Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbdial

bookcases and fireplace mantle paint back

mbdial
12 years ago

These (crappily) made bookcases and mantle have to stay for now. What do you think? Should I paint/stain the wood a dark brown color or just paint the back of the bookcases?

Comments (28)

• bestyears
    12 years ago

Hmmmmm, what about painting them white/ivory and painting the back a different color?

Love your sofas and all the neat stuff in your room!

• zip2zap
    12 years ago

I really like the rock on the fireplace and how you've accessorized your shelves.
    What about a black or charcoal for the mantle and the shelves and a sage green (like in your rug) for the wall behind the shelves?

• Fori
    12 years ago

I like black for the shelves. You might not need to paint the wall behind them after that, but you might.

And you have the rattan furniture I think I want!

• mbdial
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for the help. I guess I thought dark brown because of what's on the other side of this great room. Opposite this living area is a breakfast area and kithen, wide open to the living. If you turn around from the red chairs, the breakfast area is on the right and the table and wicker chairs are expresso brown. The kitchen is to the left and the picture doesn't show four dark brown rattan counter-height bar chairs. The bar stools are Pier One, but sorry, fori, the rattan chairs in the living area have been in my husband's family for many years. Sooooo, black is out but maybe a brownish black?

• sloyder
    12 years ago

how about a picture in the opening above the fireplace?

• User
    12 years ago

I think I'd paint them a creamy white to match all the trim, and put either a sea glass colored green or possibly a coral color on the back. The coral would tie in with the covers on your chairs.

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

I think I'd try adding some trim to the face of the shelves to bulk them up a bit before painting them. And since I prefer stained wood I'd recommend using a gel stain in walnut or espresso instead of painting them. A bit of Liquid Sander and your good to go.
    The rattan chairs, wicker dining chairs and rattan buffet are all great looking in your lovely home.

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

I love the color of the stain on the mantle and bookcases,
    it's calm, soothing and goes so well with everything
    else in the room.

I would try just painting the wall in back of the bookcases grey like the fireplace.
    It would look pretty and interesting.
    I love the color of your walls.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

Why black? Right now, the room in calm and you notice all the interest ways you have decorated. Love your taste! I think it will be too jarring and your eyes will be "stuck" looking at the black.
    I say, leave as is. You shouldn't change perfection!

• Fori
    12 years ago

After seeing the kitchen, I guess I'd skip painting the shelves and maybe go with painting the wall behind them. I think they are a little too lost as they are because they blend in too well.

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

In coming back and looking at all your pictures again I'm now with the ones that think the shelves should be left as they are. I think if you did anything to them you'd wind up feeling the need to do your kitchen cabinets and you don't really want to go there, do you? They are so pretty as they are.
    So with the above in mind I thought I'd do a virtual for you. I made the shelves thicker, which you could do in real life with a bit of trim and pickling medium, and tried to draw out the color of the cushions on your rattan chairs. Though the color turned out lighter I think you can get the idea of what I was going for. I did three variations of what to possibly paint.

• tfm1134
    12 years ago

I also think a creamy white for both the bookshelves and the fireplace would be beautiful

• User
    12 years ago

Oh love the coral color. JGBM, just for fun can you change the bookcases and mantel to white? White w/coral?

• jen9
    12 years ago

I would just remove the "legs" under the mantle (assuming the rock is under) & paint either leave as is with only painting the back of the shelves or painting the shelves, mantle & back a creamy white to match your other trim. Pretty spaces you have!

• mbdial
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! justgotabme!!!! That's so cool. How did you do that with the color change?????

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

You're welcome mbdial. I used Windows Paint program. I wish I knew how to do in with Adobe Photoshop, but I've never been able to get that just right.
    lukkirrish here's the wood painted white to match mbdials woodwork.

And here's it with the sides of the surround removed as jen9 suggested:

If you'd like me to do anything else for you mbdial please let me know. I doubt I'll get to it tomorrow though. I normally prefer natural/stained wood, but the white does help the wall be more of a focal point.

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

I vote pic. number 2 from justgotabme and beef-up the shelves with molding...
    The white looks a little bright in the pic.but if I put on my sun glasses it looks much better..

So, it's really not about what I want to see...but..If you get a chance how about painting the back of the shelves white..

mbdial~ Are you even open the painting the wood ???

• User
    12 years ago

Thanks! You did a great job! It does look kind of bright, but sunglasses (ouch) LOL Knowing the white wouldn't be so bright in person, I kind of like it. Guess it just depends on how much contrast the OP wants.

Another option would be to put a pretty wall paper on the back of the shelves.

• mbdial
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the advice, suggestions. I am up for painting the wood. It's cheap pine -- was supposed to be the beautiful white pine on the kitchen cabinets but didn't happen- long story. I'm afraid the coral will look too pink. It's hard to choose a red that works well. Keep coming with ideas and I'll keep thinking. Thanks again.

• roobear
    12 years ago

I like the idea of painting the shelves and mantel white and I like the idea of adding something to the back of the shelves.

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

roobear, may I ask what program you used?

• roobear
    12 years ago

Justgotabme, sure, I used Adobe Photoshop.

• nancyvh
    12 years ago

Oh my, LOVE the last photoshop. I was thinking the very same thing. Creamy white beadboard. Very Lake house! Love, love, love it!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

ditto!

• tfm1134
    12 years ago

yes, I also love the last photoshop.

• lolauren
    12 years ago

roobear's last photoshop is very beachy, calming and peaceful looking. I prefer it to the coral approaches.......

I think the painted white woodwork will match all your trim elsewhere, regardless of the dark furniture.

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

Thanks Roobear. I have that, but I'm still learning it. Wish I could take a class somewhere. I know they have tutorials on You Tube, but I want a person to teach me. One I can ask questions to.

• mbdial
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for help. I love the beadboard but I don't want too much of a cottage-y look. I'll post pics when I decide and get it done!