Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

Satin Brass & Antique Brass Lamps- outdated or still in style?

susanlynn2012
15 years ago

Are Satin Brass & Antique Brass Lamps outdated or still in style? What lamp finishes are in style in 2008?

Comments (18)

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you randita. My lamps are a satin brass and are pretty but I keep wondering if they are outdated. I will post pics in a few days. If anyone else has any opinions that would be great. But you are right randita, it seems on HGTV that brass is kind of outdated since they only seem to show bronze and brushed nickel.

• User
    15 years ago

There was a whole thread about brass on the kitchen forum a few days ago. It seems that brass had sort of fallen out of favor, and apparently it has been out for long enough that it is making a resurgence and will be cool once again.(in other words, what goes around comes around:)

• alex9179
    15 years ago

I think whenever a finish is muted, it can be timeless. Then again, chrome was out a while back, but is gaining steam again. My kitchen faucet is chrome, and I love it. I don't care for bright (gold) brass, but I like anything that has some kind of patina.

I just bought an outdoor light that has a brushed brass finish, and I'm quite pleased with it.
    I recently painted a ceiling fan canopy bronze, because the original bright brass was too much for me.

Lynn, if you think something is pretty, then there is nothing wrong with incorporating it into your home. :) It all comes around again eventually...even bright, gold brass will have it's day again I'm sure.

• anele_gw
    15 years ago

alex, I totally agree with you. Lynn, if YOU like it, who cares if it is outdated according to a business that would like you to buy things that "they" decide will eventually be outdated anyway? Buy what you love, not what everyone else thinks is acceptable (for the moment).

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sheilaaus thank you for letting me know that the brass finish will be making a resurgence in the near future. I will look for that kitchen forum thread.

alex9179, thank you so much for letting me know that you buy what you love and I guess I should to. I have a chrome kitchen faucet also and I chose new chrome bathroom faucets that I love.

I agree with you alex that when a finish is muted, it can be timeless.

When I bought the satin brass lamps last year, I was so sick of my cheap chrome lamps that I recently gave away that I bought over 10 years ago. But now that I have bought crystal lamps for my bedroom and for my family room with chrome on them, I have found out that I like silver and chrome again as long as it looks nice. I think it was just those cheap lamps I disliked.

I bought a small stereo with a silver receiver and black speakers for my spare bedroom that I am trying to make into a pretty room as well as an exercise room. I was thinking silver or white lamps would look better in the room but I still like the satin brass lamps a lot. I also bought a white wicker dresser and that is when I thought white lamps would look better but the pretty satin brass lamps are less than a year old and most likely JCPenney will not let me return them. I hardly used them since after I bought them, I was told crystal would look better in my master bedroom with my new antique white furniture and it does. Maybe I have to stop worrying about having both silver and brass in the same room? I wish I had another spare room for them that I can decorate since they are so pretty.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I looked in the room again and if I had just bought the very pretty brass lamps, I would be returning them since not only does something have to be pretty to me but I am finding out that it must fit in the decor of the room to make me happy. I feel Satin brass goes best with cherry wood and oak furniture while crystal, silver and white go best with stainless steel appliances, white furniture and modern decors. But if JCPenney will not take them back, I guess they do not look bad just not perfect. :)

• teacats
    15 years ago

Lots of outdated bright brass around this house ..... and it ain't disappearing anytime soon ....... so I guess I had better hope that it does comes back around to SOME sort of "fashion" LOL!

Shield your tender eyes from this horror ........LOL!

Jan -- who has never been in fashion -- let alone any type of style ......

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jan, the brass chandelier looks great with your rich color wood like I always felt brass did. YOur room is pretty with the gold walls looking so nice with the brass and the furniture and the beautiful table cloth and runner.

Your room is helping me since you have both stainless steel, white and reddish beautiful wood in the same room as my spare room will have. Maybe I need to change the creamy yellow ivory pretty lamps shades to white to go better with my white sheer horizontal blinds and now my white furniture? But brass seems to go best with ivory/creamy lamp shades so maybe I will just live with things looking nice but not perfect. I love your white lamp with the silver bottom that is what I would want in my room since it is slim and would match well. I never loved silver until I bught my crystal lamps at the end of last year and now I like silver including silver jewelry that I have begun to wear again.

• wooderlander
    15 years ago

I have lamps from RH very similar to these, I think the exact style of mine is discontinued now. They are unlacquered satin brass, not shiny. They're my favorite lamps, and not just because I got them for $35 at the Restoration Hardware outlet store.

Only if you're sick and tired of something is it outdated. If you like it, then it's perfect and will look good with your other things. I wish people didn't worry so much about whether things are in or out, and whether all finishes match. Your individual style is so much more important.

Here is a link that might be useful: brass lamps

• randita
    15 years ago

Interesting thread, Lynn. One more thing I have read is that solid brass never goes out of style, no matter what the finish, because it is rich looking. You can tell the difference in sold brass and fake or overlay. The coloration is a pure gold tone without green or yellow undertones.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Woodlander, I just love those Restoration Hardware Lamps. I love the slim stems and the white shades. My lamps are pretty but more bulky looking and my pretty shade is an ivory that came out more cream looking than the former picture JCPenney had on their site. I would have preferred a white shade and a slimmer base.

Randita, Thank you for letting me know that solid brass never goes out of style.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The satin brass lamp I have in the floor model and the table model from JCPenney.com is really a steel base with a satin brass finish. So I guess it is painted on? What does everyone think of look? Would white shades look OK? I thought they were rich looking and so pretty but I like the slim look of the table lamps better from Restoration Hardware but I have owned these lamps for too long now so most likely they are here to stay.

Here is a link that might be useful: Satin Brass Lamp I have in floor model & table model

• dgmarie
    15 years ago

I like that lamp Lyn2006 and almost bought it!

• wooderlander
    15 years ago

Lynn, I think the lamp you posted is very pretty and not out of date at all because it's classic.

I have a couple of dark brass floor lamps that belonged to my grandparents, who have been gone for about 30 years! and I'll always keep them. All I've ever changed is the shades, because they've worn out a couple of times. They'll never be out of style!

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    15 years ago

dgmarie and woodlander, thank you both so much for making me feel better. I do love the lamps. I do wish the floor lamp was a little taller. I guess it is OK to have a silver stereo receiver and a brass lamp. :)

• Happyladi
    15 years ago

I think it's a beautiful lamp. I have something very much like it in my den. Great price, too.

I'm curious though, if everyone told you it was dated and out of style, would you have gotten rid of them even though you liked them and thought they were pretty?

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I would have put the lamps in my storage room (spare bedroom filled with 4 book cases and three 4-drawer putty cabinets) for extra lighting if they were very outdated. I guess I want my home to look nice as I am fixing it up. I like them too much to part with them and keep hoping one day to have a bigger place to have one more room to decorate.

I still love the lamps but wish I had white lamps for my guest/exercise room but since these are still nice( bought them last year.... think September 2007), I will make do. SInce I bought the white wicker dresser in that room, I guess I was hoping to make it more white. Should I keep the lamps shades or get white ones? The cream shades really do go well with the brass lamp.

I already spent so much on my new Durham Solid Wood Sand White finish bedroom set and now my new air conditioner/heating/compressor unit since my old one just died on me and caused a flood in my home two weeks ago. It was so expensive. I had planned to use the money for hardwood floors but now I can't do that for another year.