Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Picture frame ledges - height

User
11 years ago

I've been talking about doing this for a long time now and finally followed through. I normally hang my art eye level and use the 60" from floor as a guide. For some reason, I changed my mind about the height of the shelves at the last minute and now am kicking myself.

I know not everyone is going to like the idea of photos or layout in general and that's ok but I've already decided this is what I want to do with our hallway. I like photos and this will help me keep things in check. My question is about the height and how much lower you think the shelves should go.

My ceilings are 8'. The bottom of the middle shelf is 60" from the floor and the middle of those photos are roughly 67" from the floor. The bottom of the two shelves on the ends are about 67" from the floor and the middle of the photos is roughly 6' (72")!

I was originally really focused on not making the shelves 'too low' since it's a hallway and not a wide open space. I guess I was thinking there'd be more concern for people bumping into them or something. At first I thought just the two ends need to come down a few inches and now I'm thinking the entire thing should be lowered. Each shelf has three hangers on the back and I used those big honkin metal wall screw anchors (that came with it). I hate putting holes in the walls but I really think it needs adjusted.

Geez, I almost wish I wouldn't have looked at these photos because it looks even worse to my eye than IRL!

No, I still didn't get around to repainting the walls a better color. I'd like to finally get that done this year too!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• annzgw
    11 years ago

I was going to suggest hanging them on the wall but since you want the shelves, I would lower the two on each end so they're lower than the door frame.

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Buy more shelves and hang them under the current ones.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I'm not a fan of the shelves...bad feng shui or however you spell it...not that I know anything about it. But it's a bad sense to walk into a hallway and have something at about eye level sticking out at you...or something along the hallway that can be knocked about and things falling.

Far better to hang the pictures directly on the wall. A display shelf is nice, but better used in a less trafficked area.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey guys! Thanks for the input. I'll lower them but I do want to keep the shelves there. I think adding more shelves might be too much for that area and it would make one of them too close to the light switch. I did tinker with the idea of photos on the wall at one point but prefer the shelves. Also, for some reason DH is very anti photos in a wall arrangement. I showed him a bunch of well done inspiration photos and he felt they looked cluttered.

As far as the other side of the hall, I'm not sure if I'll eventually do anything with that or not. I feel like it currently looks lop sided but I don't want to feel cluttered either. I do know I wouldn't put shelves on the other side too.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Is there any way you can change dh's mind? The problem with lowering the shelves is someone will definitely knock them off the wall. They'd work better in a wider hallway.

I wouldn't worry about putting something on the right wall, IMO it would look cluttered.

The left wall is perfect for a family photo gallery, mixed with other pictures/prints you like. I think your dh would actually like it as it grows throughout the years.

• natal
    11 years ago

I agree that the photos would look better hung directly on the wall. If you dh is anti photos in a wall arrangement how do the shelves make it any different?

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry about the double post. I'm not sure why it did that.

I could probably convince him but he doesn't usually have an opinion too much with anything decorative so when he does I'll normally go with it. But again, I really do want the shelves in the hall.

The hall is 39" wide. I think as long as I leave the middle one alone and just lower the other two a bit it shouldn't be an issue with knocking things off. Time will tell though!

• tinam61
    11 years ago

I like them Shee! I agree with lowering them just a little. I agree - try it and see how it works with the shelves. If it's a problem you can always change it.

tina

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Natal -We posted at the same time. I don't know. It doesn't make much sense to me either.

Tina - Yeah, if lowering the shelves still doesn't work visually for me I do have another spot in mind for the shelves.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

You probably are not open to further feedback, so fwiw, another vote cast for no shelves, pics on wall! Sorry to be contrary, but the shelves are cute, and I think you can put them to good use elsewhere! Don't want anyone bumping into these things in the middle of the night, you know! You have a good eye for arranging art. I'm sure your wall of pics without shelves would be stunning.

Annie! You're funny. Yes, I think there is some bad feng shui (or at least not the BEST feng shui) going on there. A worse scenario: DH is adamant about shelves, beams, things like that not being overhead...'cause that's *really* bad news.

• erinsean
    11 years ago

I did the same thing a few years ago....shelves with pictures on them, in a hallway. Mine were above eye level and some were at eye level. I interspersed (?) the shelves with other hanging things such as crosses, a hanging angel, etc. Looked nice but shelves just stuck out too far and kept getting knocked out of kilter. So I just hung the pictures on the wall and like it much better. If you still want the shelves I would stagger them ... high..medium...low and intersperse other hanging things with them...in other words, fill up the wall more. Nothing on the right side of the hallway.