Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinny_gw

Screened-in Porch- how to make cozy?

tinny
12 years ago

Hi All,

I as hoping I could get come ideas on how to make my screened-in porch more cozy and homey? It is a place where we spend a lot of time in the summer. We eat every meal out there. I am thinking maybe some curtains? Additional furniture? Decorations? I love my wicker furniture. The cushions reverse to a nice neutral tan in case I want to add some fun pillows. I also can take or leave the papasan. The large rocker really belongs on the front porch, but my son keeps dragging it in. Any help with the finishing details would be much appreciated. I so want to be better at this!

Here is a link that might be useful: Screened-in Porch

Comments (20)

• prairiedawnpam
    12 years ago

Your porch is lovely! I'm not a designer, but to me, cushions and throw quilts say "cozy". Is that a favourite table cloth in the photo? Do you have other favourite fabrics or art in the space that you can use for colour and pattern inspiration?

...Pam

• tinny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you! No, it isn't a favorite tablecloth, just one of many. I suppose I could try and find a favorite fabric to play off of. Thanks!

• chickadee2_gw
    12 years ago

I love your house! A screened porch is an added bonus this time of year. I don't think your porch needs much except a pop of color. I think your present tablecloth is pretty, but it's too close in color to your wicker so there's not much to pull from it color wise that would contrast with the chairs for pillows. I guess I'm agreeing with Pam about that. I think I'd look for another tablecloth, maybe French or Indian, and borrow colors from that to use as pillows. A few flowering plants scattered around ( top of coffee table maybe) or hanging baskets would look nice. Curtains wouldn't look right. You could do natural shades of some sort, but I don't think you need them. I might replace the papasan chair with a baker's rack or plant stand. Since your son likes the rocker, I'd probably get him one since the one on the porch always ends up there anyway. LOL. I think I'd have 4 chairs around the table so it looks more inviting for company. Then I'd add some candles in glass containers and call it a day.

• braider
    12 years ago

The porch room is lovely and needs to be furnished just like any other with a dining tables and 6 chairs, and you have room for a loveseat, chairs and coffee table area, and don't forget some entertainment like a games area or TV or music area.

Re - colors- I would make the colors blend with the adjoining landscape, in white-green-pastels, and one other color like pink or peach. Seat covers and tablecloth, in solid peach or green. Add some plants, etc. Curtains in a vinyl, that can go all the way back and also protect the room from rain.

• arcy_gw
    12 years ago

I would go with marine grade indoor outdoor fabric, not plastic., and a colorful jigsaw puzzle over a TV. It seems odd to me to hang curtains..but that is what they do and it does soften the space. Maybe just a couple of small panels in each outside corner for looks? Fabric is definitely what you need. Do you have a rug, cushions, pillows? Color and fabric will do the trick. It looks to be a fun space. Lucky you!

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I think it's great just the way it is.

• roarah
    12 years ago

You have a most lovely home!!! I think the porch oozzes charm as is but maybe a few light panel curtains at the ends of windows...but not to many, that might block the view. Your home seems so inviting!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I think the porch is lovely. I wouldn't add draperies, but that is just me-I love the idea of being 'outside' when on a porch. I agree that some plants (perhaps something large between the chair and loveseat on the house side and definitely something on the tables)and candles (in hurricanes, so they don't blow out) might add a bit of coziness. I think I would also get a larger indoor/outdoor rug for the space that could tie the two areas together. I am not sure what the big silver thing is, but if it is a trashcan or something that is not essential, I would definitely get rid of it as I think it throws off the space-very jarring with your other elements. If you need a waste basket, something small and pretty (botanical print?) would be much nicer.

That said, I would love to have a porch like that on my house! Lucky you!

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

I'm with chickadee2, flowering plants. I'd also think about adding the softness panels would bring even if just for show or as I did by adding a set of bi-fold doors to the corner of our screened in porch. It really brought some coziness without much cost since I found them at a thrift store.
    I've made changes since the picture below was taken like replace the chairs with high back wicker, but this at least shows the bi-fold doors to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. I've yet to find an area rug so will most likely paint one on this fall when I redo the deck.
    {{!gwi}}

• rosie
    12 years ago

Tinny, what a great porch for living. My (open) living porch is on the second story and very nice, but we have to go out there deliberately because it's not on the way to anywhere.

Anyway, it has a high ceiling and really needed more coziness AND more charm, so I decided to bring the garden up. I had my husband run a horizontal support around it near the top of the open space (above rail about 1' below roof edge). I then planted a native wisteria to run along it (chosen for the dainty pretty foliage more than the temporary flowers). The approximately 2'-tall (above and below support) area of greenery gives that feeling of more enclosure and a very pretty dappled shade in a leafy outdoor way. It made a wonderful difference. (It should be noted that this is an OPEN porch 12 feet above ground, or I wouldn't be able to keep it easily trimmed to one main stem running across.)

So I recommend bringing some more greenery in, however you would do it, vine on wires or lattice for more enclosure, shrubs, small tree, whatever. This could also be used to gently veil the view of the garage and pavement, shifting your outdoor feeling further in a "gardeny" direction. Although you might choose to add an additional color just for fun anyway, I think you'd find more green would create a very pretty look with what you have. And fun if you allowed birds to nest in it, as they do in the wisteria.

BTW, I like the honeysuckle on our front arbor so much, that I now have one coming up the other end of the porch for fragrance and hummers all summer. It's more rambunctious, so it'll be confined to one vertical corner area where the afternoon sun cuts through. I insist on being able to keep both of them tidy with feet firmly on porcha firma. :)

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

I have a screened porch that needs coziness but I'd much rather work on yours! Love your wicker furniture!
    I think painting the table and chairs in something like the BM corlsbad canyon, adding a runner to the table, a new papasan cushion and seat cushions on the wood chairs would cozy it up. (textiles from Pier 1)

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

Some sort of screen or drapes to block the view of the garage.

More plants

• bestyears
    12 years ago

Lucky you! What a gorgeous space...

I think this link provides a good example of how a few accessories can really 'make' a space.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Porch makeover[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/front-porch-makeover-summer-2010-craftsman-porch-charlotte-phvw-vp~72062)

• User
    12 years ago

Huge plants, a fern would be pretty but of course they can be messy, the Kimberly ferns aren't so bad.

I would consider a thicker tablecloth, perhaps with a glass top.

Nice space! Enjoy!

• ratherbesewing
    12 years ago

I don't know where you live Tinny, but drapes would not work in my screened-in porch. Summer weather, pollen etc would make it a dirt magnet. From what I can see in the picture, there is too much brown (wicker furn,rug,floor,table,rocker, small chairs).Can you pick out an accent color from your cushions on the wicker set? If they are neutral, get some outdoor fabric pillows with some COLOR. Someone had a good idea about painting the table or paint all the chairs to match.You can also add plants and candles. Pier One and Target carry alot of outdoor living accessories that might spark your interest.

• teacats
    12 years ago

I do love the idea of curtains -- and adding a fluffy fern or two around the porch.

Maybe paint some stripes on a large sisal rug to work with your colors?

Yes -- pop over to Pier One, World Market and look for items like tablecloths, napkins and other items with a color that would work with your cushions ...

Perhaps add an outdoor fountain just outside the porch area -- and consider adding a string of lights around the bottom branches of the big tree -- even a couple of strings of basic Christams lights -- very charming at night! :)

Your home is lovely! :)

• annekendo
    12 years ago

I LOVE your screened-in porch...I wish mine was that big! I don't think you should go with curtains. Some plants & some pops of color (by possibly painting the table or chairs - or both) would make it more cozy. I have a white-antiqued wire plant stand in mine along with some iron scroll decorative art on the walls. It looks like you have room between the top of the screens & the ceiling to add some whimsical art or a sign which I think would look great (and could add color). I noticed you have a bistro chair at your table. I have a Fermob bistro set in a bright color which I love so adding some additional chairs (or painting what you have) in a summery color would be nice.

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

Great porch! I would add a few ferns, maybe one hanging and one in a stand. I would not hang curtains. Do I see a sisal rug in one pic? If not, putting one under your seating arrangement would add coziness. I think the porch is great. Anything you do so long as it doesn't involve alot of curtains, would be icing on the cake.

• tinny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, wow- you guys are amazing!!! You have me excited! I think you've talked me out of curtains, ratherbesewing, you are right that they would attract pollen and dirt like crazy....and that would drive me crazy. There is a rug under the wicker furniture, but it is only a 5x7. I might look for a bigger one when I am at Ikea in a few weeks.
    The large silver thing is a propane heater. We actually don't use it often, and it could probably be put in the garage until the fall. More plants, vines, and candles are easy fixes- I can easily do that.
    deedee99, I love all of your suggestions! I hadn't thought of painting the table and chairs. The table is old, so I usually just put a tablecloth on it, but I love the idea of painting it. I also love ALL of your textile suggestions.
    teacats, I picked up some light for the tree today. :-)

Thank you all!!

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

:) I should go work for Pier 1!

Love teacats twinkle lights idea for the tree too!