Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ratherbesewing

Do you have a World Market near you?

ratherbesewing
10 years ago

I often read in blogland about this store, but there are not ANY in Pennsylvania. Is it worth a road trip? Is it similar to Home Goods? Just wondering what I am missing...

Comments (19)

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    10 years ago

I go to one in Ohio when I visit my mother. It's more like Pier One, but with food & wine and kitchen stuff, as well. They have a website, you can browse/ shop online and get a feel for the place.

Here is a link that might be useful: Website

• egbar
    10 years ago

there was one for a year or so in central Il where I used to
    live. It made me think more of Pier One than anything (but I have never been to Homegoods, either). The main difference between World Market and Pier One seems
    to be that World Market also had food, wine, candy, small items that were sometimes interesting and different.
    that store went out of business. I didn't go there often, the prices were higher than I wanted to pay and the furniture was similar enough to lower priced places it was a simple matter of economics. I did spend some money on the exotic snacks, treats, and small toys as gifts. If everybodys shopping patterns were like mine, that is probably why the store went out of business. Don't know if that answers your question, everybody's tastes and budgets are different. best wishes.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Well, you can check out their web site and then subtract everything that's "online" only.
    I'd say it depends on how far you have to drive. If I check their store locations, the nearest to PA seems to be Rockville, MD, where, incidentally, I was just yesterday. It's quite big but not as big as my local HG.
    The furniture is a bit cheap looking, e.g. their dining tables don't look as nice as on photos; their dining chairs and arm chairs are quite nice; curtains are nice; sofas are very small and firm; liked their tufted ottoman (in turquoise); rugs are fine but not better deals than HG or Ikea.
    I like their food and wine, but I'm sure you can find that nearby, too.
    Dishes accessories etc. aren't any better than HG, in my opinion, but it depends on your HG.
    Is there anything you are interested, in particular?

• Fori
    10 years ago

Don't make a trip for it. But it's a fun place to get weird food stuff to fill holiday gift baskets.

• chispa
    10 years ago

I go there to get snacks! They carry a large selection of international candies, cookies, etc. If you've spent time abroad and developed a taste for international snacks this is a good place to try. Lots of British, German & Japanese goodies.

• texanjana
    10 years ago

I wouldn't make a special trip for it, but since I have one nearby, I buy stuff there around the holidays for gift baskets, stocking stuffers, etc.

• Rosann Johnson
    10 years ago

We have many in the Pacific Northwest. They are nothing like Pier I or HomeGoods (the household branch of Marshalls). World Market has a lot of imported beers, some kitchenware, but nothing you can't find elsewhere, and rustic imported home décor and dishes. Old wood with brass styled. If you are travelling, check their website for stores where you are headed and you can stop in to see if it's worth a special trip. I'd say it isn't. Pier 1 has them beat in quality, uniqueness, variety, and price.

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

There are several in california. Honestly, I think their furniture is very solidly built.. Not like the stuff I see at Pier 1. It is more of a rustic,chunky, eclectic look but the quality of their wood furniture.. in particular the dining tables and the benches and stools are good. Good source for frames and ethnic fabric curtains, linens etc.

• User
    10 years ago

"Pier 1 has them beat in quality, uniqueness, variety, and price."

I disagree. I would not buy furniture at Pier 1 because it's pretty basic and cheap, but I would buy some of the World Market furniture. (Actually, I did buy a table and chairs there years ago.... very solid, heavy pieces for a good price. It will depend on the manufacturer, though. Some of their pieces don't appear as solid.)

I do agree that the store is most like Pier 1 in terms of the style of the items. Home Goods has more cutesy and traditional items, while World Market and Pier 1 have more... well... wordly items.

I would definitely not make a special trip for WM, but I would stop there if you're in the area. (Our closest is four hours away, and I do stop there on some trips... for..... beer, snacks, etc.)

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

I think their furniture is pretty solid in relation to the low cost. Pier 1 is super cheapo - I would never buy anything substantial from P1 but I've purchased a bunch of stuff for my son's apartment from WM.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I bought two armless slipper type chairs from WM and they are fine quality for the price. I needed the seating when I was hosting a large party and thought I could use them in a bedroom afterwards, but I like them so well and they look so good that I made room for them in my living room. They really are only used when I have guests and I'm very careful to keep my grandson from having food or milk or sticky fingers near them because I doubt they will hold up too well against those things. They are covered in a microfiber and I'm just unsure if it would spot clean too well. They were on sale and I got an extra 30% off because they were floor samples. I bought some beautiful coordinating pillows for them, too.

I also love the international food selection and the inexpensive wine selection is good, too. The have great greeting cards and wrapping items. I've bought a few little toys, too, some I've not seen anywhere else.

I'm not sure if I'd drive hours to visit one, but it's a good all around import store in our area.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I've bought accent pieces at both P1 and WM over the years. Both have some solidly built items and both have crappy stuff too. I prefer WM because there is a wider variety of goods. Some of the food is great and I love making care packages for my sons from their selection - just fun stuff to ship to them. I've also bought some cute clothes at WM, their costume jewelry and accessories are fun and there area always coupons. I think their dish selection is better than P1 and more consistent than HG. HG is fun but you never know what you'll find where as I have been able to replace or add to some basic serve ware from WM over the years. If you have other place to go when you're there it's worth a stop but I wouldn't make a road trip for World Market - or for any of them for that matter.

Sadly, HG, WM, P1........ mostly made in China.

• TheRedHouse
    10 years ago

I kind of love WM for certain things. I tend to buy furniture there when I know I don't want to have it forever. It's inexpensive enough that I don't feel bad about craigslisting something when I'm done with it and sturdy enough for daily use. I've had a small dining table, and I currently have upholstered bar stools, a metal coffee table, a lamp and curtains from WM. I find both the style and durability of most WM stuff to be better than Pier 1, Home Goods and Overstock. I've found a few things at WM that I couldn't find anywhere else - at any price point. It's fun to wander around the store too. Plus, there are snacks.

• TheRedHouse
    10 years ago

Rats! Double post!

This post was edited by TheRedHouse on Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 17:02

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    10 years ago

I like WM but would not make a special trip for them. I enjoy many of their kitchen goods and table ware, including table linens. Glasses, do like many of their glasses. They have some nice ornaments around Christmas time that do not break the bank. Dh likes the beer and wine selection and we can find some good, fun snacks for the kids. We appreciate some of the European candy. I find their baskets to be reasonably priced and they have some decor items similar to what I have seen on Ballard for less (like a mesh wall pocket). I have not purchased any furniture there but there have been a few chairs and some outdoor furniture that has certainly tempted me.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Nosoccer.....glad I read this post and discovered there is a WM in Federal Plaza in R'ville. I would wander into the Germantown store once in a while but that closed last year...had no idea there was another one in the area. I have been looking for a Parson chair for a desk, pillows, other decorative items since redoing the downstairs...no luck at HG, TJM, etc...thanks!

• User
    10 years ago

Nice if you like the styles and manage to catch the sales. But not worth a road trip.

They used to have excellent, inexpensive coffee beans.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

"I'd say it depends on how far you have to drive. If I check their store locations, the nearest to PA seems to be Rockville, MD, where, incidentally, I was just yesterday. "

Depends.
    I am in PA and the closest is in North Canton Ohio (130 miles vs 200 miles).
    Dulles, VA is even closer than Rockville is.

• domino123
    10 years ago

I like WM and I've seen some nice solid wood tables
    at Pier 1 but I've also seen some pretty decent furniture
    At WM. I prefer WM. Nice slipcovers and dining chairs,
    Various food items (WM dry packet soups are
    Yummy), snacks AND they have free coffee while
    You shop. I also like some of their holiday decor
    And purchased some pretty nice adirondack chairs there
    When on sale. Nice baskets too.

They phased out a lot of their pet stuff, sadly.

I have both nearby. Rarely go to Pier 1, frequent WM a lot. They
    Also have the best chocolate covered wafer treats - to die for.