Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shannonaz

Wall treatment/material in new PB catalog...

shannonaz
14 years ago

I was hoping that one of the extremely knowledgeable people on this board would be able to tell me what I am seeing in the new Pottery Barn catalog. It is the August 2009 catalog called "vintage style" and the walls I like are on pages 68, 69, 75 and 89. It doesn't look like paint or faux-finishing...but I don't know a lot about that stuff. It looks a little like concrete or some type of plaster? I want to put these pages in my dream home file and I was curious about what it is!

Comments (15)

• allison0704
    14 years ago

Since the pictures are probably on their website, can you post links?

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Allison, I didn't know you could access the catalog on the website. How do you do that?

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    14 years ago

I think what Allison is saying is that there are likely the same photos on their website, which I have linked below.

If the OP can find the items on the website shown on those catalog pages, she can see if the website shows the same wall treatments, and link them here so people can see them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn website

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    14 years ago

Check the link below and you'll see they used Tucson Tan #1144 on 68-69. Page 89 is California Hills, #216. Page 75 must be something other than the Ben More paint they have used on the other pages.

Here is a link that might be useful: right here

• allison0704
    14 years ago

My3dogs, is correct. That's what I was asking her to do. I asked to stop receiving their catalogs, as I don't shop there and only trash them.

• shannonaz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the help. Here is a link from the catalog. Ben Moore colors may have been used...but, the final wall does not look painted. Also, if you have the catalog it is obvious that all these photos were taken in the same home. Of course different rooms could have had different paint; the wall material/technique is the same throughout the home. And the walls look like exactly the same color in all of the photos. Some technique has been used (with the paint?) to make it look the way it does OR there is some sort of special drywall/concrete/plaster technique going on before the wall is painted. The walls look very rustic and weathered; the "age" seems to be showing through the paint rather than faux-painted on top of the paint. The paint seems washed on the walls in some way rather than painted on in opaque layers. But, I don't have much experience with special wall stuff. I am just describing what it looks like to me. I think someone here may know exactly what it it. It might even be obvious...just not to me! Thanks for looking!

Here is a link that might be useful: walls

• shannonaz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Another room.

Here is a link that might be useful: walls

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    14 years ago

Those walls themselves are 'rustic' - either aged stucco or concrete that appear to have had a paint wash applied to them.

• allison0704
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link. I could be wrong, but it looks like poured concrete to me. It's an exterior wall and you see how the break (line) continues above the window. Similar to our poured concrete walls. The sub installs large metal panels for the concrete to go in and depending on the panel sizes and height of the walls, it can leave breaks like that.

Just above the arch of the floor lamp you can see the pitted area - where the concrete didn't get to the panels all they way and you can see the rock/gravel mix in the concrete mix.

{{!gwi}}

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

These pics were taken in someone's home. PB does that now. They go on location for their photo shoots. It says in the catalog where the pics were taken. In the last catalog, I saw two different homes were mentioned. Not that any of that helps you with your question, lol!

• amysrq
    14 years ago

You might be able to achieve a similarly rustic look with American Clay.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here they are

• powermuffin
    14 years ago

Looks just like my plaster walls before I patched and painted them. Guess I could have avoided all that work and still been way cool!
    Diane

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Oh, I get it now. I was thinking of those websites where you can pull up the catalog and turn the pages with a click of the mouse.

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

Who knows? It could be the magic of Photoshop, it could be an exterior wall, it could be plaster.

• allison0704
    14 years ago

I showed DH the photo - he said poured concrete. He pointed out the break (line) also.