Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
borngrace_gw

Kitchen elevations PICS opinions please (why is this so hard?)

borngrace
16 years ago

Finally got some elevations pictures from architect. I sent over an email with lists of my "stuff" and this is what they came up with. I'd love to get fresh opinions of these pics -- I feel like I have no ability to think anymore.

Layout -- EAST WALL TOP of PICTURE

Dish Hutch and East Window wall

Range wall - doors on either side enter pantry

West wall doors on either side enter mudroom/rest of house

back of island

South wall of pantry

North wall of pantry (behind range wall in kitchen)

Baking center - east wall of pantry

Dest area

In addition to functionality opinions if you have aesthetic ones also . . . feel free to post them

Thanks so much

Comments (18)

• remodelfla
    16 years ago

Do you plan on storing your everyday dishes in the dish hutch or do you have drawers/cabs right by the DW designated for unloading dishes?

• borngrace
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Everyday dishes and glasses in the hutch

• bmorepanic
    16 years ago

I'm just going to comment on the desk and computer stuff.

Wire two electrical circuits - one a bit above desk height to the side and one at the back of where you have an enclosure for a printer. If you are a gismo person, cameras, phones, etc, consider using plug mold about 2.5 inches above the desktop. I would suggest the plug in version of plug mold (with the cord routed to the in cabinet outlets or have your electrician install a switch so you can cut off everything attached to the bar at once.

If the sight of all the "bricks" bothers you, have a flip up cover made out of molding. Make sure the cover is a bit short so the cover clears the cables. I've often wanted one with cork on it. A little harder to reach, but hidden is to mount plugmold on the wall under the keyboard drawer.

Which space in your house will have the networking gear? Every type of internet connection can have multiple pieces of gear that in my experience has to get replaced or checked way too often. If its here, consider where all that crap will go (on the wall under or perhaps behind the keyboard drawer?).

Consider a plain 32-36" pull out drawer that can have room for the mouse beside the keyboard. Not quite as pretty, but way more practical. I am not liking the flip down drawer fronts because all of the hardware I'm seen it done with looks like it wouldn't last long and I don't care for where the front ends up (handles on my knees).

If you are a laptop user, will you use a docking station and/or a laptop holder? If so, you might want to lower the desk surface.

Size the height of the printer pull out for the average dimensions of the type of printer you use and not just to fit a specific printer.

I would place an ups unit in a lower shelf of the same pullout. Ideally, surge supression would be performed for the entire house and not specially for this area, but if not, I would strongly suggest the plug in version of plug mold and route its power to the surge side of the ups. I do not like most surge bars because they wear out too quickly. Computer and networking gear in the ups and laser printers in the surge only side (they use way too much power). If you have bunches of stuff, get a large enough ups to cover the actual load.

Remember to ventilate the printer side! Never put any power or computer stuff in an unventilated area. The stuff has operating temperature ranges and you don't want to get close to its upper limit. In my career, I have seen about three pieces of computer stuff catch fire. I have seen endless amounts fail early because of heat.

You may need to screen that window from the sun (depending on where it faces) in order to see a monitor.

Remember cable gromets on the side and top of the printer side.

• remodelfla
    16 years ago

Seems like an awfully long run down from the DW to put away dishes. I'd rather my dishes/glasses were an arms reach from my DW to make unloading a breeze. As we plan the renovation of our next house; that will be one of my non-negotibles.

• borngrace
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think you are right about the DW -- I was thinking of clearing more than putting away . . . as in dishes landing to left of sink and then being rinsed and put away to right of sink. But it makes more sense to have them land to left, be rinsed and then put in left side dish washer. THen when it is unloaded it is a straight shot to either table or dish hutch - also someone at sink won't block dishes being unloaded.

Great first decision made :-)

I'm also going to have plugmold in office for cell phones etc. None of the networking gear is there -- all in office. I will use that computer for photos and surfing and bill paying.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Why the fridge drawers in the island?

I don't have a warming drawer, but from reading here, gather it will be used more often if it's convenient to the stove. I suppose you're trying to make it handy to the table (?), but I would want it within reach of the stovetop and ovens instead. I would strongly consider placing it to the immediate right of the range, or perhaps switching it with the UC fridge.

I like the dish hutch, but would definitely put a 2nd dishwasher to the left of the sink. If you do the cooking and baking this kitchen offers the equipment and space for, I think you could use 2. If just one, I'd put it on the left of the sink, since people with 1 seem to clean dishes in the dw, while doing pots and pans/cooking items by hand.

I love, love, love the baking center/ pantry room, and that the desk is closed off with them, too. For the ultimate pantry and baking work area, I would add a prep sink back there, also, probably on the wall behind the range, but to the baking center end of the run...or at the left end of the baking counter.

I've seen 2 plans recently that make me completely jealous, and this is 1 of them. A fantastic space.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Baking/pantry area: I'd put the sink where I said on the back of the range wall, and put the UC fridge on the left end of the baking center, or vice-versa, so there is some refrigerated storage handy to those work areas.

• histokitch
    16 years ago

I'm wondering about switching the fridge drawers and the warming drawer. Then the warming drawer is near the stove and the fridge drawers are near the glasses. The rest of the plan is fantastic!

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Shh....I'm taking a break from reviewing requirements ***snooze***!

But, I would move the WD to the island in front of the range. Ideally it should be either under or next to (or across from) the range/cooktop [most important location] and as near the MW as possible. Right now, it's nowhere near either of these. The island is an ideal location [close to range] and fairly close to the MW.

Most people here who have their WD a fair distance from their cooktops or ranges find that they do not use them that often--that seems to be the #1 regret when discussing WDs.

• borngrace
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments rhome. I have caused all sorts of "problems" for myself because I want that bank of five windows - and so have lost almost all my uppers. But for me those windows make the kitchen. I love cooking -- do a ton of it -- and hate staring into a wall of cabinets.

So, to address your ideas -- I would love a 2nd dishwasher but DH has completely vetoed unless something else goes. I have four kids and do do a ton of dishes but I always handwash pots and pans. But I will definitely flip flop the dishwasher and trash at the clean-up sink.

I have the fridge drawers in the island because I plan to have them filled with the ingredients that I prep with rather than kid snacks. I figured that since the big fridge is by the micro/breakfast bar area, it made more sense to keep all kid foods/milk/fruit/snacks together and get the salad, peppers, blah blah blah over by where I prep.

I did originally have the warming drawer in the island too -- but architect asked to move it so that we could have some storage that is convenient to the range -- and I see her point. So, I know that it would be more convenient next to range but I "think" having pots and pans there is more important. Over by the hutch I can conveniently warm plates, it is convenient to take stuff to table or island and I am more likely to see light and remember that I left it on.

I'm glad you like the baking center -- I wasn't sure it worked there -- right now I have the kitchenaid mixer on the counter to the right of the sink -- I am trying to decide if I want to do my baking in front of the windows to right of sink and have all my baking stuff adjacent (which is what I was thinking before the architect drew the baking center in the pantry area) or if I should just plan on prepping in that separate space.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

The baking center and whether to stand in front of windows or in actual baking center: The good thing is that you can work either or both places and it should work great!

I thought you had a great fridge to prep sink to counter and range path set up, so didn't see the need for the UC refer, but that's certainly your preference. I still think the warming drawer, which is wider, but shallower would be a better use of that island space. Maybe the UC refer could go under where the mixer is shown and broiler pans could go under the WD in the island?

Just noticed...The dish towels in the bottom drawer of the island? Not the space I'd consider them most convenient...
    But that kind of thing, of course, can be worked out when you're in it!

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Maybe let DH go for the DCS range and tell him you'll only use $1500 of the $3000 savings for the 2nd dishwasher... ;-)

• borngrace
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I know about the dish towels -- I do think they looked at my list and just stuck stuff in drawers at some level.

There are no pot holders by stove but there are about 10 drawers of utinsils and then the random dish towel drawer in island.

I've got to think on the whole warming drawer thing. Also, I realized that I could put additional cabinets or drawers on the island side and gain space there - got to figure out what works best.

Also they didn't plan any space for cutting board storage and I don't like a big clutter of them leaning on counter like I have now.

I have to decide what to put flanking hood also. Those are left blank but I think one will be spices (I have way too many for that single drawer they allocated) and maybe oils on the other side -- or is that space better for . . . what -- I cannot even think what I use regularly.

I also have to figure out where to put my 1,000 cookbooks and I have decorative stuff that I want out again (all but necessities have been living in boxes in basement since we moved)

• borngrace
    Original Author
    16 years ago

HA rhome!!! You are so smart!!! Except I really like those red knobs :-)

I have thought of keeping our current 30 year old kitchenaid and wiring it into the laundry room - but not sure that is just a flight of fancy.

Also -- any opinions on the way the pantry space is divided up? Last pantry we had was a walk in 5 x 7 (maybe) with a U of shelves. This one has open shelving on one side and then real cabinets on the other. I think I need to raise up bottom shelf to fit in bulk items. I also think I am going to move dog food etc to mudroom and free up that allotted space.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Cookbooks in the pantry?

I would sure want cutting boards in the island somewhere.

I would do as you're planning to each side of the hood...Spices on one side and oils on the other. My spice containers are too big (besides being too many) for drawers. Maybe the spice drawer could hold pot holders? Interesting that the arch put them in the baking center...where nothing is hot... I also don't think small appliances go well under the prep sink. ;-) Oh, well, it seems a given that they kind of just slapped things in a big haphazardly, but at least the space is there!

I'm no good at finding places for decorative items. I never seem to plan any in, and I hate things that just sit around and become clutter. Are they wall items or things that need a display shelf?

• rhome410
    16 years ago

We crossposted, I guess.

As long as you have adjustable shelving, you can make room at the bottom, or wherever, for bulk items and whatever you need to store. I would probably do open shelves on both sides, but I suppose it could be nice to have counter in there, and maybe drawers? Do you want to do any tasks in there, or only store things? If it's just storage, I'd make it all shelves and make sure there is something perfect for cookbooks and any other special things you need to have handy.

Special storage, like wire drawers or something, would be nice for potatoes and other non-refrig veggies and fruit, and have a place for broom, mop, etc.

• borngrace
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Right now every cabinet is drawn as a cabinet and I have to figure out what to switch to drawers. I have a bunch of magazine tear pages about storage that I want to see what I can implement.

One I like is a huge deep drawer that has tray storage that you look down into. I'm also trying to figure out the banks of drawers that are drawn and what can really fit in the space. Before I had one deep drawer and 3 shallow above - total waste. In this drawing they have one deep and 2 shallow -- I need to picture how deep the shallow are what can fit there. Our friends house this weekend had 2 deep and one shallow -- how did that fit?

I can have any bells and whistles (ie speciality drawer inserts) I want (well not really becuse they cost money) but I don't know what my options are right now. My architect isn't a push the bells and whistle type so none are drawn in at this point - I have to ask for them.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

The magazine pages are great. With such a wonderful pantry space, I would be looking at every photo of a pantry I could find to make sure it can store what you need/want.

The drawers in our kitchen are all 1 shallow and 2 deep. The 'deep' are about 9". This worked great for everything but my food processor, that, because of it's center post, is about 1/4-1/2" too tall.

I'm not big into bells and whistles. The only thing I insist on, and it's a huge must, is full-extension drawer slides. The only inserts I have are plastic boxes that link for silverware, and a lazy susan for spices, and I got those at that 'very fancy' housewares store, WalMart. :-) We also have one dbl trash pullout, which is fantastic.

When I figure out exactly where I want them, we might add pullouts for the food processor and the deep fryer, since they're heavier. If I'm lucky, the replacement of my dying food processor will fit in the drawer..

I like the huge, deep tray storage idea that you can look down into. I know a lot of people keep theirs up high, but we use ours often, and at 5'3", I'm afraid of pulling things down on myself...or the kids doing it, since they probably use them at least as much as I do.

Here is a photo of our 1 shallow/2 deep drawers. Try to ignore the missing hardware, missing dishwasher panel, missing window trim, and the temporary white cabinet holding the place of my future hutch!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH