Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
exesyle

Making an old kitchen space work until full remodel?

Exesyle Jones
11 years ago
I can't afford to completely remodel this kitchen for a few years. What are some budget friendly things I can do immediately to help make this kitchen space work now? I could maybe spring for new appliances but don't know where to start.

In the second photo, both the half wall in the kitchen and the interior wall to the right with the windows can't come down until the full remodel because that is where I might want to put the island.

All suggestions welcome! Thank you in advance.

Comments (33)

• Exesyle Jones
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I forgot to add - the wall can't come down now either because it is load bearing. Here is a photo from the other side. Ideas on quick fixes for this entire space, especially the kitchen are welcome. I am very new (read: 1 day) to interior design. Thank you.
  • Exesyle Jones
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the ideas and advice. I appreciate it.

I think my husband really wants new appliances though, so we might pick up some stainless steel ones.

Any ideas on colors for painting the cabinets for the time being? The wood really bothers me.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Gray would be my pick for the time being.

House 19 · More Info
  • apple_pie_order
    11 years ago
    This kitchen has a good floor plan, big windows and nice flooring. Are the countertops and the current appliances a light avocado green? Are the cabinet doors and drawer faces deeply grooved wood?

For $500, you can prime and paint the cabinets, replace the cabinet pulls and change out the stained glass light fixture. You can also remove the wood valance over the sink.
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    I agree and feel you should spend your effort looking at dream kitchens and figuring our a real plan and budget.
    In the meantime a coat of fresh paint will make you feel better -.work with the dark wood and future stainless appliances. A mid warm tone like Benjamin Moore Oat Straw would work well.
  • Exesyle Jones
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you for the suggestions so far. Yes, the current counter tops are a light avocado green and the cabinets are deeply grooved wood.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Check out rustoleumtransformations.com and also look for a product called "Instant Granite." Have seen lots of folks use them and post on HGTV's Rate My Space. Budget friendly and good looking results. Do you have access to a Habitat for Humanity store where they sell stuff that was not used in building a home? Might find some doors for those cabinets there.
  • Exesyle Jones
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I do have a store in my area. I will have to check it out.

Would you keep the cabinets a darker wood color?
  • Brenda Direen
    11 years ago
    Nice wood floors, paint the room a nice mid range gray, replace handles to chrome, have fun with the new appliances your partner wants and add a little chartreuse and wood via accessories. It will be inexpensive for a fresh modern pick me up and leave your money in savings where it needs to be for the future remodel! Have fun!
  • apple_pie_order
    11 years ago
    Do you think the cabinet doors can be reversed, by any chance, to a plain surface? Screw holes for hinges can be filled before painting. The grooved wood can be painted, it'll just require a lot of careful priming and probably two coats of paint. Try removing the wood valance from the sink and practice on that first.

It'd be worth getting an estimate for replacing the old avocado laminate with new white or off white in standard Home Depot colors (the most popular colors are cheaper). Don't get locked into an avocado-centered color scheme that could be changed to something your really like for only a few hundred dollars.
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Other than getting new hardware and moving the placement to the normal position, once these cabinets are painted the whole kitchen will look so much better. I agree about waiting to buying your appliances until you are ready, mainly because the measurements might not work out. I would not spend a cent on this other than painting and hardware. Open a savings account with the money you would spend - a hunderd dollars here and there - to help fund your project only a few years from now. In the mean time, you can add build a really good idea book. Good luck!
  • Exesyle Jones
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you everyone! Great advice. I really appreciate it.

I am pretty sure my partner is dead-set on purchasing new appliances soon, so I will have to carefully consider how I can work them into a future remodel. I know this may not be ideal, but I will work around it and invest in appliances that I really want.

I plan on painting the current cabinets (perhaps seeing if the doors could be reversed first). Great idea on practicing the painting of the grooves on the wood valance above the sink first (if the doors cannot easily be reversed).

I think these cabinets will eventually be moved to the basement.

I am going to look into some inexpensive options for temporarily covering the avocado green counter tops.

What do you mean by moving the placement to the normal position? Moving the handles to the normal right side opening? If so, I should be able to easily do that.

I am still trying to consider paint colors for the room.

Thank you again for all of your advice and suggestions. I only recently discovered this app on my iPad. I plan to take full advantage of it! Look for more photos of my living room to come.

Exesyle
  • apple_pie_order
    11 years ago
    The traditional placement for knobs and pulls is at the upper corner. There are plastic templates you can buy for drilling holes or you can just use a piece of cardboard with a hole in it. You can reuse the pulls you have if you like the style. The finish can be changed with a $10 metallic spray paint but it will not be perfect and it won't last under heavy use, but spraying it once a year is quick and easy. New knobs can be as low as $2 each for metal and $1 each for wood.

I think you will enjoy using new appliances.

For comments on how to paint laminate surfaces such as Formica, try a google search or start a separate discussion with that as a header. The "granite" versions look very, very fake to me, but some people like them.

For help with paint colors, take a piece of the flooring with you to the paint store. The flooring is the dominant unchangeable color in the room. Or print a photo and check that the printed color actually does match the real floor.

If you really enjoy playful colors, you could paint a Mondrian-type color pattern on the doors.
    Small House Project · More Info

MODERN · More Info

Here are some ideas on costs:

paint and primer for cabinets $100
    new light fixture $100 (try overstock.com for bargains)
    new round knobs $60 (30 knobs at $2 each)
    new cloth valance for kitchen window $20
    or new Roman cloth shade for kitchen window $50
    new Moen or Delta faucet $120
  • Exesyle Jones
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    That you, apple_pie_order! Great suggestions and I appreciate the quick cost analysis.
  • fleetwood
    11 years ago
    Looks like you might have the same kind of avocado green dishwasher I used to have in a previous home. We also had a matching range. The dishwasher had 4 different color panels, one was black. I switched the panel from green to black. Instant update. When we purchased our new range, we got one that had a large black window in it. The range and dishwasher were now relating to each other color wise and didn't have to buy a new dishwasher. Maybe this can work for you until its time to buy new. Patience will pay off!
  • extrahorizons
    11 years ago
    I'm working on a facelift for a kitchen too- on a serious budget as well. I know what you're going through, it can be extremely overwhelming! Here are a few suggestions I have:

1. What REALLY bugs you, what can you not live with? Only change these for now.

2. Shop around for a kitchen faucet. I found a really nice Delta in "used" (ie: returned) shape on Amazon for 70.00. It is a 250.00 faucet and looks brand new. Don't buy a cheap China made faucet.

3. If the laminate is in good shape, others are correct; the laminate makeover products for sale now are really amazing. I am putting in Butcher Block counters for around 400.00 DIY. My laminate is in horrible shape with burn marks all over it. Check out either Lumber Liquidators or Ikea for butcher block counters.

4. If the appliances are in decent shape, the appliance spray paint works amazingly well. You could change the Avocado green to white/cream/black pretty easily and inexpensively. We painted a green refrigerator to cream and it looked brand new.

5. Paint is the cheapest redo ever. Painting the cabinets and moving the handles to the lower right-hand corner would amaze you. I would also spray paint the handles rather then replace them.

6. Beadboard wallpaper makes a quick and inexpensive backsplash as well. It looks amazingly real, is paintable and easily replaced later.

7. Back to spray paint- buy an old brass chandelier, paint it a fun color and use it in the kitchen!

Have fun!!
  • PRO
    Prime Siding and General Carpentry
    11 years ago
    Again, I personally would not be buying new cabinet hardware if there was an upcoming remodel. I wouldn't even buy the hardware I want in the new kitchen to use for now. If I were your contractor that is exactly what I would be telling you. If the doors of your cabinets are all that bother you, you can buy just the doors from any supplier, so that is definitely an option that could save you money. However, I would not buy new doors for a temporary fix. It's just a waste of money.
    400 dollars is too much for a temp fix to a counter, especially when you can get laminate counters for about 100 bucks, though I wouldn't touch it till the remodel cause even 100 bucks is too much for something that will be temporary.
    The worst thing you could do is spend a ton of money on temporary things until you get to where you want. It will cost you twice as much to do the remodel this way. Save your money and do it all at once or at least in large chunks. You could do the lower or upper cabinets first and then do the the opposite ones at another time. If you could live with the clashing cabinets for a little bit, that would be the best way financially to do it if you need a month or two between cabinet purchases (though I would just wait those months and do it all at once). It will also be cheaper to have a contractor in to do all the cabinets in one day instead of having to come back.

I wouldn't spend any money on accessories either until the remodel. Nothing on lights, hardware, knick knacks, etc. Again, unless you already know what it is you want. But that would mean you already have a layout from a cabinet supplier available so you know exactly where to locate any new lighting or outlets, etc.
  • apple_pie_order
    11 years ago
    Prime Siding: in the case where the remodel is a year away, I agree with you. In the case where the homeowner says it is "a few years" away, I think there's a lot that can be done on a miniscule budget to make the kitchen more attractive. Sure, some changes will be discarded. But spending $300-$400 now, and then using the kitchen for five years, works out to a bargain.
  • Exesyle Jones
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yea, we are more than a year away. I am thinking 3-4 years potentially, and I don't think I can live without a small face-lift until then. We have some other projects that are priorities first, including finishing the media room, some bathrooms, etc.

As far as saving money, I am confident we can reach our goal in 3-4 years even if I do invest a bit now. I totally agree about not spending too much right now though (especially since it will be remodeled).

I was thinking about $500 now (plus appliances if my partner wants to do that, as I have to take his wants into consideration as well) for the face-lift.

These ideas are all great. I love to entertain, and I think I will be much happier for the next few years if I make these changes.

I am going to stick to simple solutions like paint, simple counter top solutions, painting existing cabinets.

I'll likely leave the green sink unless anyone has any ideas on what to do with that?
  • extrahorizons
    11 years ago
    Well.... I have found a nice stainless sink for 108.00. It's 18 gauge which means it shouldn't bend and scratch as easily. I have a silgranite sink in my house and it's awesome- but they're also 300.00 and up.

www.mrdirectint.com (for the stainless sink)

I also bought an entire Frigidaire stainless appliance package on Black Friday for 1350.00. So keep your eyes peeled for good deals.
  • bdennison
    11 years ago
    definately check out rustoleum transformations. decoenthusiast mentioned the counter restoration, but they also have the cabinet restoration. both are diy and best "bang for the buck". They have a great before and after section on their site to give you ideas. There is an appliance spray paint (can't remember the brand) that we painted my son's fridge with and it looked like new. All of that can be done under $500 and you'll feel more restful in you own kitchen.
  • apple_pie_order
    11 years ago
    The sink is green, too?! The mind boggles.

Is this a Tucson area house developed by John F. Long? The cabinet style looks familiar.

By the way, there are wallpapers specially made to go over lumpy surfaces. They are called "wallpaper liners". Then you prime and paint over the liner or wallpaper with patterned paper over the liner. I'm not sure how well they'd work over a heavily grooved surface if the grooves were not filled, but it is something to experiment with. The paper is less than $10 a roll, sold in double rolls.
  • PRO
    Prime Siding and General Carpentry
    11 years ago
    Ok, if you're not thinking doing the main reno in under 2 years, I can agree with a minor face lift. I'm just so used to our customers trying to penny pinch and it causing my problems for them than if they just let us do our job. I was worried you were considering doing the reno in a fashion that would just cause headaches for you and your contractor.
    So stainless steel appliances are more than fine as they go with pretty much any kitchen.
    If your faucet works though without any leaks and is in the same family style (meaning the base) then keep it. You can attach it to a new sink and counter top with ease. You can get simple counter tops at any major home supply company that won't break the bank.
    Cabinet hardware I would only change what is absolutely necessary. Moving the existing handles may make a world of difference.
    And of course paint...

Good luck with your reno.
  • Exesyle Jones
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hubby and I talked. He wants to get stainless steel appliances ASAP.

I think we might keep the green sink and counter top for ease for now. I actual don't mind the counter tops. It's the cabinets that I can't live with.

What color can I paint the cabinets and knobs to go with stainless steel and green counter tops? What about something for the window?

What should I do with that silly white half wall directly in front of the fridge?

Exesyle
  • Exesyle Jones
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Just to be clear, I don't want to demo the wall just yet because there is electrical elements involved and the floor would be exposed.
  • PRO
    Christine Austin Design
    11 years ago
    Shop for your appliances. There are so many choices but the kitchen should fit around the way you use your kitchen so the cabinets should fit the appliances and not the other way around. Once you have your shopping list , take it to a Kitchen expert (or if you have some design skills, design a layout yourself) Fit in the other desired items you would like ( island, pantry storage, accessories, etc) and if your appliances fit then go ahead and by them.

Mimic the island with a harvest table or other inexpensive cabinet solution like an Ikea chopping block cart. Add a bar top and eating bar to the pony wall.

The only problem may arise if you are considering changing the location and size of your appliances in which case the modifications might blow your " for now" budget. Of course, trying to function crappy appliances might prove to be the best motivator for socking away that renovation money.

Without knowing what style you are going after and what will be in the adjoining space it is difficult to recommend a colour. If it was me, I would use the philosophy of if you can't get out of it, get into it...paint the cabinets black and get yourself some white tops. Change the hardware. Consider it jewellery for the soul and find yourself some very inexpensive ones in the look that appeals to you. If you choose to keep the doors in wood and paint the cases only in a black that matches the detail, take the pulls with you to a hardware store and find something with the same drilling pattern. Be sure to remove the doors when you paint. It might seem a bit of a pain but it will make the painting process a whole lot easier.

As a design student, I did this alot in my early years. Even just changing the hardware to something more tasteful made a huge difference (think of it as dressing up an old dress with a new shoes and handbag. It doesn't have to be designer, it just has to make you feel good.
  • apple_pie_order
    11 years ago
    The half wall's purpose is to give the cat somewhere to sit.
  • Sharyn
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Your cabinets and appliances are the most obvious in need of change. I just used Rustoleum Transformations on my honey oak builder grade cabinets circa 1995. I went with Bright White. No glaze. In as much as I would recommend the product, I caution you that it is extremely tedious and time consuming. Keep in mind, your cabinets are deeply routed, and painting them will just give you painted routed cabinets. Can you remove some of the doors for an open shelving look? Remove the hardware, that will help a lot. Do you know someone handy that is good with a router? It is pretty simple to make your own door fronts and using the router to finish the edge. New appliances are a good idea, the old ones are probably very inefficient. With the money you save running them, you can use towards your dream kitchen. In the adjacent room - please remove the wrought iron fence. I have to admit - for the kitchen being circa 1972? it is in pretty good shape. Good luck. (PS: Love your floors!)
  • mainstreetschool
    11 years ago
    My first house in the 70's had dark brown cabinets and avocado sink and appliances. It is coming back, so you can live with the counters and sink for a while. I would buy stainless appliances and brushed nickel faucet and knobs for cabinets, (this matches stainless). I would place the knobs in the normal corner locations. Paint cabinets charcoal or black (looks great with the avocado counters and sink.) don't worry about the grooves. Put a wider top on the half wall and use it as a breakfast bar with stools. The arches say "Tuscan, Spanish ". Go with it in the wall color and enjoy until the redo in a few years. You could use some black wrought iron decor on the walls, or Big lots and k-mart stores have a lot of metal wall decor with black, green, gold, and rust colors on them. I am getting ready to do temp fix on my kitchen cabinets with paint until my contractor is available in the Spring to do full remodel. I may post before and after pics on that project. Good luck. Post after pics!
  • mainstreetschool
    11 years ago
    I am not sure what your long term plans are for all the spaces, but I would make the paneled room with the fireplace the dining room. Remove the railings and chandelier in the long room, and make this whole room living room. Close off the archway in the kitchen so you have another wall to work with in the kitchen remodel. You won't believe how much more storage and counter top you will have with 3 walls to work with. Then you could still have the breakfast bar between kitchen and dining room. The fireplace in a dining area makes for cozy meals and entertaining.
  • Exesyle Jones
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks again everyone! I appreciate the ideas. I won't be working on this until after the holidays, but I will post before and after pics.
  • Jeannie Nguyen
    10 years ago
    Hi Exesyle, how did the remodel go? Do you have any photos to share of the progress/update?