Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cpaige29

where to cut costs in kitchen remodel??

cpaige29
11 years ago
Trying to make some cuts for my kitchen remodel. Do I compromise quality in the counter-top, cabinet, or both? My contractor informed me that there is a thermofoil cabinet available, that would be a white shaker style door for less money. Does anyone know anything about this product?

Where is the "best" place to cut costs without cutting quality???

Comments (43)

• apple_pie_order
    11 years ago
    Countertops are much easier to upgrade later than cabinets. Thermofoil is not a longterm choice. You can also back off on flooring costs because flooring can also be upgraded later.

If your contractor is planning custom cabinets instead of ready made or semi-custom, you can probably look at your design to see if dramatic simplification or substitution to semi-custom is possible.

Another area to cut costs is less expensive appliances. Sometimes when you buy a complete suite of appliances, you get a better deal than choosing each individually from different brands.
  • cpaige29
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @apple pie...i am not doing flooring at this time...its really just between the counter tops and cabinets...i believe the cabinets are ready made...but i should ask
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    Apple pie was right about the Thermofoil cabinets. Thermofoil is a vinyl like materials applied over MDF and has been known to start peeling off after a few years, leaving you with a mess. I would either find different cabinets or a less expensive countertop, or delay the project.
  • apple_pie_order
    11 years ago
    If you post your countertop ideas with a description of your cabinet color, some houzzers may be able to suggest budget-friendly countertop options.
  • cpaige29
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    This was the proposal from my contractor:

Custom Cabinetry - Kitchen
    Includes: Frameless Engineering
    Plywood Construction
    Maple Wood Species
    Enamel Finish
    Shaker Door Style
    Solid Wood Dovetailed Drawers
    Blumotion Cushion-Close Drawer Glides and Door Closers
    Full Overlay Doors

Quartz Countertops
    Includes: Hanstone or Zodiaq Material
    Aurora Snow, Bianco Canvas, Snow White or Bianco Carrera Color Selection
    Eased Edge
    Single Bowl Undermount Sink
    Installation
    No Backsplash (Future Tile)
    12" Overhang in eat ledge area
  • cpaige29
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Additional notes:
    The contractor was able to find a different countertop supplier, which cut $300 out of the price. The contractor included a 4-drawer cabinet to the left of the sink. If that cabinet, and the cabinet to the left of the range changed to standard base cabinets with one drawer on top, he said I could save between $300-$400. Should I consider this?

The contractor told me he also looked at the price of a knocked-down cabinet that we would build onsite. However, he could only cut between $400-$600 out of the price. There would be a substantial quality difference. The cabinet would be particleboard, not plywood. The drawers would be melamine on standard glides instead of a wood dovetailed drawer on a cushion-close glide. He said he wouldn't recommend that option as there is a BIG difference in cabinet quality.
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    I'd go with the plywood frame and solid maple front and dovetailed-drawer Shaker overlay cabinets being proposed as they will be beautiful, sturdy, and last you much longer than the alternatives. But the cushion close glide, while lovely, is not crucial (and can even be annoying on cabinets, though nice on drawers). And quartz counters are more expensive than some other options, so you could probably save some there by shopping around a bit. IMO the most important appliance to get good quality is the range/stovetop. Refrigerators and dishwashers don't need lots of bells and whistles. And we saved quite a lot by shopping around for our range hood. There are big price differences between virtually identical models.

Good luck!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Absolute black granite is beautiful with white cabinets and one of the least expensive granites.
  • cpaige29
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @ Carolyn I was really going for the white on white look...but I agree that black is a nice contrast.

Anyone have other opinions on changing the proposed 4-drawer cabinet to the left of the sink. If that cabinet, and the cabinet to the left of the range changed to standard base cabinets with one drawer on top, he said I could save between $300-$400.

Also cushion glides?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I much prefer drawers to cabinets where things get hidden behind other things. However, perhaps the Container Store, or a similar source, has pullouts you can add later that would serve the same purpose.
  • rockinrobin68
    11 years ago
    I agree with Feeny on the cabinets. With the range, it depends on what kind of cook you are. I got the less expensive free-standing model, paid more for the double-oven option, and paid less buying it over the internet (at US-Appliance.com) instead of a big box store.

If you don't have money leftover for the countertops you really love, then just get cheap laminate and save up to replace later. I'm assuming that the kitchen is so bad that you can't live with it for another year or two, until you can get what you really want.

In terms of the color of your countertop, I would consider the size of your kitchen and the feeling you want in the room. A lighter color will reflect more light and feel more light and airy. I personally would never get black granite because it shows water spots and crumbs/dust more easily, which drives me crazy. I agree black granite looks very nice in the right kind of kitchen (layout and size). Depending on the color of your cabinets, you need to decide if you want a low contrast or high contrast countertop. Low contrast makes the room feel bigger if you have a small kitchen. So if you want a light feel, go lighter wood and lighter counter, or if you prefer the richer, darker, warm feeling, then go with darker cabinets and darker toned counters. A friend of mine has a faux granite laminate that is predominately black with cherry cupboards, and it looks very sharp. She is saving up for a stone counter.
  • cpaige29
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @rockinrobin, thanks for your comments....I was going for the white on white look, for a lighter contrast to open up the room like you said. Although I love dark cabinetry I just don't think it will fit in my small space, plus I would probably need to add more light which is another expense. The proposed quartz counter tops are about $2,050 for the product. To me it is not worth it to install another laminate (which I already have and hate) and then wait a few years to install what I want. I don't plan on living in this condo forever:) The biggest reason besides the out datedness of the existing cabinets is the fact that I am so limited with space and refrigerator space. I am forced to have a 28inch wide top freezer fridge and I have almost no counter top space and I typically am preparing things on the stove. I do love to cook which is why i did think about replacing the over range microwave with a hood and place a smaller microwave by the sink somewhere...
  • rockinrobin68
    11 years ago
    Cpaige, I was writing before I saw your last response. I'm in the midst of a kitchen remodel myself. Getting white cabinets, and thought I really love the look of Carrera marble, I decided against it because I have kids and know they will ruin them (not wiping up spills right away). I got quartz in the color "linen" which is cream with subtle white marbling. If you really want white, then I understand there are some white granites out there. I decided against granite because I didn't want to have to deal with testing it for radon. You can search on this topic, and you'll see the story on CBS news, Dr. Oz, etc. Quartz doesn't have the radon concern.
  • apple_pie_order
    11 years ago
    Your contractor's initial bid is for top quality custom cabinets and countertops. This is not a big kitchen, so you are looking at saving several hundred dollars, not thousands. If you need to save thousands to fit in your budget, I suggest you postpone a year or two until you can afford what you really want.

Now that I see the photos, all the zing in the new kitchen is going to come from the countertops, so using inexpensive Formica laminate is not going to be a good trade. The Hanstone is a quartzite and it is competitively priced with other quartzite surfaces.

A possible option is to visit a stoneyard in search of two matching partial slabs of granite or marble that are reduced in price because they are not full slabs. You'd have to be flexible on color and pattern. Ask your contractor if that will work. I'm not sure it would save much money. Your kitchen has at least three, possibly four, separate pieces of countertop, so much of the countertop expense is fabrication and edging.

I'd keep the drawers, by the way, because they are far more useful than base cabinets with shelves.
  • rockinrobin68
    11 years ago
    Forgot to mention that at the granite/quartz warehouse I went to, they did have quartz in a pure white, with those little crystal flecks. I'm sure if you shop around you can probably find exactly what you want. I wanted something with a little bit of marbling movement to it, so that's why I went with the "linen." Plus I have cream colored walls in my dining room and living room, so it flows in my house. good luck!
  • cpaige29
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    You all bring up excellent points. I guess I was thinking I could save thousands when in reality it's really hundreds and not that much of a difference. Thanks for your help!
  • apple_pie_order
    11 years ago
    Cpaige: I just saw your other comments after writing mine. I think what the contractor is giving you is the top of the line custom package. These are very nice, but I agree that the closing mechanism is an expensive frill. Getting it left off and replaced with three/quarter opening slides might save you $100-$200. Total.

I see you hate laminate. I'd not bother with putting it on while saving up for something much nicer especially if you plan to sell in less than five years. I recommend that you go out and look for some granite slab that is cheaper than the white quartzite, but that you like a lot.
  • apple_pie_order
    11 years ago
    Have you considered replacing just the drawer fronts and doors of the current cabinets? It'd be much, much cheaper. They look like full overlay with standard hinges.
  • cpaige29
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I assume you mean refacing. I have considered this option, however that would mean keeping the existing layout of the kitchen would not help with my refrigerator width size problem.
  • cpaige29
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Possible deductions from proposal:

Change drawer stacks to standard cabinets: $300-$400 savings

Change terms in cabinetry order - $245 savings

Change color to Level 2 granite - $750 savings

He indicated I could also save 5% of the cabinet price if I pay the entire amount up-front (of that item) instead of 50%.

Thoughts?
  • cpaige29
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Level one granite would cost $1,450. Level two is $1,600. There are two white granites at, which would both be available at a level two price. They are Giallo Ornamental White and Kashmir White. Anyone seen these?
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    We use Giallo Ornamental very frequently and it is very easy to work with. One note of warning - do not purchase the Giallo Ornamental without seeing the actual slab. Ornamental varies very widely as to color and can go from a brown to a gold color. Not as familiar with Kashmir White, but all granites vary some.
  • cpaige29
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Deborah. I am looking for a white stone.
  • apple_pie_order
    11 years ago
    The Kashmir white looks pretty on the first few images that pop up of the 40,000 on Houzz I found using "Kashmir white" granite as a search string.

I see that getting a bigger fridge is important, so reusing the current cabinets is not going to work. Just a note about the new fridge: make sure you can open the drawers even if you cannot open the fridge door more than 90 degrees. A friend with a similar kitchen was caught out that way when she remodelled and bought a new fridge that didn't open well up against the wall.
  • PRO
    ct design studio
    11 years ago
    I would review the cabinetry, most people do not need full on custom cabinetry, semi custom at most. You are also paying more for the full overlay, frameless construction. Switching to standard construction here will give you the most savings, vs. 2 drawer banks by the stove. Which, by the way, if you go with the 3 then you will have one nice deep drawer. However the full ply, dovetail construction is worth every penny in my book.

I also agree the softclose on drawers are nice, but not necessary on doors. The countertops can be shopped around a bit. Kashmir white and giallo ornamental both have golds/browns etc. and are not crisp white. Cambria brand quartz has one called Whitney which is a crisp white with a touch of silver sparkle, very pretty.

Also please don't pay in full up front! You will not have recourse and totally change the terms of your agreement with your contractor. You need to have a reserve if things are not done to your liking (god forbid!).

Good luck!
  • cpaige29
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @Ct-what is the full ply that you say is worth every penny?? Do you mean the full overlay, frameless construction that my contractor proposed?. What is the difference between standard construction?
  • PRO
    ct design studio
    11 years ago
    So sorry! I was referring to the plywood construction as being worth it, vesus downgrading to particle board construction. You can keep the all plywood construction, but different construction with a standard overlay. The full overlay you are paying for, the door completely covers the faceframe of the cabinets. A standard overlay some of the face frame may show but you could save anywhere from 5-15%. It's purely aesthetics, ask your contractor to show you the difference. And there could be some particulars of your project I don't know about but it's worth exploring.
  • PRO
    City Cabinet Center
    11 years ago
    In my experience, slabs of granite vary about $300-600 per slab as you go up the levels. Trying to save thousands of dollars on the project is not going to happen, but smart and careful shopping will get you the best price which may be a few hundred dollars. Get the plywood cabinets. Kashmir white will definitely give you the all white look you are going for, but ask to see the slab before hand (whether its prefabricated or not). I hope you don't have kids around often because white on white means a lot of clean up duty in my book. Keep to the payment schedule detailed on the contract.
  • PRO
    City Cabinet Center
    11 years ago
    Also you can change from the European frame-less style to standard framed cabinets. They can still be full overlay doors, but you may be able to save some money there.
  • cpaige29
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    City Cab and CT I think you are both suggesting the same thing. Should I ask my contractor the difference from the proposed full overlay to a standard overlay? Or simply just a standard frame door with a full overlay? I tried looking at pictures of both on the internet and couldn't really find any. Do either of you have examples?

Also, @city cab, it is just me so no need to worry about children spilling:)
  • cpaige29
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The also major savings was switching to granite from quartz...
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    Examples:
    Standard overlay cabinets in first photo (see the spaces all around the doors where you can see the frame?)
    Full overlay cabinets in second photo (see how there aren't any spaces or gaps?)
    Creative Cabinets and Faux Finishes, LLC · More Info

Lafayette Residence · More Info
  • cpaige29
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    This is standard
    SMART Cabinetry - Squire / Maple · More Info
  • pamrhess
    11 years ago
    Cabinets are hugely expensive, even bad ones. You might consider minimizing them, altogether . Buy base cabinets, but build a pantry somewhere -- a closet, essentially, with low-cost wood shelves inside. TONS more storage than in upper cabinets. Then put attractive open shelves above the counters on the walls and display your glasses, cups, bowls etc. Have oft used food stuffs out in mason jars and pretty bottles or containers.

That was my solution and i love love love my pantry. The best part is you can just close the doors on it if its in a jumble and no one is the wiser. In one 6 foot wide space I have 50 linear feet of storage space. in a 6-foot wide and 2 foot deep space. Lots of room for unwieldy kitchen equipment on the floor, though I keep my stand mixer out on the counter at all times.

If in a few years you don't like the open shelves, you can add cabinets. Make sure you get a standard base cabinet that you can match later, if you are into matching. You can modify this plan and spend a little more by mixing in some upper cabinets with open shelves. I personally do not like upper cabs. I think they look like buck teeth, and they block my view of the counter.

If you must have cabinets, consider a salvage place. Habitat's ReStore or Second Chance Salvage in Baltimore has whole kitchens available for a song. You can find stuff in good shape and classic styles, then just have them repainted.
    pam
    http://howtorunyourlife.blogspot.com/
  • pamrhess
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    post your proposed floor plan and I can suggest a place for the pantry. here's what no upper cabinets can mean for you. Gorgeous. And an excuse to buy all new dishes with the money you saved! EDITED TO ADD: only keep out those things you use often. There will invariably be grease and dust in the air from cooking so you want stuff that you handle and wash frequently -- keep large stacks of plates, pots and pans, etc in the pantry. Keep out on shelves only enough glasses , mugs, plates, bowls for your family in a given day, and as for foodstuffs -- olive oil, flour, coffee, sugar, salt, and spices you use regularly. You can also leave out on open shelves those pots and pans you use daily -- I have a 12 inch cast iron pan, a sauce pan and a small stock pot that are used every day without fail, so they are constantly cleaned.
    Modern Kitchen · More Info

Capitol Hill Kitchen · More Info

Kitchen · More Info

kitchen · More Info
  • PRO
    Stoneshop
    11 years ago
    Since you said that this is a kitchen that you do not plan on living in forever, I would suggest switching your countertops from quartz to granite. Quartz is generally more expensive because, when ordering, you are required to pay for the whole slab. With granite, you are only paying for your square footage. Kashmir White is a beautiful stone that we sell/install frequently. It has more white and fewer dark spots in it than the Giallo Ornamental (typically). Those individuals who desire a white countertop but want natural stone will choose this color. Switching from quartz to granite will also not affect re-sale value. Buyers simply typically desire a solid work surface. However, before you make this final decision, be sure to visit the slab gallery that your contractor gets his stone from to view the Kashmir White or Giallo Ornamental slabs in person, as well as request samples.
  • Madeline
    11 years ago
    @pamrhess. I think you mean here's what "no upper cabinets" means for you. Love your helpful pictures, too. Madeline
  • pamrhess
    11 years ago
    @madelinesdreaming indeed I did!
    pam
  • PRO
    ct design studio
    11 years ago
    Thanks to those of you who posted the pictures to clarify the whole overlay discussion. Had to run out to a client's home so didn't get to finish discussion.

No you won't save thousands, but a few hundred on the cabinets and countertops is money to put towards something else. :)
  • PRO
    City Cabinet Center
    11 years ago
    I am not talking about standard overlay vs full overlay. I would advise always to get full overlay cabinets. Standard overly is dated and is only used on rare occasions when trying to accomplish a certain style. I am talking about framed vs frame-less cabinets. In your proposed bid, you have frame-less cabinets. If you can save a couple hundred by switching to framed cabinets (not sure if you can) then I would do so.
  • Lori Zarcone
    11 years ago
    Don't shoot me for suggesting this please, but if I weren't going to stay there forever, I would consider painting the cabinets, buying a nice granite countertop and changing the appliances to stainless. This is sort of a quick realtor-flip suggestion that we do often with very similar kitchens. It updates the kitchen without too much expense and you get a major "wow" factor that helps it sell fast. I hope this helps!
  • PRO
    ct design studio
    11 years ago
    I guess I wasn't very clear, I am suggesting the same thing as city cab, switch from frameless to framed construction and then review door overlays. Reading their post made me reread mine. Sorry for any confusion.
Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths