Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suz59_gw

generators

Suz59
9 years ago

I need info on what kind of generator to get for backup for a 1500 sq ft modular home. Central air, built in 1996. I live in a rural area where the power goes out a lot, sometimes for days. I am not strong enough to pull start, I need an electric start. I need an idea of how much an electrician would charge to hook it up so all I have to do when the power goes out is turn a key or push a button. I only have about $2000.00 max for the generator, electrician total. Can anyone advise?

This post was edited by Suz59 on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 0:08

Comments (9)

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

Can't answer that question with the scant information provided. The best bet would be to call several (and get references) and get estimates.

• Suz59
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What info do you need? I'm not at all familiar with anything electrical, I know nothing about construction, I am not a handy-man. We cannot afford a "standby" type like Generac, we have a maximum budget of $2000.00 for the cost of the generator and paying an electrician to install it total. So what info do you need, nothing too technical I hope.

This post was edited by Suz59 on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 13:44

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

I need to know just where the panel is, where the branch circuits you want to connect are, etc... This is not something we're gong to do over the net.

The other option is to get some extension cords to the appliances you want to run and in the case of power failure wheel your generator out of the garage, fire it up, and plug in the extension cords.

• User
    9 years ago

Be advised that if you plan to power a whole house A/C unit, that will DRAMATICALLY affect the size of the required generator!

• Blancowest
    9 years ago

The last generator I would advise is a Generac. They can and will throw you under the bus any time and not look back. I own a 6500 watt diesel genset that was mounted in an rv. Generac just tells me that it is old and we don't support RV generators anymore. What a load of Bull. I know mine wasn't the only generac diesel installed in motorcoaches. If I could find a class action suit against this bunch of clowns I would join in a heartbeat. There is nothing much to be found on this genset. I have been told by several generac parts suppliers that it is not possible to get repair/troubleshooting manuals on this unit.

• User
    9 years ago

Blancowest,

To possibly get some help with your RV Generator:

Here is a link that might be useful: RV Forums

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

Generac says that they use engines that are widely available in the marketplace. Read down the right side of the page at the link.
    It is not stated if the problem is with the engine or the electrical components.
    Might just be a troll post.
    I have no experience with Generac generators.

Here is a link that might be useful: Generac

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

Generac's stationary generators are well supported and reliable. Unfortunately they did a disservice by buying up some other brands and remarking them generac, some of which was crap and others they decided (as Blanco discovered) that they didn't want to deal with at all.

• jrb451
    9 years ago

This site will give you some information about the amount of wattage you're going to need. (There are several others, so just do a search.) Once established you can price generators with that capacity. I don't think that $2,000 will get you a stationary standby generator with an automatic start. You most likely going to have to give some things up to get what you can afford.

Good luck.

http://www.generatorjoe.net/html/homeowners.html