Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salijo_gw

mystery challenge

salijo
14 years ago

I've decided to attempt a mystery challenge in a magazine. Does anyone have experience with these? Is the yardage they give fairly exact or does it usually have a little extra figured in?

Thanks

Salijo

Comments (10)

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

I've done it on the internet several times till I realized I didn't need the tops. Then I started saving the files till it got to the end so I could see if I really liked the pattern when done. It makes it easier to choose the fabrics.

I found most are accurate but seemed to have lots left over. I doubt you'll come up short. They seem to figure in extra in case people make mistakes in cutting.

• salijo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your response!
    Salijo

• rosajoe_gw
    14 years ago

Salijo I joined several mystery quilt parties. The prob I had was choosing the right fabric without knowing what the quilt looks like.
    I decided I wasn't physic enough to do them LOL so I save them too and see what the finished quilt looks like.
    They are very popular and I have never had a prob with fabric shortage.
    just ugly quilts that were entirely my fault LOL
    Rosa

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

Salijo, they usually include about 10% extra in case one makes a mistake cutting.

However, I have to say, I'm with Rosa on this.

It sounds like a fun idea, but I have never, ever been happy with my results. I end up resenting the quilt top, LOL.

So now I collect all the lessons, see the end product, and then decide if I want to spend time on the quilt.

• lindaoh_gw
    14 years ago

I prefer to do BOM's rather than mystery quilts for the same reasons already mentioned. I just did this free BOM online and am working on putting it all together today.

I used similar fabrics in my quilt but a friend is doing it in pinks and browns.
    Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful: BOM

• rosajoe_gw
    14 years ago

I like the BOM's too. That one is very pretty.

• sunnycentralfl
    14 years ago

Bonnie Hunter is starting a Carolina Christmas mystery on Friday, Nov27. The members have selected and posted their fabric choices...not all have chosen traditional greens, reds, etc. I have done 2 mysteries and have enjoyed both. Just finished the quilt top for Christmas Lights mystery and will post a pic sometime...Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

from a not so sunnycentralFL day!
    Gwen

Here is a link that might be useful: quiltville

• barbara_in_pa
    14 years ago

I have done 2 mystery quilts and both was organized by my guild. The first one - ended up having a 'mistake' on one of the clues, and then everyone had to either deal with the mistake or do that part over. The mistake was found several clues later, thus a pain to rip out, so most members just worked around it. I was not happy with the result of my quilt... I never finished it.

The second one the gal in charged checked out the mystery very carefully before ordering it... and it was a simpler pattern but the size was for a double bed. The pattern was nice, but I did not want the double size, so before I sewed the final top together, I laid it out and found a way to make it smaller. This pattern was well written and fun to do. I did like it, just not the size.

I feel that the suggestion to use the link for quiltville was good, as Bonnie is very reliable and her mystery quilts are really nice.

One should try a mystery once, just so you know what it is all about.

BARBARA

• salijo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you everyone for your comments and links.

I've pretty much decided that the reason I wanted to do the mystery quilt is because I fell in love with the color pallet they were using, although originally, I was going to go with something different. But then I found a beautiful print that I couldn't resist and purchased fabric that went well with it. I ended up with fabric very similar in colors as in the example.

A mystery quilt does sound like fun and I have alot of green and golds along with a little bit of reds, so I may do the mystery quilt on Quiltville for now.

Salijo

• love2sew
    14 years ago

Salijo I am doing the Mystery on Quiltville. This will be my 4th mystery with Bonnie and I love the way she sets them up. I am not very good picking colors but doing hers has helped me a lot. I don't use scraps like hers but I use small yardages that fit in the color scheme.

My colors are plums/pinks, greens/limy checks/ stripes , darks, orange batik with streaks of plum, background???

I hope you join in as it will be more fun having someone I know taking part, especially when I get stuck on some instruction.
    Jeane