Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjb999

Lining a garage ceiling with P2000 styrofoam insulation

pjb999
15 years ago

I was just at an energy-saving home show and came across a product I am thinking of using...had no replies in the garage section so here goes...

Somehow my garage (once a carport) was lined in plywood (not sure if it was legal at time of construction) - the walls have been lined with drywall, well and good, but the ceiling still is plywood. I had to cut some access holes into the ceiling to rectify some plumbing issues and plan to leave some manholes in there so I will have future access. It transpires that there was no moisture/air barrier put in, and the insulation has mostly dropped out of the ceiling joists and rests on the top of the ceiling material

This product I am interested in is a foam-core material with a foil backing, and a white finished side which is paintable. It would be easy to fix it in such a way that I could remove it in the future or just build said manholes.

I had already figured I would have to take the whole ceiling down and probably get spray-on foam insulation done, as I believe the spray stuff works as an air/moisture barrier. The master bedroom is above the garage and needless the say the floor is cold in winter, and I would like to remove the carpet for a wood floor. In its present state that would make it a lot worse....on the upside, nothing in the garage freezes in winter! (door is an insulated double skin type)

So, does anybody have any thoughts or concerns or experience with the stuff? I was thinking of using the 1" material which is claimed to have an R27 rating, impressive for the thickness. If I go with spray on, I am going to have an awkward situation ensuring the plumbing found up there remains on the warm side of the envelope, I am going to have to build a complex box around it, probably with styrofoam insulation as there is only an inch or so clearance to the false ceiling below.

If I use this stuff, I can go right over the existing ceiling. I can leave the old insulation in there (although I suppose the existing insulation would be more effective if it was back up between the joists, but I don't really have an option to get it back up there without ripping the existing ceiling down) Insulating it on the surface would be great in that the whole space would end up on the warm side of the house, being better and simpler for the plumbing.

My concerns? Fire, and mechanical damage, it is coated/covered but will be easy to damage. I suppose I could drywall over it if I used long screws...not sure how effective that would be but would be an option. Big attraction is leaving everything else alone.

Cost is around CDN$ 1.41 psf or around $45 per 4x8 sheet which should be at least federal sales tax-free, as an energy-saving product. According to the literature it's a class-a product according to the fire rating test, I don't understand the rating system too well but understand it's better than some material, not as good as drywall itself, but would appear to satisfy the legal requirements for the most part (I will see what I can dredge up on my local codes - British Columbia Canada)

Any thoughts? URL for company is below:

Here is a link that might be useful: P2000 Insulation systems

Comments (7)

• annzgw
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm not quite following why the plumbing needs a box around it, but since your master bedroom is above the garage I think I'd go with drywall simply due to the fire safety issue.

Can't you have insulation blown into the ceiling joists before putting up drywall?

• bill_g_web
    15 years ago

A dose of skepticism might be in order; I'd do some more research on the P2000 product before buying. R27 per inch is a little too far out there for this poster to swallow without more info. I'd be concerned about fire too and the website you gave doesn't give much technical info. They don't even give an R-value - they use their own "P-Value". Their little Scottish foam coffee cup is cute though.

• pjb999
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for both your thoughts, I thought the cup was a little tryhard, I hadn't watched the video itself. I must say I wondered what made the foam so special, reading between the lines I thought they might have been inflating the R-value somehow by perhaps arguing that it's more effective because of the moisture or air barrier quality or the foil (a lot of homes in Australia use only foil insulation) or something...

I did little googling apropos of the fire rating all we have is the testing body's word for it and I'd have to check them out too so I guess my spidey senses were tingling, I was thrilled at the intial prospect of just sheathing the existing ceiling, fire rating aside my other concern was damage, being a garage and all, it'd be easy to dent and tear.

Annz, I hadn't thought of blown-in insulation but I do have to consider a moisture/air barrier too, there was none put in, it should have been under the flooring I suppose although I have seen the plastic put on the underside of the joists in order to help retain the fibreglass insulation (am I right about that, is it code in most places?) - I would be back to the idea of removing the ceiling, but, either way, even if the method was legal back then (not having air/moisture barrier) it seems foolish - the current drywall lining on the walls has plastic, but unless the garage is heated, it's still the cold side - unless it's relative, certainly outside'll be colder....

So blow-in insulation could work assuming adequate access and would make life easier, It'd be blown in above the fibreglass which has dropped out of the joists, but my point regarding the box around the pipes is this - there's a dropped section of the ceiling, a plenum or whatever you want to call it, where the drains etc for the upstairs bathroom etc run, (you can actually look right up there to the back of the shower head) and I've currently got a small leak somewhere around one of the drains (did no damage fortunately and a bucket catches it, I have been putting off the repair) - anyway the pipes sit low, almost flush to the underside of the garage ceiling....drains/pipes should be on the 'warm' side of the building envelope, in this instance there is only an inch or so of clearance underneath so little room to insulate under (to prevent the pipes freezing) so I'd considered styrofoam under it, and up the sides to the underside of the upper floor to include it in the 'warm' side of the envelope, so the rest of the area's insulation isn't affected by this one potential cold spot...

All the styrofoam stuff I'd seen is like R-12 or less so I wondered about this stuff and its claims. I'll read a little further.

• annzgw
    15 years ago

You can google for more info.........but cellulose doesn't need a vapor barrier.

Here is a link that might be useful: insulation

• pjb999
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Annz,

Thanks for that pdf, too many choices! I didn't know about the vapour barrier side of it, it's good to know. It's hard to know what's best and in some ways it's tempting to just rip it all down and start again, and the cellulose would be a possibility either way if I can figure out a good way to get it in there, I suppose all they need is a small hole per space. I also want to get cellulose up in my roof space, it's fibreglass insulated but you can't have too much up there, I just want to coordinate it so I could do both at once (want to put in recessed lighting so want to get all that work up there done first)

An excellent idea, I'll look into it more. I bet it'd work out cheaper, too.

• hamhawk
    15 years ago

Did you end up trying the P2000 then? I'm just trying to decide if I should give it a shot in my garage and heated workshop I'm building.

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

P2000 is simply Expanded Polystyrene Foam (not Styrofoam which is the tradename for Dow's Extruded Polystyrene foam) with a reflective foil facing.

The R value of P2000 is 3.85 which is not much better than fiberglass or cellulose. The foil facing does nothing if there is no air space in front of it and the amount of heat it might prevent from escaping downward into the garage is minimal at the temperatures involved and could also be achieved at less cost with foil-faced fiberglass insulation or foil-backed drywall. In general, radiant barriers are not cost effective except in roofs in very warm climates.

It would take 7 inches of this material to achieve an R value of 27. The claim that 1 inch of any material could achieve an R value of 27 is sufficiently misleading to suggest to me that the original poster was probably a shill for the manufacturer.

All foam insulation in a home must be covered with drywall and many codes require 5/8" Type X drywall on the ceiling of a garage when the space above is habitable.

Here is a link that might be useful: R value