Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pfhlad0

Ceiling fan wiring problem

pfhlad0
15 years ago

I need to replace my lighted ceiling fan. I want the switch on the wall to control the light only; the fan should be controlled by the pull chain on the unit itself.

Here's what I have:

-One switch on the wall.

-2 sets of wires in the junction box in the ceiling. Each set has a black, white, and ground wire. One set is controlled by the switch on the wall.

-A ceiling fan (with light kit) that has black, white, blue, and ground wires.

We took down the old fan but forgot to record how it was connected (so we could duplicate the wiring with the new fan). We tried various combinations (ones that were safe, of course), but could not get it to work like we wanted. The only way we could get it to function was to connect to the switched wires only (white-white, ground-ground, black-black-blue) and cap off (i.e., not use) the other set of wires in the ceiling.

Can anyone please tell me how to reconfigure it so that I get my desired output (light controlled by switch, fan controlled by pull-chain)?

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• billhart
    15 years ago

Did the old fan/light have the switching capability you want in the new one?

The key is understanding the set of wires you capped off. My guess is that they go to a switched receptacle in the room. See if there is a dead one (or half a duplex) now. If they were connected to the switched wires before, and the fan/light works from the switched wires, then the capped-off wires can't have power on them.

If you don't have continuous power on some wires in the ceiling box, then you will have to run another cable to get it there, or else give up on your goal.

• pfhlad0
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, the old fan worked the way I wanted it to. No, the switch doesn't control a receptacle in the room.

• billhart
    15 years ago

If it worked as you described, then the capped wires had to have unswitched power. Switched black to fan/light black and continuous black to fan/light blue, or vice versa if I got it wrong. White to white.

Do the capped wires have power now? Maybe they are on a different breaker and that one tripped. That would be a mess, but something a DIY might have done. The issue is that you have only one neutral in the fan/light. It will work with any neutral (unless there is a GFCI involved) but it isn't per code to mix them unless they belong to the same circuit (simple or multiwire).

• abnorm
    15 years ago

You have a "switch loop".....the white and black wires are connected to the switch.....the white should be remarked as a black wire.......

All these connections are in the ceiling box......(you do have a fan-rated box and support?)

The POWER cable White connects to the FAN White

The POWER cable Black connects to the SWITCH cable White (now remarked black) AND the FAN Black

The SWITCH cable Black connects to the FAN(LIGHT) Blue

All bare and green Ground wires are connected and connected to the metal box........

The Fan is always ON.....controlled by the pullchain......

The Light is controlled by the wall switch

• billhart
    15 years ago

He said it worked when connected to the switched wires. I am assuming that means the switch turned everything on and off. If not, then the original post's description was not correct, and it probably is a switch loop as described by abnorm.

If it worked with the other set of wires capped off and the switch turned things on and off, then it isn't a switch loop, and we are back to my previous post.

• pfhlad0
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think there's some confusion in my post. The capped wires were not capped in the original configuration. Both sets coming from the ceiling were connected to the old fan (which worked the way I wanted it to), but I can't remember how they were connected.

The one set is capped off now, because we didn't use those wires. It's working (light and fan), but not the way I really want it.

• hendricus
    15 years ago

At the switch, how many wire cables are there? If just one with white and black connected to switch, then go to abnorm post. If two cables are present at the switch location more advice will be forthcoming.

• billhart
    15 years ago

I guess instead of hinting at the question, I should ask it directly.

You say it is working with one set capped off. But does the wall switch control it?

How do you know which wires go to the switch?

• pfhlad0
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The wall switch controls both the light and the fan. It's an OK setup, but I'd really like the switch to only control the light and the fan to always be on (so I can use the pull-chain).

We used a tester to determine which set of wires from the ceiling was controlled by the switch. The one that is controlled by the switch is the one that's currently hooked up to it. The other one is the capped off one.

• billhart
    15 years ago

That rules out the switch loop explanation.

Is there power on the capped-off black wire? If so, then the old setup separated the fan/light black and blue wires and ran one to each black wire. This may or may not be per code (not keeping power with the associated neutral if the capped wires don't also come from the switch box), but would explain how it worked.