Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leahcate

For Patio: Cheap or Higher End?

13 years ago

My debate: Go cheap( Target, etc) or name brand (O.W. Lee, Hammit, etc) for new patio comfy chairs. They will be in the full sun. Some reviews online of the Target mention so-so quality and need to replace cushions very often. How are fading and durability issues with the higher end cushions? My only experience has been with no- cushion Tropitone strapped chairs and tables. Lasted over 25 years with only a need to re-strap due to color fade. I'm thinking it would be smarter to get the better quality...if the cushions hold up for a number of years. I'd choose a light neutral, NOT a bright print or color. Being in So. Ca., we will use them all year, and only cover during the rainy weeks. Would be helpful to hear your experiences. TIA!

Comments (12)

• 13 years ago

I purposely bought strapped chairs because I didn't want to have to deal with cushions. Mine are easy to clean with the hose and a brush and I don't have to worry about storing the cushions. I'm also in SoCal and find that my outdoor furniture gets very dirty if I leave it uncovered. I think the newer resin rattan style with the big deep cushions is gorgeous, but I don't want to worry about keeping it covered. I went with Brown Jordan and haven't had any problems.

• 13 years ago

We have OW Lee chairs and sofa on our screened porch. It is extremely comfortable..we also use almost year round...my favorite room in the house. The cushions get a cleaning in the spring but aren't exposed to the weather. We have teak furniture with sunbrella fabric on the patio and those cushions wear like iron. We have had them 5 or 6 years and usually store them in winter, but left them out one winter and they are no worse for wear. It is good if they can be set on a corner to drain water when it rains...they look brand new.
    Judy

• 13 years ago

Definitely the good stuff! It lasts forever and doesn't need to be thrown out.

I've had mine (Cast Classics) for about 12 years and it looks great and the cushions look like brand new. They have zippers so I can take off the cushion cover and wash them.

Best wishes!
    AMAC

• 13 years ago

Thanks everyone. Yes, the strapped type is great, and what we have for our new dining set (Tropitone). I really want nice, comfy cushions for occasional chairs, though.
    I was fairly certain the higher end would be great structurally, going by my 25- ish yr. old Tropitone, but was not sure about the cushions. I had an old wicker set upholstered recently. He said, Sunbrella or not, the fabric would fade quickly when in full sun daily. Perhaps, but I am guessing a pale beige would not show the fading a lot. I am tempted by a two- for- $800 at online Costco, which is neither high nor low, though more the latter.
    Costco anyone?

• 13 years ago

We have a strapped vintage Brown Jordan set (Tamiami) that is so comfortable! They've been making these for something like 60 years, you can find them on craigslist all the time for a steal. The set we have is 50 years old - it sat in the sun in Palm Springs for 25 years, then another 25 in LA. We had it re-powder coated and strapped about 10 years ago and it's going strong! We like it so much that when we got room for another set, we found another on craigslist and snatched it up.

We have the rocking chairs which are so comfy, everyone gravitates to them.

Go for quality and you won't be sorry.

• 13 years ago

I wanted something that didn't have to be strapped down in the wind. I purchased cast, "heavy" aluminum. The cushions I got from Walmart. Figure I don't want to look at them more than 5 years anyway. :0) Don't you get tired of a "look" and want the latest thing?

• 13 years ago

nicole, I know what you mean re wanting change, but figure I can do that with new toss pillows on the light beige cushions.
    deb, I know BJ is great stuff, but I really do want cushions for these chairs. The Costco pair are not my favorite look, but the fact that they recline has my interest(that, and the $800 for two, along with ease of returning ) They are woven wicker on aluminum frame. Anyone have this material from Costco? I hate/love techy stuff : I need to learn how to insert pics :>/ Thanks all!

• 13 years ago

I had the same dilemma when I was purchasing my patio furniture set. It just comes down to doing a lot of research on different options out there. I found my patio furniture set at a website called One Click Direct. I'd been looking for a new set for about six months and couldn't decide on what I wanted or how much I wanted to spend. Their prices were reasonable and a majority of their brands are finished to be resistant to many weather changing elements and rust which also played a big part in my final decision because I wanted a set that would last at least five years. It was a good site and the selection was great too.

Here is a link that might be useful: One Click Direct

• 13 years ago

I also went back and forth on choosing patio furniture. Liked the slinged back cloth furniture just because of it's drying abilities. (We live in the Pacific Northwest.) But was afraid it probably had a five year shelf life. Then the question becomes does it cost as much to re-cloth as it would just to purchase new? So I was going to buy just an inexpensive set, but apparently everyone else had the same idea. Because the set I ordered was shipped damaged and they ran out of stock.

So I went to a patio store and found a gorgeous Hammett aluminum set. The manufacturer apparently really controls the sell of the product and the dealer wasn't really wanting to deal. So I left my name in case they had a sale (or whatever) and left.

I actually ended up with a Thomasville set from Home Depot. It's aluminum so I don't have to deal with covering it in the winter. And it did come with cushions which I coated with a Marine waterproofer. No it's not as thick of an aluminum as the Hammett. Obviously the welding, etc. is more high end on the Hammett. But still the same five year warranty. I believe both the Thomasville and the Hammett are being made in China. However the Thomasville was on clearance. So the Hammett set would have cost me another $1500. And this doesn't include the price of purchasing cushions for the Hammett set. The set I bought had to be picked-up and assembled. Not hard to do, just time consuming, especially removing all the sticky labels. The high end sets you get white glove delivery service. Another thing Hammett demands of it's dealers.

Since for us it's a late June through the start of September season it just seemed like a more reasonable thing to do. (Actually had the heater on the first of July! Tomorrow it looks like I'll have to turn on the air conditioner.) If I was using it all year round I would probably spring for the more expensive set. Cushions and sun usually don't have a long shelf life. The Sunbrella products are suppose to hold up longer, but you will pay for that material.

• 13 years ago

housefairy, I saw a great looking Thomasville set at Home depot in May but had not decided exactly what I wanted: chaise or chairs. thought I had time to hem and haw...wrong! It's gone from all stores . Pictured on the website, but not in stock. I was told summer things stop arriving early May! Summer usually doesn't begin here until July 1st. Bummer.
    If it were to be on a screened porch or even just under a trellis I'd not be so concerned. Out in the bright sunlight, I wonder if the expensive cushions will last or if they too will need replacing every 5 years. amac, I've never heard of Cast Classic, but 12 years on cushions sounds amazing...but in full sun?

• 13 years ago

"....The manufacturer apparently really controls the sell of the product and the dealer wasn't really wanting to deal...."
    Yes, I've noticed this and it really frosts my bargain -lovin' soul! You can go to Saks and bottom feed during great sales, but try to find a designer handbag with the same deep discount as a designer dress, etc....never! Oh, and while I'm at it, how are the the cosmetic companies able to be above offering discounts (sales) during this down time....ever see any sales there? Uh oh! Sorry.I'm veering into ventland , but I do dislike controlled merchandising. :>)