Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alextampa

My Teak Table is faded already) Any tips?

alextampa
13 years ago

{{!gwi}}

Guys, my almost brand new teak table looks years old. The sun has faded it so much. I have only had it 3 months or so. Do you have any suggestions on how to make it darker? I do not like to stain things, because of the smell.

Here is a link that might be useful: See The table brand new here.

Comments (7)

• bobismyuncle
    13 years ago

One of the advantages of teak is that left unfinished, it ages gracefully to a gray (silver) with no care. While you could sand it down and apply a finish, it will be a finish that needs to be regularly renewed (read: at least annually).

Resist the temptation to apply Helmsman Spar Varnish as it will not last more than a few weeks in a sun-rich environment.

• alextampa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks, I guess i will just except it

• andersons21
    13 years ago

If you want the new wood look, you must use Smith's Penetrating Epoxy and/or Epifanes Marine Varnish. Sand off the current patina before applying.

• bobismyuncle
    13 years ago

I'm not familiar with that brand of epoxy, but these would fall into the category of "finish that needs to be regularly renewed" Poke around a marina and look for a boat with a teak brightwork and ask how often they need to refresh it.

If you are in Tampa, FL, you are going to get a lot of sun.

> If you want the new wood look, you must use Smith's Penetrating Epoxy and/or Epifanes Marine Varnish. Sand off the current patina before applying

• mike_kaiser_gw
    13 years ago

Any kind of finish is going to "renewed" the question becomes how often. I think it was Fine Homebuilding that gave the nod to Epifanes for durability but in the end they're all going to require maintenance.

• andersons21
    13 years ago

Have you ever seen any boats with teak finished with Smith's Penetrating Epoxy?

It's not going to need to be renewed that often. We've never had to renew it yet. Everything in Fine Woodworking's test, in all climates, looked pretty much perfect after one year; and every other teak finish looked pretty much like c**p.

We have spearguns 15 years old used heavily in California sun and sea, look brand new.

• jeffrow
    13 years ago

As a boat owner, my teak gets 4 coats of Epiphanes twice a year on average. Cetol is another product people like, more of a synthetic finish, but can give teak an orange cast. Simple solution might be to sand it and give it a couple of coats of teak oil on a regular basis.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21