Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iowaremodel

Need Help! First Kitchen remodel...

iowaremodel
15 years ago

This is my husband & I first kitchen remodel! I have picked out the cabinets & countertop, but need help with the backspalsh and flooring.

Cabinets: Bertch cabinets in Birch Snowbank

Counter: Wilsonart Galactic Black

Floor: Linoleum of some sort!

Backsplash: NO CLUE!

A little background, the house is an old farm house which we will only be living in for any where from 2 to 15 years...just depends on when the family farm is passed on to us. Our house is decent but nothing fancy, appraised at $75,000. Our current kitchen is OLD. I think the cabinets came over on the Mayflower. It has carpet now, YUCK! We have 2 daughters (3 and 16 mo) and plan to have more.

I just need help with ideas on what type of backslash is affordable/easy to install, as well as the flooring. As well as patterns that are attractive with my choices. Any recommendations or things to avoid would be great!! If you have pictures of yours you want to share that would be wonderful too!

Thanks!!!!

Comments (4)

• idrive65
    15 years ago

My ancestors came over on the Mayflower, we've been looking for those family heirloom cabinets for centuries!

Tile? You might be able to DIY if you're handy and you can get very inexpensive tile at HD. If you are looking for really easy, a sheet of stainless steel behind the range and beadboard everywhere else.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

It seems that with the cabinets and counter you have chosen, the sky is almost the limit with the backsplash, depending on the impact you want it to have. Clean, simple, and classic?...You could use white subways. For classic, but with a little more drama, maybe subways in glass or olive...or other deeper color of your choice. (I keep saying subways, because nice smooth subways are usually consistently sized and of consistent thickness which makes for an easier installation, and since they're relatively large, fewer of them are needed). If you want a backsplash with more pizazz, there are glass mosaics, etc. For very simple, maybe beadboard.

To give you more help you need to help us more...Colors you like or are in the house, the style and feel you're going for, etc.

Maybe start with flooring, which generally has to flow with the rest of the house somehow, then let that narrow your backsplash choices. Also, look at stores, and look at magazines and on-line photos to see what you like. You can start with the Finished Kitchens Blog, which has kitchens, as well as backsplash pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchens Blog

• iowaremodel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay here is a little update, I picked the floor and changed the counter top to Wilsonart Bella Noche (high def). here is a picture of the wall color (red) and backsplash color (hearth). The red is a little more red though...I was having a hard time with the flash making the colors off. The others in the picture are the flooring sample and cabinet color/finish. The light color will be the ceiling (off the same swatch as the hearth color).

My dining room vallances are striped they have the red in them and the curtains are the hearth shade...so I think it carries over nicely.

What do you think???

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Is that tumbled marble for the backsplash? I would love to see just an accent of glass tile in a reddish tone to tie into the wall color and highlight the reddish variation in the granite. Or even a ceramic accent tile in that color if you feel glass is too contemporary. What material hardware did you choose?