Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn237

please vote on your first choice for a bedroom

Lyban zone 4
9 years ago

I need some help in making a decision on these two choices.
They are for a childs bedroom.
both choices are in the white
the drawer base is on bottom and cupboard on top for a builit in around bed.these are Ikea .
Do you prefer the panel on the left in photo or the shaker look on right side of photo.
Please Vote:Left or Right
drawers in first photo......cupboards in second

Comments (19)

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Right.
    Reason? You could paint the flat panel center with chalkboard paint (if you make your own you could do so in a color to match the room) and write what's in the drawer to teach the child to read. That is if the child is not past that age.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

Right. I like simple lines, and I'm a kid at heart :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

What else is going on in the room? Style?

• crl_
    9 years ago

Is the left lidingo and the right adel? If so, I believe the left is painted wood and the right is thermofoil, am I right? I'd go painted wood every time.

Setting aside the construction materials, the left is more traditional and the right is more transitional/modern. Which style fits your room/home better?

• garden_fairy
    9 years ago

I like the style on the right in both images. I don't like the knobs in the left image.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Ikea cabinets come sans knobs/pulls so those can be switched to anything at all.

• mom2samlibby
    9 years ago

Right

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Right.

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! that surprises me.
    So far it seems that everyone likes the right hand better
    I was sure it was going to be the left.
    I was thinking that the right side looked a bit too kitcheny.
    The knobs would be changed for sure.

Please keep the votes coming.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Right.

• lolauren
    9 years ago

Right.

• CaroleOH
    9 years ago

I like the right too. A little more contemporary/up to date looking.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Wait, not everyone votes right. If I am right about the materials, I vote left. I would for sure use a wood door over thermofoil in a bedroom.

And I'd guess a few other people might feel that way too if I am right about the materials, especially as at least one person mentioned liking the ability to paint the center, which probably wouldn't work very well over thermofoil. Still guessing here, but I think the reason you think the right style looks more kitcheny is the thermofoil avd that's not showing up in the pictures, but it does IRL.

I really think you need to consider the material the door is made of.

This post was edited by crl_ on Mon, May 5, 14 at 9:18

• yayagal
    9 years ago

The one with the long handles.

• aputernut
    9 years ago

Left in both images for a bedroom, the first set on the right looks like a file cabinet?

• User
    9 years ago

The right is a fake shaker look, it is routed just as the left cabinets are. You can tell this because the flat panels framing the recessed area are a single piece. That would be enough to make me vote for the,one on the left.

However, painted wood trumps thermofoil regardless of style, so if only one is painted that would be my choice, regardless. If both are painted, I choose the left, and of neither is painted I would continue to look.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

According to the names crl_ gave, both are fiberboard. The left is painted with acrylic/polyester paint and the right is covered with melamine foil.
    We're talking a child's room here. If said child isn't climbing all over, hanging from the open doors/drawers or miss treating them, and only lyban can judge that, then I'd say the construction should fine for the purpose of built ins around a child's bed.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I would go with the left. I like a traditional style. The shaker style drawers look like filing cabinet drawers.

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again everyone for the votes.
    For the ones thinking the right hand looks like filing cabinets, I think the hardware is the reason for that.
    We are thinking small crystal knobs for whichever we choose.

I spent all afternoon at ikea. Both doors are fiberboard ,with the left hand one painted with polyester paint and the right hand one fiberboard and melamine foil.
    I spoke with a customer rep. And he told me he has been with ikea for 25 years, first in Sweden and now here in canada and he seemed to know his product quite well.
    He said that both were good but Adel the one on the right had the least repair problems. I do not think he was trying to sell me on something because that one is less expensive.
    But that he would not be hesitant with either product.

We have another 2 weeks before having to make a decision, but I really appreciate all the feedback that I received here.

I