Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Should I change my name to Beachhouse Redux?

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

We are under contract!

Some of you probably remember we were under contract almost a year ago on a beachhouse. That ended up having deed issues, still unresolved!

We have been back and forth for a week on a new place and just agreed to terms!

The house is a rather formal old grey Dutch Colonial with a 50foot long verandah facing the ocean!

I will post pictures as soon as I can. The nice part is this isn't a teardown or even a major reno. But we will be doing a new kitchen and baths and adding a pool.

I will be imposing on all of your for your wisdom!

Comments (39)

• arlosmom
    10 years ago

I'm very excited for you!! And I can't wait to see pictures...lots of them!!!

• nhb22
    10 years ago

Sounds so nice. We lived in a Dutch Colonial when we first moved to TN. No sprawling front porch, but did have a 40' front porch, that faced the mountains, at another house. Very nice.

Tells us more. Up on a hill, beach front?

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 17:26

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Wahoo!

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

That is exciting news. I am very happy for you.
    I cannot wait to hear more.
    How far from your home?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Arlosmom. Im posting from my iPhone but will post photos when I can.

Thanks, Lyban. It's about 3:30 from our house.

Thanks, Annie!

Thanks, New. The property is 1.6 acres oceanfront . The house sits on a small rise, with a lovely sweeping lawn down to the ocean.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Congratulations! It sounds wonderful!

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

WooHoo for you! Glad it has come together for you and your family. Lots of great memories in your future!!

• texanjana
    10 years ago

It sounds amazing, can't wait to see pics.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Congratulations....how exciting! Can't wait to see pics!

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

Woo Hoo!!!! Congratulations!!

When can I come visit??

• User
    10 years ago

Hooray!!! This is just what I need to get my mind off the basement renovation that starts mid September, lol!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can't figure out how to get good photos other than a screenshot from the listing, so here it is.

Fingers crossed that THIS time, the deal actually closes. We have agreed on a quick close -- Oct 11th -- but we need to do an inspection and that is no small matter in a 1906 home.

I am in a hurry to get everything done by next May. The list includes painting the whole house, redoing the kitchen and 2 of the baths, adding another bath, adding a bedroom on the 3rd floor, combining 2br on the second floor for a master suite, possibly adding a deck off the master, and putting in a pool! So, I apologize in advance for hogging the board. And, if, like last time, we go through all of this together and then we don't close, I will have to change my GW moniker and slunk off...

{{!gwi}}

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another shot

{{!gwi}}

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and one more

{{!gwi}}

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

umm, hmm, that worked in preview, but can you guys see it?

Maybe this:
    {{gwi:1492524}}

and this
    {{gwi:1492526}}

• nhb22
    10 years ago

Oh it's beautiful and just as I imagined!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

Bee, anytime. : ) for real

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Oh, come on. You know, I thought I liked you. I really did. Then you posted the pictures of your ridiculously magnificent house. And now this? I can't help it, I am starting to hate you a little.

If this is in Ogunquit, I'm really just Done with you, mtn, my former friend.

• sochi
    10 years ago

That looks gorgeous, what a beautiful home! I can't wait to see the progress through the renovations!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now c'mon SueB, i think it was the lusting after YOUR beachhouse that started all this! Now find me a cow painting, ok?

Thank you, Sochi. I hope you are still saying "I can't wait to see the progress through the renovations" after my umpteenth post here six months from now. : )

You guys are going to be so sick of my posts, I am going to have to wear a fake nose and glasses.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

duplicate

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 22:13

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Thud.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Looks like a great house and property.

I'll answer your balcony-in-the-master question here. I would go for it, but hire a good architect to design it. Does it fit with the original roof lines? Not really. Will it really enhance the master bedroom, light & air circulation? You bet.

• Mimou-GW
    10 years ago

Should I change my name to Beachhouse Envy? So lovely!

• goldengirl327
    10 years ago

Congratulations! Friends of ours have a very similar style/era house in York and I never tire of their view overlooking the rocky coast. The search for our Maine house ended in Kennebunk Beach and we have made many great family memories there. I wish you and your family the same. Enjoy!!

• natesgram
    10 years ago

Be still my heart...
    I'm looking forward to the next few months of your remodeling with questions, this great board, and pictures. Lots of pictures.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Congrats, it's lovely!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Double post--delete

This post was edited by cat_mom on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 0:39

• mudhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Lol, oldbat2be, that was my reaction too.

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

Wow, I can't even imagine owning that wonderful house on the ocean front.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone, it's really fun to have "virtual friends" to share it with. Especially friends with good taste. : )

We are going to be in rush to get everything done before next summer, so bear with me for over-posting...

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Congrats! Looking foward to seeing your changes/decorating.

tina

• arlosmom
    10 years ago

Wow, that's amazing. Vintage Dutch Colonials are so very charming. I'm so looking forward to seeing your adventures in making this your own. I love everything you've already done with your little stone house and your main house.

So I skimmed through your posts asking about painting white inside and the balcony outside and here's my $0.02 (for what it's worth). If it were me, I'd start by peeling off everything that you KNOW is going away. Get rid if drapes and wallpaper and prime the walls of any rooms that have colors that you don't like. Take away everything that you're certain that you dislike. Strip it down to basics and see what's left. Commune with it for a little while. Wander around with a glass of wine and just imagine options. You have a great "gut"...just go with it.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Wow!!!

Simply grass-green with envy here -- gorgeous home -- and I can tell that it is truly a "home" -- not just a house!

Congratulations! And many Happiest of Times there! I know that you can make this home into a welcoming and elegant place! :)

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

It's wonderful, mtn. Congrats! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Mtn, just to show that we're still friends...

Here is a link that might be useful: Cow.

• rafor
    10 years ago

Love it! Posted on your x-post too.

• hoosiergirl
    10 years ago

It's so picturesque! I don't know which I think is more fantastic, your current home or this beauty! You are truly blessed!!

• upa_lazy_river
    10 years ago

I don't post a lot but needed to let you know this home is stunning! So much better, IMO, than the "other" one you were considering. Congratulations, can't wait to watch the progress!!