Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ehs20815

24' deep pro-style range heat/performance issues?

ehs20815
16 years ago

Hi,

We are mid-remodel and I recently put a deposit down on a Thermador Pro Harmony 36" AG. I liked that it was only 24" deep and would rest flush with my cabinet fronts. (I have a smaller space and was concerned about having plenty of space to open my oven door without feeling hemmed in by the island across from the range.) The foreman on my project mentioned today that they (the construction company) has had to do 2 call-backs/repairs on jobs recently where the heat from the counter-depth ovens discolored or otherwise damaged the sides of the adjacent cabinets (he described it as cosmetic damage, darkening of white paint, specifically). Has anyone else with a counter depth pro range come across this problem? I am especially concerned because my cabinets will be white painted. Any help appreciated!

Comments (10)

• User
    16 years ago

Yes, it's a legitimate concern. And most manufacturer's sell a "heat shield" kit to install between the walls of the oven and the adjacent cabinetry and recommend that adjacent drawers and doors be opened when the self clean cycle is engaged.

• bluekitobsessed
    16 years ago

Why would this be an issue for the 24" range and not for the 27" ranges? Now I'm concerned because I bought the same Thermador.

• arc1017
    16 years ago

HI- I have the Pro Harmony...no problems whatsover with heat and cabinet function or color. It is installed with stained cherry cabinetry all around it, as it's in the island. BTW it has no self-cleaning mode...and fan is very loud that runs whenever you put the oven on and the fan runs for many minutes after you turn it off. I like the oven, and I bought it for the same reason as you, but I really do not like the fan volume. Good Luck...

• User
    16 years ago

It's a concern with any type of range or oven, but especially those with self clean cycles and especially lighter cabinetry which will show the damage worse. That's why all cabinet manufacturer's sell the heat shield kit, and will void the warranty for damage unless it's used as well as opening the doors and drawers. Many KDs don't discuss this with their customers, but all should.

• caligirl_cottage
    16 years ago

I would guess the issue is greater with a 24" deep model because unlike the deeper ones, when you open the door the heat is right next to (rather than in front of) the adjacent cabinets and thus can cause damage that you wouldn't normally experience.

• sbpoll
    16 years ago

We have the 36" Pro Harmony, too. We've got cream colored cabinets, and so far no problems. Mine does have the self-clean setting, but we haven't had to use it yet. We love our range!

• arc1017
    16 years ago

sbpoll- interesting that you said your 36" pro harmony has the cleaning mode...is that the ALL gas model? I'm intrigued. I was certain that this product did not come with self cleaning. Is that a newer model than summer 07? Thanks for the info.

• sbpoll
    16 years ago

arc1017 - Ours is dual-fuel. Is yours all gas? I can't remember exactly when we got it, but it was before Summer 07. It was actually when they first came out with the pro harmony line.

• arc1017
    16 years ago

sbpoll- yes ours is all gas. We wanted the gas-roasting ability, so we went with the AG and we then put in a wall convection oven which is of course electric. I found the pro harmony to suit our every need. The oven seems bigger than any other comparable range, while being 24" deep was just a great bonus! In the showroom it makes the rest look so bulky and ridiculous. It's a great built-in look...I guess I'm preaching to the choir...:)but I am happy with it even without self-clean!

• ehs20815
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all...my Pro Harmony will be installed in about 4 weeks so I will keep everyone posted. Our 36" AG does not have the self-clean function so I am feeling more comfortable with my choice since we won't generate the heat self-clean would. BTW...wouldn't this be an issue for people with wall ovens?