Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisac_gw

What color pic frames with SW Blonde?

lisac
15 years ago

Hi, I've posted a couple of times before, and everyone was so helpful..My living room was recently painted SW Blonde. The window trim is a creamy white, curtains are pearl/ivory color. I went to hang my black picture frames back up, and they do not seem to go with the color scheme! They look very harsh next to the curtains. With that said, what color options do I have? I have one framed piece that is bronze color, but I thought that would be too much if I'm doing a gallery look to one wall.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• parma42
    15 years ago

I have Blonde and my black looks great with it.

Maybe your matting is too much of a bright white. Do you have any pics?

• lisac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks, I'll see if I can take pics today. I think it's the black right next to the drapes. My room is all windows (5). The room is very monotone-the sectional is light camel color, club chair is leather and entertainment center and bookcase are mahogany color and rattan chair is dark honey. Maybe because I have no black in the room?

• dixiedo
    15 years ago

I also have black frames with my Blonde, but have many other darker accessories, curtains, etc that helps pull it together.

Maybe a chery wood?? What color are you tables/entertainment pieces in that room?

• lisac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

the wood is mahogany color. The black frames I currently have are very thick. Do you think I should try thinner black frames?

• dixiedo
    15 years ago

I would probably stick with the mahogany tones for your frames if your room is going towards a monochromatic scheme already.... pictures would definitely help though =)

• Taralyn
    15 years ago

no black? yep, that would be it. a black frames gallery with the warm tones you describe would stick out. Match the mahogany or honey wood tones already in the room - if you are stuck with the frames you have, grab a can of spray paint in whatever metal you have used, like the bronze. The key is repetition of other elements in the room...you want the focus on the pics, not the frame....

terry

• ally11
    15 years ago

Lisac,

Did you have any success with the gallery wall? I am thinking of something similar, but on the Ivoire paint. I have b/w photos, but was thinking either black or dark cherry frames.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

When I've had a similar problem I bought a tube of gilding paint in an antique gold and brushed it on my frames with a watercolor brush. I've even just used my fingers at times. I don't usually put the color on solidly but more in a streaky fashion. It lightens up the frames considerably and will help them to blend in with your curtains. Michael's or Aaron Brothers or other art or craft stores have these tubes and it's a lot cheaper than buying new frames. I can't tell you how many plain brown and black frames I've "gilded" with this method. It really works!

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

Love the idea of gilding -- check out Rub n Buff as well as they have colored tints along with the standard silver/gold/bronze.

Given the windows, light colors etc don't shy away from a colored frame if it works with what's *in* the frames. A deeper sage, midtone olive, or medium greyed green, a slate-y or "spa" blue, or a medium-to-darker grey could help balance out the lightness of the wall and sofa colors with the darker wood pieces.

[I have a close color to Blonde in a hall and my office but I'm not much help as I have a lot of black/dark tones nearby or in the room. Black, dark reddish brown, and orange frames work for me.]

• loribee
    15 years ago

Gee...my DR has similar colored walls and I like the contrast of all black frames in there~

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

loribee, you have an absolutely gorgeous home. It's elegant and grand and yet warm and in inviting at the same time. Beautiful use of color and love the drapes.

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack but couldn't contain myself.

Ingrid

• loribee
    15 years ago

That was very kind Ingrid, thank you so much. :) Lori

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths