Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monicakm1

Stain Brand Quality. Minwax No Good?

monicakm_gw
9 years ago

As if I wasn't having a hard enough time choosing a stain color, I had to go and read up on prepping for a good staining job. Most of the sites I was on poo-pooed Minwax. Is it a cheap (low quality) DIYer stain? I have three cans of the oil based version I've been playing with. I'm holding up progress and I'm no closer than I was a week ago to choosing a color(s).

Comments (7)

• chucksmom
    9 years ago

I prefer Benjamin Moore stains over Minwax.

• chucksmom
    9 years ago

I prefer Benjamin Moore stains over Minwax

• cat_ky
    9 years ago

I like minwax. Years ago, when we had our shop open, everything was finished with minwax, and everyone was pleased with the finish on things.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

The penetrating stains, applied to stripped wood, have been fine for my projects, but I have heard nothing but grumbles about the polystains/PolyShades (stain color and in polyurethrane). I have never used their PolyShades products.

Benjamin Moore is probably a better-quality product, but you are going to pay a lot more for it. it depends upon your project IMO--an outdoor deck will have to withstand everything the sun and nature throws at it; a desk in your guest bedroom probably won't require that amount of fortitude. The difference BM would make to the final product outcome may not be noticeable visually for a less demanding application.

• dainaadele
    9 years ago

Minwax is a usually stain and sealer, so if you are going for a dark color where you may need more than one coat of stain or a chance for it to get down deep, you do not want the sealer aspect. For dark coffee-like colors, water based stains almost work better, they penetrate down into the pores.

The same goes for the finish issue. If you are planning on using tung oil or other kind of penetrating finish, you don't want the sealer.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Minwax's "polyshades" is terrible
    Minwax's gel stain is horrible

Applied carefully to a properly prepped surface the penetrating oil-based stains work pretty well. Make test samples - testing every thing all the way out to the final finish - and keep track of what you do so you can repeat it.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. Going to the city on Friday. Will go to the BM store to check out their stains. I like their paints and whatever I choose for the walls I'll take to BM to have them match it. The Minwax I've been testing isn't the polyshade or gel. It's an oil based stain (and) sealer. But the sealer part isn't like a finish sealer. It will still need a varnish/lacquer in semi-gloss.
    This is a vanity in my husband's bathroom. I only need a quart so price isnt' an issue. As far as durability requirements, let's pretend it's an outdoor deck and maybe it will be able to withstand whatever he can throw at it for the next 25 years :) I'm trying for a golden reddish brown (in case anyone might know of a good mixture). Right now the best I've done is half English Chestnut and half Special Walnut. Wondering if English Chestnut and Golden Pecan is what I need (on knotty alder). I wasn't expecting to have to do this. My cabinet maker is great at building vanities but he didn't stain mine 7 years ago. When I called him about this bathroom reno, I asked if he could stain it too. He said he would, but I don't think this isn't' his forte and the only help he's given me is a scrap piece of alder. I'm thinking I should find someone else to do the staining. I've got umpteen labeled samples on it.