Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ratherbesewing

Considering these chairs. Pls tell me your thoughts.

ratherbesewing
10 years ago

I have been searching Craigslist for chairs (I think they are called Louis XVI) like this in my area for awhile but no luck. If I found them, I envisioned 4 of them to be used at my kitchen table, painted and reupholstered by me (my new favorite pastime). Since Craigslist is a bust, I am considering this option from Overstock. I have read the reviews, which are mixed, but was hoping someone could give an opinion on Overstock's chairs. BTW, my chairs do not get heavy use--we usually sit at the island to eat.

Here is a link that might be useful: overstock.com

Comments (7)

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

I have purchased chairs from Overstock (not recently - maybe 5 or 6 years ago). For the price they were a good value and quite comfortable, but they did show wear faster than a better quality chair. However, the reviews were universally positive for the chairs I purchased. My policy with Overstock is to only buy items with at least five 90%+ positive reviews - bonus added for reviews that say things like "this is much better quality than I expected" or "I can't believe what a great value this is". With chairs, I would also want to read a review about their comfort. I don't buy a lot from Overstock but the items I have purchased have generally been great (but using that super-careful policy about reviews). Good luck with your decision - I do love the look of those chairs you are considering!

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

After reading the reviews I'd be very leery. They look nice but sound pretty insubstantial.

I'm interested in your reupholstering venture. Are you self taught, did you take a class, or use a book or DVD?
    I've got a lot of experience slipcovering, so the sewing part is a no-brainer for me, but I've never done any reupholstering, and would like to. What would you say about the learning curve? If I decided to take it on, how many pieces of practice furniture should I expect to want to resell on CL before I've got something I want to keep? Thanks. and good luck with your search for chairs.

• nanny2a
    10 years ago

Not meaning to highjack, but I wanted to comment on the reupholstery question. IâÂÂm self taught, and did watch a video online, as well as research tips online. My first attempt sits proudly in my office, and everything done after that, (two wing back chairs and two club chairs), came out so well that they were in use immediately, as âÂÂnewâ furniture! ItâÂÂs not difficult to learn, but having strength to take out the hundreds of staples is necessary, and having a pneumatic staple gun to put the new fabric on makes the job much easier and quicker.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Similar to your selection. One is more expensive and one is less expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Similar Chairs

• vera11
    10 years ago

I bought 4 contemporary chairs at O..putting the bases together was a nightmare....check if they are assembled.

• ratherbesewing
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To mlweaving: I, too,was a long time sewer, but I found an upholstery class at a local community college. I liked the class--we all brought our own chair and the instructor walked around to each of us, assisting,teaching etc. Upholstery is so different compared to sewing (from springs to foam selection to ply grip). Every chair's anatomy is also different so I often go to the Internet for assistance when I see something new. Once you have completed a chair, you will have a new understanding to why upholstery prices are so high! My advice, pick up a chair at Goddwill and go for it!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I bought four chairs at O about six years ago and have been very happy with them. Being it was that long I can't remember for sure what the ratings were, but they must have been good or I'd have not taking the chance in having to return them and pay for shipping. They are in the Ladies Parlor therefore get very little use, but they are comfy and have held up quite well. I'm very happy with them.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert