Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boymom23

Need red paint color suggestions, please!

boymom23
15 years ago

Hello! I'm searching for just the right red paint color for my dining room. The adjoining foyer is SW Compatable Cream and the adjacent study is SW Rural Green ( a strong olive-y green.) Due to the colors of my rug and chair in the foyer, I need to keep the red more in the "cranberry"/cool family (meaning no orange-y tones.) Any suggestions? Ideally my painter prefers SW paint, but I'm sure I can color match. I'd love your suggestions, and even to see photos if you have them! Thanks :)

Comments (18)

• yborgal
    15 years ago

Wr have used Benjamin Moore paints in our home: Stuart Gold, Olive Branch and Confederate Red. The red has no orange in it at all.

• bestyears
    15 years ago

We used Ben Moore Ladybug Red, and I found it to be just a true, true red. No blue, no orange....

You can see a bit of it here, though it is deeper and richer looking in real life.
    {{!gwi}}

• boymom23
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Monablair, thank you so much! Your dining room is gorgeous and I love the color! I appreciate you responding!

• boymom23
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bestyears - thank you! What a lovely room! BM seems to be the way to go with reds!

• trk65
    15 years ago

Don't forget that reds can take multiple coats to produce a "solid" accurate color in a different way than most other colors. You might want to look into BM "Aura" paint when going with a red-it will give a beter result in fewer coats. The Aura 'Affinity' pallette also happens to have 3 beautiful reds in it-Caliente, Dinner Party, and Pomegranate.
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/hey157/Paint%20Colors/029.jpg
    This is the Pomegranate.

• trk65
    15 years ago

Sorry-hadn't posted a pic in quite a while.

• bonnieann925
    15 years ago

We have BM Raspberry Truffle in our DR, chosen to compliment the colors in our Bidjar oriental rug. We never tire of this color:

• timber.j
    15 years ago

We used BM Aura Caliente on our island, over a base coat of Wenge (a dark brownish black). It took only two coats of the red to cover. Undercoating with a dark primer or color helps with the deep rich reds.

• lilbit77
    15 years ago

we have cant remember exact name but its color place form walmart i think the name is brick hearth or hearth red. i love it, its in our dr

• stu2900
    15 years ago

We used SW Bolero in our basement. It might be a bit too orange for what you're wanting, but it's worth a look.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    15 years ago

We have Sherwin Williams Barn in our dining room. It was a Martha Stewart color and they can mix it in a sample although it may no longer be part of their collection as they are no longer contracted.

The adjoining kitchen will one day be compatible cream and the living room next to it is Napery.

• snickysnacker
    15 years ago

I went through the same journey to find the perfect red. Although I painted my kitchen Eddie Bauer Log Cabin, I wish I had used SW "Crabby Apple". I think it is the most perfect red there is.
    Good luck!!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

monablair, I just wanted to say your dining room is so lovely. I confess to a feeling of jealousy. The color is so wonderful, really rich and beautiful, and it makes the room glow.

• saskatchewan_girl
    15 years ago

BM Louisianna Hot Sauce is what my friend painted her kitchen in.............a warm burnt red/orange that really looks great with her hickory cabinets and zebra flooring : )

• yborgal
    15 years ago

southernmum and ingrid_vc, thank you for the compliments.

We were initially uneasy about using red in such a central space. The DR is right off the (gold) Foyer and is seen the minute someone walks in the front door. It also opens to the (olive) Sun Room at the back of the house. Actually, it only has two walls and is kind of the hub of the house.

I don't know when it happened but now I tend to think of red as a strong neutral color and I feel brave about using it as an accent color in most rooms.

• holrbak
    15 years ago

If only I could figure out how to post pictures.....:-( anyway I painted my laundry room RL Balmoral Red. I love the color, it makes me happy and doing laundry doesn't seem so bad anymore!

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

BM Dinner Party Red looks gorgeous!

Here is a link that might be useful: Affinity Palette

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Even better are pictures using the Affinity Palette in someone's home. Here is their website! Click on the paint colors to see the painted rooms. Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Scott Family Home