Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tofoi

Advice for a rookie in Bay Area .. new windows needed

tofoi
17 years ago

Hi All

I'm looking for some insight. I've been on the Kitchen and Bath forums and realize I'm missing out on the knowledhe on this forum so I thought I'd post. We're doing a fairly large remodel on a home we just purchased. Part of the work our GC is doing is replacing the windows. I'm not sure what kind of windows to get? Do I go through a local window company for ordering? My GC is going to install them all for what I feel is a reasonable cost but I'm not sure what windows to get. We got a quote on Milgard Classic and Andersen (I think 200 series but not sure, I'll check the quote).

I think Home Depot has a shorter leadtime than the window company that quoted us .. but in reading through posts here I gather that its the install that is key to a good window and not necessarily the product.

Any ideas on how to make the choice? Also, are there other companies that won't break the bank that make a good vinyl on the outside and wood on the iside doublehung product with 2-4 week lead time?

TIA

Comments (2)

• thota
    17 years ago

we recently did a vinyl retrofit and went with ABC window contractors in San Francisco, came highly recommended from consumers check book, we are very pleased with them. They manufacture their own windows. Check www.abcwindows.net.

• skydawggy
    17 years ago

"but in reading through posts here I gather that its the install that is key to a good window and not necessarily the product".

You should do some more reading then. The quality of the window is most certainly important. The best installation in the world will not prevent a cheap window from warping and bowing, vinyl deteriation, glass seal failures, poor energy efficiency etc. Most Pro's on here will tell you the selection of a quality window combined with a good installation are both equally important.

I would also avoid anecdotal recommendations and do some research on your own. There are many good companies out there and there are also many bad ones. Sometimes positive and negative information can also be regional. There are a few manufacturers in my area who's Reps aren't even allowed through my front door, who seem to enjoy a better reputation in other areas of the country.

Some of the questions you need to ask and research is material and installation warranties. How long has a particular window been on the market, what type of glass is available and what are the energy efficiency ratings on it? Do you need double or triple pane glass? What type of spacer does the window have and is this the best type? How well will the manufacturer or installer respond if you have a warranty issue? BTW, don't assume that a large heavily advertized company will give you better service or respond appropriately just because they have a national reputation. OTOH, a some smaller company might be just as bad or not even be in business in 5 years.

In many cases, you will do better with a company that sells and installs the window. You may pay a little bit more, but you are more likely to get a better quality installation by an installer who is an expert on that particular window than you would with the GC using his carpenter or drywall installer to "pop a few windows in". Many windows have peculiarties that only an expert is experienced enough to deal with properly.

Additionally, when it comes to warranty claims, many manufacturers will automatically blame any issues on the installation. The last place you want to be is caught in the middle of that scenario. Make sure you get all labor warranties in writing and make sure the company offering them has a good reputation and has been in business at least 10 years.

Please fell free to ask any questions that come up in your research.