Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

Does anyone know the style of these 'rare early' chairs on my CL?

My3dogs ME zone 5A
14 years ago

I would guess that they are repros, and the seat cushion looks very odd to me. I'd love to see a link or a picture of a chair with a similar frame that has an original seat style.

Does anyone have a name for the style? Appreciate your help!

The seller's description is simply "RARE EARLY (FRENCH?) CHAIRS WITH CLAW FEET".

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (11)

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

They are Neoclassical in idea...the frame is based on the Savonarola chair. The X-shape has been around since Egypt, Greece, and Rome. As to their rarity or earliness, you'd need an expert's eye. I'm not convinced. But they are charming chairs, and could be reupholstered to look wonderful, if the price is right.

Here is a link that might be useful: Examples of the Savonarola chair

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You know, bronwynsmom, as I wrote the post, I thought to myself, I bet bronwynsmom knows what these are! I wonder what they look like under those cushions?

I have asked for additional pics. I enjoyed looking at the photos in your link, and saw that very few had any upholstery on them. These are priced at $150 per chair, and are nearby, so maybe, since it's raining AGAIN, and is supposed to for the next 7 days anyway, I might go to see them.

Do you know what would be a good price for a repro? I'll know if they are old if I see them and will carefully examine them, but I won't know if they are older repros most likely.

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

Thank you for your misplaced confidence in me, but yikes! A good price? Depends on quality, condition, and what you think is reasonable. Are they heavy and solid; is the joinery careful and skilled? Is the finish in good condition?

I agree that the current upholstery is pretty grim, but these seem to be made to have it...I think a good experienced upholsterer could do much better. If I were buying them, I might offer $225 for the pair, but only if they are very good. If they look like basic 1960 furniture store things, I'd pass them by unless you can get the price down by about half.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just called the 'poster', who is listing them for a man in his 60s, who is not PC savvy. He said the man is going to sell his three homes and all of their antique contents and buy an RV and travel the country! Prices are low because he just wants to sell the items and get traveling.

I just called the seller himself, and he purchased them at an estate sale several years ago, when the pres. of the college had a death in the family and was selling a lot of their antiques. They had uses them for years in their house and had loved them. They have been re-upholstered and if I buy one, it'll be re-done again!

• mclarke
    14 years ago

When I saw your chairs, I immediately thought of a famous photo of the actor Edwin Booth (John Wilkes' brother) in the role of Hamlet.

He is sitting in a similar chair:

{{!gwi}}

It is called a curule chair -- supposedly from the Latin currus, or chariot.

They have been around since the Egyptians. Wikipedia has an entry... here's lots more...

Here is a link that might be useful: Curule chairs

• mclarke
    14 years ago

Oh, and you can also find information if you search for "cross frame chairs" or "crossed frame chairs."

Let us know what you decide!

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

They look like 1920-40s mass-market chairs based on the 1890s classical revival of the 1780s neoclassical movement because ....

1 - The back x-frames are absolutely flat, not finished to match the fronts like better furniture would be.

2 - the side rails in the neo-classical ones from the 1890s are straight or fluted, not squiggly like these. The squiggles are contamination from the popular "Jacobethan" ornateness of that era.

3 - The front x-frame is also flat, an indication it was jig-sawed or press-cut from plywood and veneered, and has the rounded lip that was widely used in that era. Better chairs would clearly show the individual pieces they were made from.

4 - The upholstery is inset in a delicately curved wooden frame ... the shape reeks of the 1930s popular style.

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

Great story by the poster. Hmmm...owned by a little old lady who only drove it on Sundays...?

Lazygardens has covered it, so be cautious!

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Wow, you gals are GOOD! Could any of you *pretty please* tell me anything about my sofa and fainting couch pictured at the link below? They truly are old originals, not copies. The sofa (and matching chair I pictured in the red sofa thread) had Spanish moss stuffing, and the FC had inside a tiny remnant of what I think was the oritinal covering, black oilcloth made to look like leather, and straw as part of its stuffing. Thanks in advance!!

My3dogs, I know if you get your hands on them, they will turn out stunning, like everything else you touch. Please keep us posted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sofa and Fainting Couch

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I saw them, and left without one. Lazygardens isn't quite right as they are solid wood - no veneer and the front is made in two sections. But they are painted a deep rusty red, with gold accents, and they absolutely are not as 'early' as the poster listed.

I gently told the seller that they are far more recent, and therefore worth less than he was asking. HE felt that they were still well made chairs - they are - but not what I was hoping to see.

I passed a nursery near my mother's with a good sale on trees and shrubs and bought 2 Japanese Maples instead! :-)

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Oh that's a nice consolation prize, My3! Too bad about the chairs, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Knowing you, you will find something spectacular.