Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
61tinkerbell

Just Arrive - Reupholstered Chairs

tinker_2006
11 years ago

I just had 3 chairs redone, and I love them. The decorator was directing me to certain prints, and I know - these may not have a bold WOW factor, but I tend to be conservative! They changed the look of my room completely!

They are in my "sunroom/office". The room is yet another room I still need to finish and it IS NOT DECORATED.

My question now is in regards to the floor! It currently has gray tile, and I just wish that I had changed it out before we moved in, but I didn't. I think it looks good with the chairs, and I actually like the gray - it's just in poor shape, which the pictures don't reveal, but in real life the floors are blotchy, and old looking. I cleaned them with heavy duty stuff, and sealed it so they look much better, but I plan on putting a area rug in the room.

I have been focusing on an oriental... but I just stumbled upon this "vintage/distressed" gray rug from Restoration Hardware. I think it would work, DH is turning his nose down, and therefore.. I'm back here to ask

what do you think!?
{{!gwi}}From 2012-06-30
{{!gwi}}From 2012-06-30
{{!gwi}}From 2012-08-15

Comments (26)

• User
    11 years ago

The rug is ok but frankly a little boring. Have you looked at some of the striped (both subtle and very pronounced) rugs at Albert and Dash? They have muted blues and creams that would be a treat in your sunroom. I think the tile calls for something a little more relaxed and coastal than the tailored gray rug you have pictured. LOVE the chairs!

• bac717
    11 years ago

The chairs are beautiful. Love the fabric! As for the rug, it seems like it's almost the same color as the floor. I think I would look for something in a lighter color.

You said you just had 3 chairs redone. You're holding out on us. Where's the 3rd chair? ;)

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll take a look at Albert & Dash.. forgot about them. The rug is about the same color, guess that was my idea! lol.. I do like the gray in the room, but need a rug.. so that was my thought, which I knew somehow would get blown out of the water!

3rd chair.. different room!

• beeps
    11 years ago

The chairs look great! I'd try Overstock. They have tons of rugs and good prices. 10% off Labor Day sale is still on I think.

I love gray, am putting gray tile and carpet in my new house, but I'd suggest a rug other than just plain gray. You could do cream, or light yellow, or blue, or... And grays can be tough to get to play well together so I'd avoid plain gray for that reason alone.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are a few I like, I have a couple favorites... ( I like the first 2) thoughts?
    {{!gwi}}From July 12, 2012

• Arapaho-Rd
    11 years ago

tinker, if it's a small room, the gray rug would let the chairs be the focus. Too much pattern in the rug might not work. Is this the room you purchased the gray desk for from Ballard?

• Jess TKA
    11 years ago

Love the chairs! So pretty and they look comfy, too.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Love the chairs, but the solid grey rug will not work. I wanted a brown rug, but when I tried them, they totally blended in with our HW floors. You need to have some contrast. I wound up with stripes that included brown.

I like the first one, but something with both yellow and grey would be fabulous. That's a hot combo right now.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

I think 2 or 4. The chairs look fabulous.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

arapaho, it is a small room 10 x 12 - oh my gosh.. you have a great memory! Yes, this is where my ballard design desk is - and it is light in color. I'm posting a very messy, disorganize picture of the room.

Excuse the mess! {{!gwi}}From 2012-06-30

Desk in tucked in a recessed area {{!gwi}}From 2012-06-30
    {{!gwi}}From 2012-06-30

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm so glad everyone likes the chairs!! I did not request help with these.. felt I might get too confused (like my kitchen valances - I'm still confused! It did take me weeks to make a decision, and I could tell that the decorator at Calico Corners thought it was blah... not bold enough, but they are "me". I love bold stuff, I just can't wear it or decorate with it.

• Arapaho-Rd
    11 years ago

tinker, love that room and I think I'd find myself tucked in there a lot! Can you take a close-up photo of your fabric? That would help with the rug selection.

• Arapaho-Rd
    11 years ago

Instead of making you take a photo, would this be it on Calico Corners website?

Here is a link that might be useful: your fabric

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

I like the chairs!

I would go for a solid rug (textured would be good)-- otherwise I feel it will be too much w/the grout lines + chair pattern to introduce any more pattern.

What color is your wall? Is it a yellow with a green in it?

Is the table with the lamp between the chairs staying?

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Love the chairs! That fabric is beautiful and they look absolutely gorgeous.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I think something like the one below would look fantastic, it has texture which the room needs. You'd have a choice of any of the colors. I'd even copy the jug with the dried vines and add it to the corner of the room. Love the chairs.

Here is a link that might be useful: rug

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

arapaho, yes - that's the fabric!

anele, that was why I first thought to use a solid, I didn't want to make the room too busy, the gray is a textured, "worn" wool rug. I liked the gray floors (more than I thought I would), and thought the rug would just blend, and help hide the tile somewhat.

The walls are cream - SW Creme' (almost finished painting). I am keeping the side table, fixing or replacing the lamp.. TBD. I did have the chairs under the front windows, which looked nicer, but no view of the outside in that direction and there is a recessed bookcase - which was also hard to get at.

• User
    11 years ago

I love the striped rug! It is more casual than the others and its lighter feel would be better for such a small room.

The orientals will make this room look too much like your dining room, IMO. It's a great look, but not for every room.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kswl.. just not sure about the striped rug! thinking, thinking - I am!

I am liking #4 alot - it's soft, yet not bold and taking over the small room. Only thing is it is 2 x's + more expensive! {{!gwi}}From 2012-06-30

the solid gray I posted - also has a silver {{!gwi}}From 2012-06-30

I'll be eventually making pillows - here is the fabric for the pillows {{!gwi}}From 2012-06-30

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

... have to keep in mind the border on any rug is are these gray 8x8 tiles

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

I'm a 'pattern on pattern person', so I LOVE rug #2, if it is as muted in person as in the pic. It has the wall color and all the colors in the chairs.

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

tinker, I love the first 2 you posted; rich and elegant. I think they are the only 2 that give your chairs the background they deserve.

Otherwise, I would also see a wool sisal bordered in grey leather, but those are custom made.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

I have the striped Dash and Albert rug pictured, in my family room. I didn't want to use a costly rug there, as we have a new puppy. I also have some D&A rugs in my lakehouse. They are so reasonable they are practically disposable, and I love their palette.

However, I do have to say, they are about the thickness of a good tablecloth. Even with a rug mat, they curl up a bit and slide. I now prefer to use them, as i do needlpoints, over sisal wall to wall.

So for a tile floor, you may find it annoying. You may also have a hard time finding a rug that works when you pull you desk chair out, kwim?

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mtnrdredux, that is very, very helpful information. I definitely desire a thicker rug, and I actually did think that the Albert & Dash would be too thin. I did have an 8'10 persian rug in the room until last week. (rug is ugly - can't use). I had no trouble with my desk chair....

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

I love the first two you posted, but just had a thought after reading mtnrdredux's comment -- have you considered something that's wool or wool blend but has the look of sisal? That straw color with a bit of texture could be great with your chairs in a sunroom. I know there are wall-to-wall carpets that resemble sisal and am assuming that there are area rugs as well. Or you could always have a piece of carpet bound, which might be a nice look for this less formal space as well. Now I have to admit, once and for all, that every time I see another part of your house (particularly after you've completed furnishing/painting/transforming it) I am jealous! OK, got that out of my system.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have a little bathrug - white with blue strips, and I laid it down next to the chair, and it really does looks nice! I ran down to the local store that carries Albert & Dash as well as Barrier Island.. and I ruled them out for this room because they are thin.

Calculating the votes here... more voted for #2 than any other rug, .. so I ordered it! I have 14 days and it can be returned - if needed.

lazydaisynot, thank you. The house is a gem, so much work, but I'm so glad we rescued it from a demolition ball!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living