Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbpag

Ceiling fan light problem - wattage limiter?

I was trying to figure out if I should post here or in the lighting forum. I usually hang out in the kitchen forum...

My home was built less than two years ago. The electrician installed several Craftmade TR-52 ceiling fans with integrated light kits. On four of the fans (so far) we have been unable to get the light to work after the original bulb burns out. We were able to replace the bulb in one of the fans. A couple others aren't used as much and the bulbs haven't burned out yet. I tried taking a bulb from one of the still-working lights (the bulb came with the fan) and putting it in a fan with a burned-out bulb, and it still wouldn't work. I tried putting my brand-new bulb in a fan with a still-working bulb, and it worked fine. So it doesn't appear that the bulb is the problem.

By the way, each fan uses a single 75-watt Halogen T4 bulb with mini candelabra base.

I called our lighting company, and they called the manufacturer. They said it was a bad receiving module and sent us replacements. That didn't make sense, but we tried replacing two and that made no difference. They then said they had bad wattage limiters and that we should remove the wattage limiters. They are willing to pay for an electrician to do that. Our other choice is that they would give us replacement fans and remove the wattage limiters at the factory.

Does that even make sense? From my research of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, the maximum wattage for my lights is 190 watts. We are way under that. Why would the limiters work only until the bulb burns out?

Is there any other reasonable explanation?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Comments (6)