal shopping for yourself. Second, sometimes the contractor chooses the appliance models for you, and that is rarely in your best interest.
    Also, hang out on the GW's Appliances Forum before buying anything. You may find your appliances choices change after becoming more educated, so that you spend less money on some appliances and more on others.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I spent twice as much on appliances as I did my cabinets.

• springroz
    12 years ago

Our cabinets were $2000 less than our appliances.

• mommyatlaw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all! That's very helpful. I think I'm in the right ballpark.

akchicago - Pushing referred to my budget (ie my appliance costs are pushing 20% of my overall budget). The contractor knows that I have pursued the appliances independently. That being said, I haven't been able to get much better pricing on my own (than through his supplier). A tiny bit better on a few things, but not worth the aggravation. And his supplier's installation cost is lower, so it evens out.

Can't wait to get the complete set of numbers in (in particular, the cabinets!). Hopefully I won't have to cross anything off the list!

Thanks again!