Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
budster_gw

Don't you love new quilt shops??

budster
15 years ago

A new one has opened up a few kilometers from where I live. I happened to be in the village and asked a few business owners where "the new fabric shop" was located. Only one knew and directed me accordingly. Picture an old heritage house with original fittings - floorings, newel post on the grand stairwell, stained glass windows, pocket doors and crown moulding by the mile...... you enter by the front door into a summer porch with welcoming plants and couches you want to stretch out on and just enjoy the sun, the main enterance has said stairwell rising up to the second floor (where they are fixing up things so I couldn't get up there !) the lovely hued wood on the walls a lovely golden hue.... on the left of the main enterance was the "shop" where without distrubing the original features are free standing shelves of lovely fabrics arranged by colors and types....row upon row of colors. On top of the shelves the lady had arranged a wonderful assortment of featherweights all polished and making you want to reach up and take one down and begin sewing... she had the cases as well and an assortment of different feet in another display. Being as I own a featherweight myself, we got talking about all her different machines....and she knew so much...each had a name and she knew the when and where each was made......and she then pointed out the distinctive features of each. It was an interesting lesson for me. Then she showed me her "soon to be" classroom in the old parlor and dining room area of the house......it was also a work in motion but you could certainly see the love going into the preparation. After taking up enough of the lady's time I bid good bye and she walked me to the front door like an old friend, shook my hand and asked me back ..... there was only one customer in the whole place during the time I was there but I am sure business will pick up once word is out. Isn't it nice to feel "at home" rather than in a superbox style store sometimes. I must go back and post pictures for you all when it is all done. Just thought you might like to hear of my latest adventure. Budster

Comments (13)

• pixieab
    15 years ago

Budster, would love to know where this quaint store is located. We are heading on holidays tomorrow....from Okotoks (south of Calgary) to Kamloops and then on to Vancouver Island and points inbetween. See that you are in southern BC so perhaps our travels will pass this location. Am always looking for quilt shops and ideas. If you are ever out this way, be sure to stop by our LQS; another one maintaining the "old" features of the building it is located in(Rumpled Quilt Skins). Thankyou
    PixieAB (Penny)

• Nancy Morris
    15 years ago

Budster, That sounds like a very good place to spend time. I love looking at fabrics and that place sounds so homey. It would be very comfortable. You also gave a very good description. Pics would be great. Thanks, Nancy

• scraphappy
    15 years ago

Oh, I wish that shop were closer to me! What a joy it will be to visit there. We have a little quiltshop in our city that is in an older, two-story house that's been redecorated so sweet and it's fun to just wander around and see all the decor she has out.

• vicky4x4
    15 years ago

Your make it sound so lovely. Our LQS is in an old church and it is very quaint the first room is filled with cross stitch kits and I think someone has way too much time on their hands because there is framed cross stitches for most of the patterns on the walls. The back room is full of fabric. I love the sight and feel of everything there. I wish I could buy more of my fabric there but I have to go where I can afford if I'm to sew at all. I do go there for special things like 1930 prints. It's nice and the people are knowledgeable and friendly.

Vicky

• biwako_of_abi
    15 years ago

The place sounds so wonderful from your description that I am hoping I will dream about it, as I'm not likely to ever get there. Just curious--is the owner of the shop planning to live there? What a glorious thing that would be!

• budster
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I forgot to add the owner told me from the front steps as I left that in the side and backyard they are going to restore the Victorian flowergarden that has much gone to weed and wilderness.....but she said there are lovely old plants awaiting discovery once again and she is planning on putting in garden benches and tables out under the large shady trees for fellow quilters/sewers/needleworkers to drop by and sit out of the sun, to visit and work. This will be a fenced, semi screened off area and with the large trees I could just picture myself enjoying a few hours of leisure with like minded people in such surroundings enjoying the scent of flowers in the air. I certainly hope all the lady's plans work out --I don't know if they are planning on living on the premises (upstairs would be quite roomy) but for now it is a work in progress but aren't dreams like this lovely?

• nanajayne
    15 years ago

It is wonderful to have a LQS in town. My nearest is over 10 miles away. She took over an old train depot which is charming on the outside but she didn't retain any of the r.r. charm on the inside. It sounds as though yours is making great use of the ambience of the old house to make shopping a real pleasure. I wish it were closer, as one of my pleasures in life is shopping for fabric. Jayne

• digger
    15 years ago

Oh please do tell where this wonderful place is...we're going to be vacationing in Shirley, BC next week and if it's within range DH will be happy to play 'James'...

Digger
    aka Marie in Michigan

• carolek
    15 years ago

This place sounds like a shop created in a novel, especially with the added garden. After your description, I am ready for the characters to be introduced and the plot to commence. It brought to mind the China Bayles mysteries although her passion is an herb shop.

My local quilt shop is also placed in a house, but it is small and conventional. It still has a comfortable feeling, very little like a store in town.

Do you by chance write for a living or as a avocation?
    Carole

• pixieab
    15 years ago

But Where Is It??!!??!! Do share, please.

• User
    15 years ago

Hi Budster!
    I'm cruising the quilting forum again - thinking about getting a cut quilt sewn...do post a pic of this piece of heaven store! LOL

• budster
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I am just waiting to see if digger gets in touch with me. She is planning on coming this way if time allows her to visit the shop. She said to me she would post a follow up for you all. I will take pictures later once more of the finishing is done for sure but the next time I'm out that way I will ask if I can post a few pictures of the place for everyone....I am sure the owner will be happy to hear everyone is so encouraging.

• jennifer_in_va
    15 years ago

it sounds like a lovely place to spend a quiet afternoon!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH