Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homersmom

Dining room decisions - opinions welcome

homersmom
9 years ago

Now that school is over, I've turned my attention to the dining room. When I posted about it back in late winter, I received many suggestions and have made a few changes. The brown rug has been removed (right now there is just a rug pad, but am leaning toward seagrass). I changed out the transfer ware dishes to white and removed the set of fern prints from the back wall. Would it look silly to leave the back wall blank? I taped out a 36"x48" "frame" to get a feel for either a print or mirror for that space. Your thoughts?

Comments (41)

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This window is opposite the wall in question.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just for reference, the server is on the wall across from the china cabinet, adjacent to the back wall.

Ideas? TIA.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think you need something on that wall. A mirror will reflect light during a dinner party in a nice way.

I'd also take advantage of that great ceiling and paint it. I'd paint the ceiling parts a shade a couple darker than your walls, and the risers the same as your walls.

I hope I don't offend you when I say that I"d also switch out the chandelier. I think that now is too heavy and Gothic looking for the room. I'd put in a more updated chandy, especially if you're leaning toward a seagrass rug.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 9:29

• ttodd
    9 years ago

Is the 1st picture w/ the taped out 'frame' the back wall?

Since you already have a mirror above the buffet I personally wouldn't add another something rectangular in the taped out spot.

What about an arrangement of plates on the wall on that spot? That would be pretty and also balance the angularity of the furniture and frame that you already have.

Or vice' verse', plates above the buffet and move that mirror to the taped out spot.

This post was edited by TheFoxesPad on Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 9:33

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix - not offended at all. Any suggestions? I thought about whitewashing the chandelier, but would rather replace it. However, I am clueless to what would look good.

TFP - Yes, if I did a mirror on the big wall, I would lose the one over the server.

Thanks for your help!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I like the mirror location where it is. If you place one opposite the windows, it may cause a glare for diners at certain times of the day. Why did you get rid of the fern prints? Were they not large enough? Seems like they would have been an appropriate solution combined with the seagrass/sisal rug.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If you're going with a seagrass rug, I'd look at shaded chandeliers to add to the softness and rustic/beachy nature of the rug.
    Love this:

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Or this:

• sundance510
    9 years ago

Are you trying to make the room a little more casual with the seagrass rug or just a little more modern? I do like the fern prints, if they are the ones beverly posted above. If you put those back up, but could go with a more organic vibe. I would replace the mirror above the buffet with a round one, maybe with a wooden frame. Replace the shades on the buffet lamps with some simple linen shades. What do your chairs look like? I would also remove the plant from the buffet if it's fake. I can't tell what the other things are on there.

I do agree that the chandelier is a bit heavy. I am learning that I'm not great at picking out light fixtures, but I do know that you need something visually lighter. I would stick with something simple, because you have a lot of curves and details in your table. But maybe you want the chandy to be the star of the show, up to you!!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

We're getting sidetracked here:

Would the West Elm chandelier be totally off? They currently have a July 4 sale with free shipping, code FLASH.

And I see a light blue on that ceiling :)

[Other[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/other-home-design-ideas-phbr1-bp~r_33)

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beverly - I love my fern prints, but many of the GWers thought that they were too busy for that wall, given its proximity to the china cabinet. I like to change out the dishes in the c. cabinet periodically, so I would like something that won't compete with it. The prints are 11x14 frames with green fabric matting. Maybe larger prints in 16x20 and simpler mats? Lighter frames? It would be nice to use them somewhere. Here is a before pic.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sundance - not trying to make it modern, just pulled together. I'm not committed to sisal, but I it would be very neutral. The rug I had in here before was a bit busy and very brown.

Nosoccermom - Pretty chandy, but definitely not me. Thanks for chiming in :)

• teacats
    9 years ago

For a change -- try the server in the window space .... and hang the fern prints on that wall (where the server/mirror currently sit)

OR: try hang three of the prints in a vertical line on each side of the china cabinet -- and place a chair under the them .... again .... just for a change ....

• jackson2348
    9 years ago

I'd reframe the fern prints at 16x20, and in a lighter frame with cream mats. I'd weight the mats so there is more mat on the bottom than the top. It would take up more wall space, and I think the dark frames look too heavy for your beautiful prints.

I think a chandelier like this would be perfect in your space. Just an updated take on a traditional shape.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Teacats - Thanks for the suggestions. What about the back wall- ideas?

Jackson - do you think I could use the same prints (8x10) and just have wider mats cut instead of getting larger prints to fit the larger frames?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Consider that natural sisal readily stains. We rejected it for dining room use for that reason (I'm told even water stains it, and I wasn't willing to take that chance).

• teacats
    9 years ago

Well -- if you move the server to the window area (swtich the lampshades to white for the summer months) -- and hang the fern prints on that wall(where the server sits now) -- perhaps consider leaving the end wall bare .... just to let the viewer's eye rest .....

Also -- for a change -- perhaps switch the large candle sconces to hang on each side of the china cabinet? Add large white battery-type candles for a safer look ... Also try placing one of the dining chairs on each side of the cabinet (with the candle sconces above)

• jackson2348
    9 years ago

I think you could. If they're 8x10 prints, I'd do 4" of mat on top and each side and 6" if mat on bottom in a 16x20 frame. I think that's a great look.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Get a seagrass or mountain grass rug --- not sisal. It's great for a dining room. And check out www.naturalarearugs.com . I've been very happy with the seagrass rug for our eating area, and their prices are great.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, seagrass not sisal (my mistake in earlier post). I ehad a coir rug in my sunroom once - never again. I will check out that website, nosoccermom. Thanks.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

When you do, make sure to also look at their closeouts. Right now, they have 6x9 for 279.00 with free shipping.

• rgps
    9 years ago

I love the prints just as they are and just where they are. Agree with others the light fixture is a bit heavy. Why not just try painting it a lighter color first and if it's awful then get something new. I'm all about using what you have if possible and saving my cash for a great trip with my money instead of filling up landfills. Ms holier than thou will now dismount her high horse.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I think if you view some of the dining rooms designed by Suzanne Kasler, you'll find your inspiration for this room. She has a wonderful casual style and way of combining things.

Here is a link that might be useful: Suzanne Kassler

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beverly - Thanks for the link.

Reps - I agree- I'd like to use what I have.

Thanks everyone!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I also love your prints exactly as they are and where they are. No need to change perfection.

I agree that the chandy is a bit too heavy looking. I personally love crystal but not a fussy one for your dining room. Maybe something like this from Lampsplus? I think that a drum shade would be too trendy for the room.

Here is a link that might be useful: chandy

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Or if you really want to go trendy (drum shade) how about this?

Here is a link that might be useful: this one

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks holly-kay. I haven't found any chandy's that I like yet, so I may just lighten up the existing one. We'll see. The one you linked is pretty, but I don't care for the silver on it. I'm a (dated?) gold gal. I'll keep looking.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Or if you really want to go trendy (drum shade) how about this?

Here is a link that might be useful: this one

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

homersmom I'm a gold kind of girl myself! Your dining room is beautiful BTW.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

holly-Kay - I really like the one with the crystals and drum shade.
    Thanks for your kind words regarding the room!

• rhomy
    9 years ago

So many wonderful ideas!
    Homersmom, you have a beautiful room! I imagine the rest of the house is too.

If you love the fern pictures, leave them. You might consider arranging them with 4 in the square, and one centered to the left and right.
    I echo carrying the wall color up to the ceiling risers. Personally I like a light ceiling though.

I found a rug that ties your colors:

Here is a link that might be useful: rug

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rhomy - thanks for taking a peek at the room. I never thought about adding a fern to either side of the grid. I'll have to tape it out and see how it looks.
    Thanks!

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I'm not at all a formal person, but I do have an eye for balance - and your room is very well-balanced*. I'd not move any furniture or the mirror. I love your prints and it took some searching to come up with the execution I wanted to suggest. Frame a large part of the wall and hang the prints within that frame. You might even paint that section of wall a different color.

* With one exception: the chandelier. However, I can't tell if it's the perspective of your photograph or the actual size of the 'chandy'. Did you take the photo from the stairs? If it really is that big, I would change it out for something less heavy and much shorter.

As for the rug, I would not get seagrass; I'd get a formal rug with wide stripes or blocks of color to balance all the curves in the room. And in pastel to medium shades to reflect the light ceiling color. (Don't change that, either!)

Very, very pretty room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Frames within a frame

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I like your fern prints, and they'd go great with a seagrass rug. With those and that, I'd find a soft green for the ceiling. I think the effect would be fantastic.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Just bumping to top the mountain of spam.

Spammer: Whoever you are, may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits and other (lower) parts.

• peony4
    9 years ago

I would first try to re-frame your botanicals in a thinner, lighter frame with no mat. (Or, a very light mat that blends with the frame.) Framed collections become too busy when the frames and mats are dark and heavy.

You'll notice that Suzanne Kasler's work (linked by Beverly above) also features lighter frames that don't distract from the art. In a gallery-style display, they promote a lighter, more appealing balance.

This isn't Kasler's work below, but is an example to consider if you want to keep your botanicals.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I purchased a couple of lighter frames and will try to get them hung this afternoon. I'll be back for opinions - stay tuned! Thanks much.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a mock up of a suggested arrangement. The frames I picked up over the weekend are too big. I found 6 frames today on sale. I'll frame them up tomorrow morning and post a pic.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The new frames are a bit smaller and a distressed gold/ silver mix. I framed only one print in case the remaining frames need to be returned. What do you think? Still too thick? Different arrangement? Larger print without a mat?

• rhomy
    9 years ago

To help you decide, I put all as if in new frames. I also included the rug which shows your colors. I don't necessarily recommend this rug, it might be too busy for your taste; but to give you an example of how a lighter rug with color would look. remember the rug will be under the table and chairs.

My artist "eye" likes the lighter look of the ferns!

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, rhomy. That really helps! I also like the green wall color. The current color is BM Standish White, which looks kind of icky in this north-facing room. The more I look at this room (IRL) the more I'm convinced it's the chandelier that is the biggest problem in the room. I like it, but with all the heavy wood in there, it's just too much. I've been looking at chandeliers online but my taste is all over the place. It may be time to hire a designer to help me pull it together.