Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newdawn1895

Suggestions for kitchen cabinets and countertops. Pictures!

newdawn1895
15 years ago

Could anyone give me suggestions on my kitchen cabinets and countertops? I have white white cabinets with the world's worst hardware on them. I can't afford to buy new cabinets at the present time.

I am going to keep the black and white floor. So what do you think of painting them black and adding steeless steel hardware? And putting what type of countertops on?

I would absolutely love to have marble or zinc, but that is not an option for the countertops. Any idea's, think beautiful but cheap. lol

.....Jane

Please excuse all the pictures I am in the learning process.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com

Comments (30)

• Happyladi
    15 years ago

Have you considered removing the row of cabinets above the opening? I think it would really open the kitchen up.

• mcps
    15 years ago

I guess I'm no help because I love what you have! Can you just replace the hardware with something more modern. I agree about removing those uppers over the peninsula.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Well, I love your very charming, vintage kitchen. Take a trip to a hotel/motel this week and look at the starkness of the mid class motels/hotels and return to your gorgeous retreat that you call home and I call "just darling."

• CaroleOH
    15 years ago

I think the white cabinets really open up your space and make it feel airy and light. I really am not a fan of black cabinets. I think you need some color in the room, get some new hardware, but leave the cabinets as they are.

I think the white marble would be awesome with the white cabinets too. Maybe do a white subway tile for the backsplash. I just love white kitchens. You can always do a pretty rug on the floor, or some accent pieces - apple green or red.

• phoggie
    15 years ago

I would leave your cabinets white....and perhaps you can get ubatuba black granite tiles....they are fairly inexpensive and would look great. Yes, you do need new pulls...keep them black or ORB. It looks like you are short on space, maybe you could get a small upright cabinet so you can get some things off of your counter area.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I'm afraid I don't see what's wrong with the kitchen either, or the hardware which seems to be showing up in books & magazines the last few years. I think you just need some stylish accessories and color added, unless the kitchen is just not 'you,' of course.

• newdawn1895
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh thank ya'll so much for all your advice.

Happy and MCPS I don't know if I could remove the cabinet. I have ten sets or more of dishes and to many bowls and way too many glasses. But I love them and use them from time to time. But that is a good idea, honest.

Patricia, thank you darling.

Caroleah I think I may take your advice and bite the bullet and get the white marble. I love that too.

Phoggia I should get rid of that clutter. I hate clutter myself. Thanks so much.

Squirrel Heaven and Patricia you made my day.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I think new pulls and knobs would do wonders. I def wouldnt paint them black, I would keep them white. I love the floor as well. Add a bit of color here and there and you have a great vintage look kitchen- without spending big bucks for it! How lucky you are!

• User
    15 years ago

I like your kitchen as is - it's full of character but I can understan want to change the hardware.

To post pics:
    Since you have a Photobucket acct already - to post in a thread simply "left click" on the 3rd line down under your Photobucket pic that says "HTML code" and then "paste" in the message box her, do nothing else - lines of code will come up. Click on "Preview Message" to see the actual pic - then hit "submit"

Jim

Here's a blk & wht kitchen for inspiration. Not how the green was used as an accent.

• alex9179
    15 years ago

I love it. Marble or soapstone countertops would be fantastic, if that is in the budget.

Also, everything that does not get used every day can be cleared from the counters.
    Hang a paper towel holder underneath one of the cabs, maybe.
    I would set the microwave on the countertop instead of the little table. Actually I would move that table completely out of there and give that spot to your fantastic stool.
    The micro might work where the toaster is currently, or on one end of your island. Just have the back of the appliance facing the wall so you don't have to look at that from the dining room.
    The fan can go in whatever spot you didn't choose for the micro, because I'm assuming it's a necessity.

This may be weird, but you could put a curtain rod on your window and hang really pretty towels from it. Kind of a dual purpose window treatment/display/handy towel holder.

• lyfia
    15 years ago

I really like it as is, but I can understand wanting a change or if it just is not you. How much light do you get in there? I love the black inspiration pic above, but think it works great because of the windows too. You might be able to get the same effect with lots of lighting too.

If you can't afford to loose all the uppers, maybe consider removing a few above the sink to open that area up and maybe add an arch or something in wood to tie the opening in with the side cabinets.

• newdawn1895
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I want that kitchen Jim. Not tomorrow, not next week, but now. lol

How does this sound? White marble countertops, black cabinets, black and white floor, white subway tiles (backblash). I have an old french door painted black in the kitchen (it's not showing in the picture.) Paint the walls off white with the crown molding and windows white. Does that sound tacky? Oh, and add chrome hardware to the black cabinets.

I think that sounds smashing, don't you guys?

Thank you so much for your help. And thank you Jim for the photobucket lesson. I needed someone to help me.

Alex I will get rid of all that clutter isn't it awful?

Lyfia those cabinets go up at least ten feet high, I have to get a stool to get up there for certain things. But it is not a problem, I am use to it.

Ya'll are so talented, I love this place.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

That is one gorgeous kitchen, if your space can handle it (enough white walls and natural light). Now I can see why you wanted the black cabs : ) I like the ideas you just posted.

• newdawn1895
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Squirrel, I think I may try it.

• jen9
    15 years ago

I would spend your money elsewhere ... a weekend getaway, or something .... the kitchen is very charming --- I even like the hardware; I think it suits the space.
    That being said, if you really want to change it, Iam sure it would look terrific with black cabinets, white marble, etc.

• gk5040
    15 years ago

I love the picture chijim posted...wow, I would have never said paint it black until I saw that. Your space is not as open as the picture, so I think you should stick with the white cabinets, new hardware and retile the back splash (other than black). Did you ever consider glazing the white cabinets to give them the aged look, still change the hardware, and do an ivory tumbled travertine backsplash. I would be leary of spending a lot of money to change out the counters, if you plan to one day replace the cabinets. Granite, for instance, usually can not be removed with out breaking it and then x amount of years later it is unmatchable. Its hard to tell from the pics what your counters are made of. Are they in bad shape?

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Since you've already got a tile pattern on the floor, maybe do the marble on the splash too. That's a very pretty look. Or square tiles instead of the brick railroads?

• caminnc
    15 years ago

Your house is wonderful, I am sure whatever you do will look great as you obviously have great taste. Jim, that kitchen is DDG.

• mcu12
    15 years ago

I just replaced my counters, sinks, appliances, backsplash (and kept same cabinets and floors). I thought long and hard about the investment, since it meant I was committing to my existing cabinets and layout for another 10 years or so. I guess what I'm saying is that if you love your existing cabinets and the current layout, then spend money on marble counters. If maybe you are considering a change in the future, you may want to delay it or go with a less expensive counter that would still be an improvement (maybe marble or granite tiles rather than slab)?

And as for painting the cabinets - what about painting the lowers black and keeping the uppers white? I think that would look nice with the black counter and keep the kitchen from feeling too dark. But I do think you should remove the uppers over the penninsula even if it means purging or moving less frequently used items to storage. It would make a big difference.

• teacats
    15 years ago

I do love love love your kitchen as it stands -- even the classic hardware!

BUT if you want a change (and that inspiration photo is WONDERFUL -- thanks Jim!!!) -- then go for it!

I would love to paint the cabinets in my kitchen black too! ((and just may do it this winter!))

Jan

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Even though chijim's inspiration pic is beautiful, I don't recommend trying to copy it without new cabinets. That kitchen has very traditional, heavy on the molding, detailed cabinets that work well in that space with that light. Your kitchen has cabinets with clean and simple lines -- I'm guessing 1950s-60s? The inspiration pic does illustrate that a black & white floor can be a wonderful focal point, but I suggest looking at MCM kitchens for further inspiration with your cabinets.

Without knowing what material works best for a MCM countertop, my suggestions are:
    1. New hardware, absolutely -- sleek modern brushed steel speaks to me.
    2. A metal or concrete countertop can be expensive if installed by someone else, but very inexpensive for a DIY'er, if you're talented in that direction. (Or you might luck into finding a contractor who can do it for less than he wanted 3 years ago.) IMO metal or concrete would work best in your kitchen, but failing that, black granite. Soapstone isn't the right feel for your kitchen, IMO, and marble etches. (Go to the kitchens forum for more opinions & suggestions.)
    3. The dark backsplash is too much! A dark countertop and white backsplash would work much better. If you want some color, you can work in red/green/whatever you like color accent tiles into a plain white (subway or squares)tile backsplash.
    4. Undercabinet lighting looks like a necessity (even if you change to a white backsplash) because of those dark corners. It's not too expensive and it will do wonders in lightening up the space.
    5. Remove a couple of doors, preferably in the upper peninsula, and cut out enough space for glass panel inserts. (Select frosted glass if you don't want everyone to see sippy cups and spider-man plates.) It will lighten up the kitchen and add visual interest.
    6. If you haven't already visited the kitchens forum, check out that place too -- lots of friendly and smart people who'd love to help.
    Good luck!

• patricianat
    15 years ago

I just don't want you to destroy the historical integrity of your home by adding hardware that is decades from the intended look of your kitchen. If you put sleek in your kitchen, it is going to look confused. I think the black kitchen that Jim posted is gorgeous and you can pull that off with paint and perhaps a marble countertop to offset fo much black, but only if you have enough lighting to accommodate it. Otherwise, be happy that you have such a charming, wonderful place and know that many of us would swap our "sleek" 1990s-come-granite-stainless-steel-2005 for yours any day of the week.

• redbazel
    15 years ago

You already have suggestions on your vintage kitchen that are just wonderful.
    Your dining area is darling and I love the bedroom. Cool house!

Red

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I don't think you need to repaint the cabinets or replace the counter. I think you need to remove those cabinets in the opening. That will give you a whole new perspective on your kitchen. Replace the blinds with new and add some color in the form of curtains, rugs and accessories, i.e., canisters. Changing out the hardware would give it a fresh look also.

You might want to consider small changes before a whole kitchen remodel.

• User
    15 years ago

Newdawn, your kitchen is gorgeous and that's coming from someone that prefers stained cabinets. You only showed one side of the cabinets above your sink so I don't know if the front side has glass doors or not. If they don't already, I would certainly consider adding glass to the current doors since you said you have special dishes in there. I'd also either add doors to the back side or even cut out panels and add glass. It wouldn't have to be completely clear glass if you'd prefer just a hint of what's inside. A textured glass would look great and still allow light from one room to the other without loosing your needed storage space. Storage can be pretty and is a very important part of decorating in my opinion.

Here are a couple inspiration pictures I have that I thought might help you along with yet another idea on how to paint your cabinets. If it were my kitchen I'd paint just the sink cabinet black and the cabinets above and below the wall oven in the kitchen. I'd even think of painting the frames of the glass doors (if you decide or they already have glass) the dining room wall color. Not the cabinet itself. Just the doors.
    It looks as though you have black wainscott in the dining room. If that's true, then I'd paint all of the back of the sink penninsula black for consistancy.

The first picture is for it's hardware as shown on the lower cabinets. I think this would keep with the age of your home/cabinets, yet still have an updated look.
    {{!gwi}}

And this one will give you and idea of how mixing it up where you paint black and white could look.
    {{!gwi}}

I'm not sure what your counters are made of, but I like them black. If you want white marble though Home Depot has twelve inch marble tiles for less than five dollars each, if I remember correctly. With a matching grout it would save a lot of money and would by DIYable.

• gk5040
    15 years ago

I thought I would pass on some information I remember about white marble....while picking out granite for a bathroom vanity the granite guy commented on a big white marble job they were working on. He said someone was putting it in their kitchen even though he didnt recommend it. White marble is suseptible to staining because it tends to be more porous than granite...you tend to see it more in bathroom. Countertopbusiness.com has an article about it, so my memory must be serving me correct. Just beware should you choose that route. There are actually some pretty granites that almost have the look of marble and might work out better.

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

ND,i'm sure you've heard the saying 'everything that's old is new again',and I think that's a good description of your kitchen. I know we all get tired of the same day after day thing,and long for change, but 'why fix it if it ain't broke'?

Like someone else suggested,remove the pass-thru cabinet to open things up and bring in more light. I can understand wanting to update the countertops also, but leave the cabinets/hardware alone. ;o)

• User
    15 years ago

Just a note about the granite suggestion. It's been in the news lately that many granites let off high levels of radon gas. And that's not good at all. Radon gas is a carcinogin.

Here is a link that might be useful: Radon and Granite

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

I started a thread about the radon/granite 'theory' on the kitchen forum. There are 'some' who believe the rumor was started by the solid surface industry to scare people into not using granite and boost up their sales.

I heard about it last week on the evening news, and scientists have come to the conclusion the amout of gas emitted is not at a toxic/dagerous level, and certain granites out-gas more radon than others. I'm sure we'll continue to hear more about this.

• newdawn1895
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to all of you for such wonderful advice, I can't say that enough.

Jen- Maybe I should go away to think and plan. Oh wait, we are taking about kitchens, correct? lol

GK5040- My counters are pretty bad they are just black laminate.

Caminne- Thank you I needed to hear that especially today. I had the blues pretty bad earlier.

MCU12- Maybe I will go with granite or marble tiles and open the kitchen up.

Teacats- Thank you my ego is getting bigger as we speak.

Patricia- Maybe I'm being to hasty and probably should take that trip Jen has suggested.

Red- Thank you what a wonderful compliment.

Brutuses- Your right, small changes sometimes make big differences.

Bluekitobessed- Great idea's you have and I am betting you are a decorator.

Justgottobme- I love decorating with dishes, my favorite thing to use. Love the inspiration pictures, very good looking.

I love glass doors on cabinets, a couple anyways. I don't have any now.

GK5040- Yes, there are some gorgeous granites out there.

Patty Cakes- I have heard that saying many times. And yes, it is so true.

Okay, now I am completely confused on what to do. So I am going to take sometime and soak all this in and decide.

I can't thank ya'll enough.

....Jane

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012