Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnamp14_gw

TV stand/table on CL. Thoughts?

donnamp14
15 years ago

We're desperate for a new TV and decided on a 48" LCD. What's holding me back is that I have hunted high and low and can't find the perfect TV table. The room is quite small, and my aesthetic is, well, leaning toward English Country, and I love vintage and antique furniture.

I found this on CL today at lunchtime, and I am wondering if I re-finish it, replace the mesh with glass, how you think it would look. The size is right. So, what do you think? TIA!

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/fur/763793601.html

Comments (7)

• babs711
    15 years ago

Is it a flat-panel or rear projection LCD? I ask b/c if it's rear projection, you'll need to make sure it's deep enough to fit the TV. Another thing to consider is all the open shelving. Are you OK with your electronics showing all the time along with having things to display on the open side shelves? Where will you store your DVDs?

I'd need more measurements. I'd want to make sure the interiors of the drawers would hold plenty of DVDs b/c I don't like mine to show. I'd also want to make sure the center shelf dimensions were long/tall/deep/wide enough to hold my electronic equipment b/c you can't tell from that picture.

I think it would be a lovely piece when refinished and with glass inserts.

• funkyart
    15 years ago

I have been looking for the same english country kind of thing for my new 42" tv (still in the box.. in the middle of the living room). I think it looks GREAT.. my only hesitation is that it is a touch high for a small room. What's your viewing distance?

I have been looking for weeks without luck so if I found a piece like you did, I'd make it work! I even think I like the mesh on the doors. Go for it!

• donnamp14
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It'll be a flat-panel. We don't have many DVDs to store. I probably won't have much on display, but I like the drawer for the remotes. I'll ask her for the exact measurements. I, too, am a little concerned about the height. The viewing distance is, I think, about 10 feet, but I'll have to measure it. I did e-mail and tell the seller what I had planned and asked if it seemed possible, but I haven't heard back yet.

Thanks!

-Donna

• funkyart
    15 years ago

Donna, unless you have older equipment, I'd be really surprised if it doesn't fit in the shelving area in the middle. I think the combination of shelves and drawers is great.

I also have about a 10' viewing distance and I am trying to stay in the 30-32" range.. but, again, the piece will work so well that I would deal with the slightly elevated viewing angle. I'd much rather have it a bit high than too low.

Hope all the measurements work for you-- it's a great solution!

• printersdevil
    15 years ago

I think it would be great. I agree that a little too high would be better than low. Nice find. Be sure to post pics when you get it.

• donnamp14
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I hope it works out and I will certainly post pix if it does. Thanks, everyone!

-Donna

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

I have had the exact same struggle. I found this really ugly sofa table at Salvation Army store for $20. I spray painted it flat black. This is temporary solution until I can have a built in cabinet designed and built. Real TV stands for this size were $500 and up.