Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kpaquette_gw

Pullout trash bin - knob or pull?

kpaquette
15 years ago

What do you have on your trash bin?

The door looks like a cabinet door, but since it's a pull out it seems like a pull would make more sense than a knob. It has a drawer on top, which will have a knob - but right next to it is the sink base, which will have knobs on the doors.

If I did put a knob on it, i'd want it situated in the same place as the other knobs on similar doors - on the upper left (in this case) - but that seems wrong.

What is normally done? It seems like a pull would make more sense, but it will be the only door like it with a pull instead of a knob. I'm ordering today and I'm not sure what to do.

Comments (29)

• kpaquette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That should read that the drawer on top will have a pull - not a knob. I have knobs and pulls too much on the brain right now. ;-)

• Fori
    15 years ago

Good question!

I'm planning on a foot pedal to do the actual opening, but I want it to look like everything else too. Maybe I should give up and put a towel bar on it. Normally I see knobs or pulls that match the other cabinets, but placed in the middle. I guess if you have a knob or pull above it, you won't notice as much that the "cabinet" knob is also in the middle. Hmm.

• momof3kids_pa
    15 years ago

I put a pull because I did consider the trash pullout to be more "drawer" like, and the way my pulls are designed it seemed I could open it easier with my pinky if needed, as opposed to a knob -- and less overall contact with the chrome surface.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• pirula
    15 years ago

Mine have knobs, because I only did knobs. Works fine.

• momof3kids_pa
    15 years ago

BTW, thanks for asking this question because it led me to post the picture which is reminding me that I gotta paint my homemade trash bag frame!!! It looks horrible! [maybe I'll wallpaper it?? but I digress]

• kpaquette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

here is the base - pic taken by DH to help me decide on the finish. If I did a pull, it would be on that top stile. Same if it were a knob, though centered?

• lexluthor
    15 years ago

Wow, great question.

My cabinets are in, but I haven't done the hardware yet.

I have the exact same situation as you. We are mixing kbobs and pulls. Knob will be on the drawer on top of the garbage pull out cabinet. I was originially thinking a knob in the center, but maybe not so sure now. I don't think I could position a knob on the left or right or it won't pull out smoothly.

• Fori
    15 years ago

If you need to use the hardware to open it (instead of a pedal), better stick it in the middle I think, just for better performance. And for trash, I agree with the pinky-pullout momof3kids talks about--use the pull! (but the knob would be fine too).

So helpful.

• rosie
    15 years ago

It's likely not what you're going to want to do, but my trash pullout right next to the sink (and not too much on the sightline from the living room) was the perfect place for a towel bar-style handle, which fulfills all functions beautifully--except beauty itself, of course.

• kpaquette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hmmm well I do need a towel bar - the stove is behind and to the left of the sink, so not close. I was probably going to mount a towel bar on the inside of the sink base door, if I found I needed one nearby. If it were a larger cabinet maybe I'd do a larger version of the same handle and use it as a towel bar, but since it's only an 18" cabinet, and the pulls I'm using are already 6", I'm afraid anything bigger would look odd. And it is in a pretty prominent spot.

Well maybe there is no wrong answer? I honestly can't decide which would look better - a pull or a centered knob. I think i'm leaning towards the pull, though. I wish I'd thought to ask if they had a pedal. ;-)

• mom2reese
    15 years ago

I have a trash pull-out next to my sink base, too. I did pulls everywhere, so I put the pull on the stile of the pull-out so that it looked like a cabinet door.

We've been using the kitchen for a few months now, and while I haven't had any problems, I will say it seems weird to be pulling the cabinet out from one side rather than from the center, so if I had to do it over I'd strongly consider putting my pull in the top rail instead.

So long, rambling post short, if I were in your shoes, I'd use a pull centered in the top rail. I don't think it will look funny and it will be the most functional/sturdy. Trash pullouts, even with smooth glides, are heavier and I don't think a knob is going to cut it, especially if it's mounted on the stile.

Nice hardware and door combo, btw!

• elizpiz
    15 years ago

Here's my pullout trash and composting...

And my recycle...

We use the trash a *lot* and no problems with it being off centre or a knob.

HTH,
    Eliz

• kpaquette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks mom2reese! I've lost sleep over how the glaze turned out...but that's a whole other thread. LOL I'm hoping it all pulls together in the end.

Thanks for the pics Eliz! I think in your case, you def. did the right thing by putting a knob on your trash to the side, since it's part of a "double door" (I'm sure there's a technical name for that LOL.)

I was worried about it looking different, but maybe that's not such a bad thing, since it is the trash bin (easier for guests to find - this is a vacation home with a revolving door of guests.) See now I'm trying to justify. haha.

• mom2reese
    15 years ago

Very nice, Elizpiz!

When I said I didn't think a knob wasn't going to cut it, I was thinking in terms of my own trash pull-out which has two trash cans in it. Mine seem to need a little more of an initial tug to pull out as compared to my other drawers. It could very well be in my mind though, as I also think it feels kind of weird to pull-out from the my pull mounted on the side/stile.

• sw_in_austin
    15 years ago

We used pulls throughout and there's a shallow drawer above the trash pullout so I just put another pull on the pullout as if it was a very deep drawer. I find the pull easy to use -- as momof3kids said -- even with a pinkie.

• seaglass7
    15 years ago

I'd recommend the pull as well. I had a knob on the tash can pull out in my old kitchen and it was hard to open when you're holding stuff in your hands and the knob constantly came loose from people grabbing it and giving it a little twist as the pulled it. I have a cup pull on the trash in the new kitchen and it's great!

I'd also recommend centering it side to side. Otherwise it's tough to pull out when it's full. In terms of how high, that really depends on the door style and what's near it. The rails on our doors are narrow, so we put it on the raised panel at the same height of the center drawer of a neighboring 3 drawer stack--it's a little less than a third of the way down the front. Looks great. Do a double check on the height with the major users because placing it too low can really strain your back if you use it alot.

• kpaquette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys - mine is a double bin - for trash and recycle, so it would probably get pretty heavy if both were full.

Based on our door style i'd say that a pull mounted horizontally, centered on the top stile is the way to go - since it's a recessed panel I think that's the only way it could be.

Ok, I ordered my hardware! Today I burned a hole in the credit card - kitchen hardware plus 2 toilets, 2 bathroom sinks, 3 faucets, shower head, and all my clawfoot tub hardware...I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

• debsan
    15 years ago

I'd recommend a pull. I only did pulls, mine are 6". I love the large handle on the pull-out, because it makes it very very easy to open. Knobs are better for things that don't have weight/stress on them.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

I did a pull on mine...in the frame since it's sturdier, I think, than the center panel.

Like Fori, though, we plan to install a foot pedal. As a matter of fact, we've already bought it but haven't had time to install it yet!

Trash pullout cabinet to the left of the sink..

• caryscott
    15 years ago

Strictly recycling (garbage is under the sink).

• trudymom
    15 years ago

We did a pull for 2 reasons--to put a dishcloth on so if we had dirty hands from cooking and opening the trash bin, the dish cloth could catch some of the dirt, and because having 2 screws in the drawer for the pull is sturdier than just having one as a knob would have.

• msgreatdeals
    15 years ago

I would think a knob would be better. My son got new cabinets alittle over a year ago (custom made)and the finish is wearing off around the pull of the trash. They use it so much.
    That is the main reason I'm going to order cabinets made out of California. You can use only water base products here.

• faleash
    15 years ago

What foot pedals is anyone using? I can only find Hafele. Is there anything else?

• elizpiz
    15 years ago

Thanks kulagal - the hardware was SUCH a tough decision! If I had known how long it would have taken, I would have started searching right at the beginning :-) I got the hardware in two places - the island hardware that are handles was from a store in NYC called Old Good Things (kinda architectural salvage), and the small knobs (and the rest of the hardware in the kitchen) was from a co. called Whitechapel in Jackson Hole Wyoming. If you do a search of my name, you'll see my complete kitchen pix - there are lots of detail shots in the slideshow.

The drawer was built in by the cabinet maker, so not retrofitted. We love it - it's the perfect place to put our garbage bags!

HTH,
    Eliz

• momof3kids_pa
    15 years ago

Mine was part of the cabinet design (ikea). I just made sure I mounted it with enough clearance for my box of trash bags to fit in. It's also the place I keep my Sharpie's - the drawer is so hidden my 2 year old hasn't found it yet!!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Nope, pull is better...it distributes the force of your "pulling" along the drawer better. Besides, the cabinet behind gets just as "worn" as behind a pull...I know from experience w/my old kitchen (it started w/knobs and it got worn where your fingers fit around the knob stem). However, with a pull, you really don't touch the cabinet at all...

Like Trudymom, we usually put a dishcloth on the trash pull for dirty hands...at least until we install the foot pedal. Heads up...if you have soft-close, you will have to disengage the soft-close to use a foot pedal. This is actually the hold-up on our pedal installation...my DH is balking at losing the soft-close!

Hafele is the only place I've found the foot pedal as well. There are two models...one for trash cans hanging from rails (like CarryScott's mother's) and one for trash cans sitting an a "shelf" (like mine).

Both foot pedals are designed for frameless, but our own MeToo2 posted how s/he modified them back in 2007.

MeToo2 - Pull Out Trash Foot Pedal Front View 1
    http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2007/08/pull_out_trash_foot_pedal_fron.html?cat=kitchens

MeToo2 - Pull Out Trash Foot Pedal Door Open 2
    http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2007/08/pull_out_trash_foot_pedal_door.html?cat=kitchens

MeToo2 - Pull Out Trash Foot Pedal Metal Plate 3
    http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2007/08/pull_out_trash_foot_pedal_meta.html?cat=kitchens

MeToo2 - Pull Out Trash Foot Pedal Underside View 4
    http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2007/08/pull_out_trash_foot_pedal_unde.html?cat=kitchens

• kulagal
    15 years ago

Thanks Eliz and Mom: today I talked to my contractor and he said he will build a drawer for me for my trash pullout - yippee! And, what a good idea for it to hold garbage bags! Thanks again for the great idea!

• momof3kids_pa
    15 years ago

No, thank YOU! I did wallpaper my trash liner today and it looks great! Thanks for the push!!