Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluekitten_gw

Need help picking kitchen paint color

BlueKitten
12 years ago

This is a re-post from the kitchen forum ... hope that's OK!

I'm torn about what paint color to use in our new kitchen.

The lady I'm working with at our tile shop recommended a shade of brown, which would work, but I'm feeling like that might be *too much* brown with the rest of my choices. What else would you recommend?

I wish I had more pics, but here's a rundown of my choices:

- Granite is Giallo Ornamental - the background is light and creamy, with flecks of brown, white, even a tiny bit of green if you look closely

- Backsplash tile is linked below

- Silgranit sink in Cafe Brown

- Cabinets are SW Natural Choice (slight off-white) and island is dark walnut

- Floors also are walnut

What else would you recommend? Blue looks awesome with the backsplash tile, but is that a faux pas since the granite doesn't have any blue? Also, I think I'd like the kitchen elements to be the stars, not the paint color. I just want the paint to be complementary and lovely. I'm going for a warm, cozy vibe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backsplash tile - Eight Days A Week

Comments (11)

• gmnolen
    12 years ago

Could you pull the green from the granite? Or if it is a dark green, then a lighter shade. Something that will open the kitchen up rather than making it dark and closing it in. Without seeing a picture, it is hard to give suggestions. I'm sure some of the other GWers will have some great ideas.

• BlueKitten
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gmnolen, this is part of the struggle. Our house is a new build. I'm having to select paint colors before anything has actually been installed. So, I'm relying purely on stain samples, my granite sample, and a photo of the tile (because my tile supplier won't let me take a sample). If that isn't a recipe for paint-picking disaster, I don't know what is.

The green in the granite is VERY subtle and light. It's not something you notice on first glance at all. You notice the creams, grays, whites, and a reddish-brown color.

• gmnolen
    12 years ago

. . . bump . . .

• limogique
    12 years ago

What about a color similar to coffee with cream?

• dakota01
    12 years ago

If your kitchen is open to the other areas you may want a coordinating color.
    I would thik with your cabs, floor, granite a sage green, or the other extreme a sienna red/orange.
    Sounds like most of your hardware is neutral - so you have lots of room to play

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

Take a look at some of the more neutral greens, like Camouflage, Gray Mirage, maybe Paris Rain (all Ben Moore colors).

Also consider the wall colors you're using in the adjacent rooms, if you've chosen them already. Ideally, the colors used throughout your main living areas should work well together.

• BlueKitten
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmm, interesting thoughts. Sueb, I like Camouflage a lot. My builder uses Sherwin Williams. I'm a little concerned that a green-gray color might look the cabinets look like a dirty white (they're SW Natural Choice). But ... I'm definitely hoping to use greenish grays in the main living area, which is open to the kitchen, so I'll do some experimenting.

• Sunshine987
    12 years ago

I was going to recommend staying neutral. After viewing sueb20's choices, I'd say Paris Rain or Camouflage. I agree too many browns. You want blue so you want a cool tone. Maybe look through the off white section at your local Ben Moore.

• chickadee2_gw
    12 years ago

I'd be nervous picking out colors just from small samples. I guess they won't let you pick out the actual slabs of granite they'd be installing? That's what I'd want to do. I googled your granite and there seems to be a lot of variations in the colors. That's why I would want to see the slabs before I chose my tile, etc.

Here's one kitchen I found, but I don't know what's going on with the back splash and wall color. I'm seeing gray, red and brown and olive.
    http://www.marble.com/portfolio/kitchens/165

On this site they say there's more grey and black in the granite. I agree what they say about the back splash. I don't think I'd like the brown tile or sink.
    http://www.ehow.com/list_7576927_colors-go-giallo-ornamental-granite.html

Here they have some pics with the lighter but rougher faced tile like they mention above.
    http://www.granitegurus.com/2010/08/slab-sunday-giallo-ornamental-granite.html

You should be able to get samples of the tile you're interested in. If you can't get it from one dealer, go to another or order samples from the company that makes the tile. You'd think you'd get better customer service in this economy.

• edmasbetsy
    12 years ago

My kitchen seems very similar to yours except for blackpslash. I have the same granite, off white cabs, but my blacksplash is a tumbled travertine, tan, off white bricks. I got a sample of BM camouflage and thought it was too green, Revere Pewter was a bit too light/drab for me. I dont have much natural light, and my kit will be same color as family room. I am now considering SW Relaxed Khaki, has anyone used this color??

• BlueKitten
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Betsy, I looked at some paint samples last night and may have a recommendation for you: SW Universal Khaki. It was a tad too warm for my space, but sounds like it could work with your backsplash tiles, which are warmer. I tried the SW match to Camouflage and didn't like it at all. Great color, but not right at all. I'm ending up with SW Mindful Gray. When I held it up to my cabinet color, granite and backsplash, it just clicked.