Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudels

Front entrance, awkward shallow display area on tall wall??

trudels
11 years ago
Any suggestions, this area is visible from front door entry, so would like to make positive impact. Seem like should be something tall displayed as there is a high ceiling. But each step is only shallow. Help!!

Comments (42)

• Belle La Vue
    11 years ago
    There are too many small items on the steps. It looks too busy. Placing plants on a rug like that seems awkward. Honestly, I would be tempted to remove all items from the steps and then find a nice large piece of art to replace the smaller art on the right wall. Have the oomph on the wall. I would be curious to see what other Houzzer's have to say on this.
  • trudels
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Thanks, for input,hows this. Any better??
  • trudels
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Will have to keep an eye out for larger picture to replace the 2 paintings. Thanks. I wonder if I should remove the top step, that way the surface would be larger to place an object on?? Any other suggestions welcome!
  • Belle La Vue
    11 years ago
    I think that looks better. Once you find a larger picture you may want to remove the mirror as well. Now that I look at it again... I am wondering if you could remove the top two smaller steps and leave just the lower bottom step? If the step is made from hardwood then you would have an attractive surface for display. Then you would have more area to display a bigger plant with more impact if you like. Or you could put something there like a basket for slippers or socks for people to borrow when entering your house (if you like people to remove shoes) or catchall for gloves etc..
  • PRO
    McCabe By Design LLC
    11 years ago
    I concur with Bonnie, remove the top step. I would prefer to see a smaller piece of framed art where the mirror is now and then put a mirror on the other wall (a taller one allowing you to take a glance at yourself before you exit the house) with a small table under if for car keys and another piece of framed art.
  • sandkshouse
    11 years ago
    Yeah, ditch the top step. Then use tall, slender vases with some artfully arranged weeds / branches / twigs to add height. I could see brightly colored glass to add impact and make a statement. Check Pier 1, World Market or I.O. Metro for vases.
  • nasmijati
    11 years ago
    I agree to remove the top step.

I thought of a functional way to use the space, and a purely decorative one.

Functional:
    I would make the two lower steps the place where shoes are placed. Put a bench or small slipper chair nearby to sit on. Have a large basket of slippers/ paper shoe covers such as surgeons wear/ footie socks/ for guests to wear in your home.
    I agree to put a mirror on the wall where the artwork is now for last minute appearance checks. Also put a shelf for keys.

If your children use the front door when they leave for school, make the shelf longer and wider for papers you need to sign, and put hooks underneath for backpacks.

Decorative:
    If the area has access to an electrical outlet, remove the two top steps. Hang a quarter-round recirculating fountain on the wall, with the water gently flowing into a large pot on the bottom step. You will need to paint the wall with a waterproof paint first.
  • trudels
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The pictures don't show it but across from the stairs, there are 2 sets of mirror door closets. so 4 mirror doors. So another mirror would be too much. I did think of a water feature as a possiblitiy but no plug close by :(. Will have to convince my hubby to remove the step or steps inorder to come up with solution. Thanks for all the suggestions. Needed some backup befiore trying to convince him. :)
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    11 years ago
    I would box in the steps there and find a realy wonderful LARGE piece of art work for the wall, maybe , depending on the art work you could put a spectactular vase on top of the box you created.
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    Currently the small mirror and the two pictures are hung so they look like even more steps going up and they are spaced way to far apart. Remove the small mirror completely. Hang the largest picture so it is just to the left of the light switches. I can't tell if that is a dog laying down in the picture (toward the right side) but whatever it is should be hung where the top of its head is about even with the light switches. Then the other picture should be hung about 2" over the first one.

It looks like you have a large schefflera plant on the other side of the steps on a narrow wall. Why not bring it over to this side and put it directly under teh pictures?

As for the steps...you only draw attention to them when you sit things on them. You can completely ignore them and have other interesting items that draw teh eye. They will become somewhat invisible.

Hope to see updates soon!
  • palucna
    11 years ago
    My thoughts are to ditch the top or perhaps even the top two steps. Buy a used bench, chest, hutch, even an old bedroom dresser will do. make sure it is long enough to stretch out accross the bare wall. Cut the legs down on one end of the hutch, or add legs to one end of the bench, secure it to the remain step. Ideally you want it to be secure enough to throw a couple of cushions on to sit down when you come in and double as storrage.
  • trudels
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    wow, that's a great idea. Will think about that option as well!
  • sandkshouse
    11 years ago
    Just an idea.
  • trudels
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Been playing around with all the suggestions. Tried removing everything from the steps, but no matter what my eye kept beeing drawn there. So I had to place something there. I see now that the 2 paintings are not hung well. I will move them, but there may be blood shed over this. My husband haites to put more nails in the wall and trying to make others disapear. :( The new painting, replacing the mirror looks better I think. What about you guys, am I making any progress??
  • sandkshouse
    11 years ago
    Looking at this, again, if you are going to take down the top step, take down top two steps.
  • trudels
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    images
  • trudels
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    having trouble loading images??
  • Belle La Vue
    11 years ago
    Trudel... for hanging a painting without holes in your wall try the 3M velcro strips. You can literally fasten the painting flat to the wall. The painting won't tilt forward as is sometimes the case with picture hangers plus it keeps the painting in place-- no more crooked pictures. Look for the flat velcro strips not the 3M hooks. The 3M strips are wall friendly and completely removable without destroying your wall. 3M makes different types of velcro strips so make sure you buy the ones for decor that state they are REMOVABLE. I have seen the strips for sale at Home Depot, Lowes, Target and Staples and other places that carry home stuff.
  • trudels
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    make sure you hover mouse over photo, to see full view
  • Belle La Vue
    11 years ago
    Oh, I see the picture now. At first I did not hover mouse! It looks nice now. I would add a small table or console to right of chair to help anchor the space. Also, I think your paintings are too high. Aim to hang paintings so that center of artwork is about 60 inches up from floor.
  • trudels
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Bonnie, I love you for that tip, are they strong enough??
  • Belle La Vue
    11 years ago
    They are really strong. Each package bears a pound rating to show how much weight it can support. They would definitely be strong enough for those paintings.
  • trudels
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    sandkshouse: thats so cool, the cut and paste you did!!
  • Belle La Vue
    11 years ago
    Link to 3M products http://www.command.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/NACommand/Command/Smart-Ideas/Picture-Hanging/ I have no affiliation with 3M. I just find the products easy to use.
  • Jeffery Rost
    11 years ago
    two tall framed pieces of coordinating art would also look nice in the corner (hung at right angels) whether they are framed or stretched on canvas, just make sure they are tall. the other 2 pictures that are there really really need to be hung better or removed,your hubby will survive the extra nail holes, A basket or box or stack of vintage suitcases would look super along with a bench for easy storage and shoe/boot removal. good luck and be sure to post more pictures as you progress
  • janetdixieinc
    11 years ago
    Try moving the large potted plant where the elephant planter is. Remove everything from the walls. This art work is too small for this area. Place a bench covered in your solid color of choice. Purchase a large picture the width of bench.
  • janetdixieinc
    11 years ago
    Try moving the large potted plant where the elephant planter is. Remove everything from the walls. This art work is too small for this area. Place a bench covered in your solid color of choice. Purchase a large picture the width of bench.
  • trudels
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    latest attempt, still need to change paintings tho
  • trudels
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    click on photo to see full view
  • PRO
    Pizzazz! Home Decor, LLC
    11 years ago
    On the narrow wall, I would put a tall candle wall sconce....27 -36 " tall to draw the eye up from them steps. Or a shelf underneath the mirror with a candle and small plant. Pretend the steps aren't there.
    On the long wall, try putting a console table with a lamp and some other accessories with a large piece of art or a set of 3 coordinating paintings or metal art above. I can't tell how close it is to the front door but you may also want to add a large area rug in front of a console table.
  • PRO
    EB Interiors
    11 years ago
    im thinking of two long pieces that coordinate for each wall...at least 3-4 ft long
  • tennisanyone
    11 years ago
    This is your entryway right? Too many small things calls attention to what is wrong. Add a long and tall console table with a big tall mirror and a lamp on one side and the use that awkward space for a tall vase with branches. or just leave stuff off of it until you get a table or remove the stairs entirely.
  • Belle La Vue
    11 years ago
    I think the new look is an improvement. You are moving in the right direction but I do agree with "tennisanyone". In order to really nail the look for this entry, I do think you need to move the focal point away from the corner. As per my original post, have the oomph on the long wall. I would not hang anything on the short wall. If you hang a large piece of the art over a beautiful console -all the better. Still I would remove the top two steps and put a modest plant there, or if possible remove all three steps if you can. Have the focal point be the long wall.
  • sonriewife
    11 years ago
    this is great for such a space! WOW you all are goood!!! I am wondering about something as small as going to a second hand store or even spray painting so the Frames are the same. That brings things together so much. Also if you decide none of this works.?? Might check and see if there is wood instead of carpet under there. That would streamline that space a lot as well.
  • sonriewife
    11 years ago
    I really agree take em out or atleast see if they are wood. i will send some pics. Your husband doesn't like holes? Waits til he reads this forum? :)
  • sonriewife
    11 years ago
    I know where these stairs came from! look close!
  • sonriewife
    11 years ago
    m makes the most of this staircase.
    asian staircase by Donald K. Olsen, AIA Architects
  • Belle La Vue
    11 years ago
    sonriewife... do you have a link?
  • trudels
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Never thought I would get such a great response from my silly problem. This has been great to use you all as my sounding board, and receiving so many suggestions. The earlier photo shows the original "designing purpose to these stairs" Click on the photo to see full view!
  • sonriewife
    11 years ago
    Bonnie I actually found it on here. I went to unique staircase forums. Then I found these wooden stairs. I googled his sight and o my gosh, he has some beautiful houses hence my not replying to the conversation last night. o, and chair outlet is in the Northwest Chairoutlet.com
  • sonriewife
    11 years ago
    houzz "odd staircase" forums" it was in storage