Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Blank Slate - Help me decorate my formal Living/Dining Room (pics

Valerie Noronha
16 years ago

Our remodel is now "complete" and I need to furnish/decorate my living and dining rooms. The bones are there and I'd really like them to look welcoming for the holidays and I'm planning to host Thanksgiving this year. I will be starting off with furniture, window treatments and area rugs. You enter the house through a formal entry and the living room is on one side and the dining on the other so I would like all three rooms to have a similar color scheme.

Living Room:

{{gwi:1846540}}

{{gwi:1791829}}

Dining Room:

{{gwi:1846541}}

{{gwi:1842734}}

{{gwi:1842735}}

So far, I've tied in the living room accent wall to the granite top on the dining room buffet; both the entry floor and fireplace surround are travertine and all fixtures are with a bronze finish. As you can see, both rooms face the street so having window treatments that fully close is very important.

Living room: As we have a separate family room, this room will mostly be used for entertaining so seating for conversation is very impt. I'm thinking of grouping seating around the fireplace--a sofa on one side, then two armchairs (with patterned fabric) on the other with a coffee table in between and a small table between the two arm chairs. This would leave wall space for the piano (is this the best spot?) and a curio cabinet as well as the Christmas tree. Am I on the right track or would you suggest something else? Need suggestions for colors for sofa and how to combine with the arm chairs. Living room accent wall looks more like the first picture than the second. Area rug? We put in accent lighting to point at the wall over the mantel so this would be a focal point for an art work. I will probably do this later and take our time to choose a nice piece. We can always so some temporary candles, greenery to dress it up for the holidays.

Dining room: Basically this will be a new table/chairs. I'm thinking something in a dark wood so as to provide a contrast with the white buffet. Also will put a area rug below the dining set, but am confused what size. I'd like it large enough where the chairs stay on carpet when puchsed in/out since I don't like the chairs scraping on the hardwood floor. Is there a rule of thumb on this?

Window treatments: This is the area that I am the most stumped since the living room window in particular is very wide. Wuold it better to choose window treatments or sofa/chairs first? I would like to do identical treatments in both rooms and something formal at the same time contemporary. I am thinking something like a bronze/gold silk that would act as more of a neutral backdrop and bring in splashes of color via pillows, paint, accessories. Pinch pleat is not my favorite style, but idt does seem most practical for wide windows where the drapes open/close daily. I was wondering perhaps getting a valance to hide the pleats, though I do in general like the more contemporary styles with the back-tabs; however, am concerned both to see the big wide rod spanning the entire width when the drapes are open and the ease of opening/closing. Before we had sheers under the drapes and it did provide additional privacy during the daytime. Not sure I'd like it in the bay window where I want to be able to display collectables on the window seat so will probably skip for living room to maintain the flow between rooms. We are on a budget since this is the tail end of a remodel at the same time I would like it to be good quality. I am debating if it'd be worthwhile to have JC Penney come in for custom window treatments since they have the 60% off sale going on.

Comments (6)

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What style are you going for? Transitional, Traditional, etc.

I think you have a good start with the wall colors. I would select an area rug next and then work around that for additional colors and textures. The store you purchase the rugs from will be able to help you with sizes. They should know the average size needed for the table and chairs. How do you feel about a solid area rug with some texture in one of the rooms which would play off one of the colors in the patterned area rug you select? The floors are gorgeous. I would hate to see you cover up too much of them.

Love, Love, Love dark furniture for the dining room but not matchy matchy.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jerseygirl: I guess you could stay my style is more transitional-borderline traditional for these rooms. Nothing too ornate or fussy though. Clean and classic. The floors are brand new rift and quartersawn oak--throughout the whole house so it's OK to cover them up a bit. I am mostly thinking of an area rug for the dining room--both because I'd like to protect the floors from the dining chairs (I do use the felt protectors, but I like the look of a oriental style rug below). I never thought of choosing the rug first, but makes sense esp if I am thinking a solid for the drapes; but then I guess I'd get the table first so I know the size. Hmmm. The windows have been naked for about 4 mos now since we moved back so guess they can remain naked a bit longer since I do want it to go with the furniture.

Below is a link of a the type/colors of rug I was thinking of. It has the moss green that is in both my granite and a similar to the accent wall. It also looks like it has some gold/bronze like I am evisioning for the drapes, plus the burgundy. I like it that it is dark and won't show the dirt so much since I do have 3 kids. I am leaning towards the larger 8x11 size, though it will then cover the majority of the dining room floor which measures approx. 11x14 (to buffet). With the 5x8 size, I am worried that when someone pushes back the chairs it will go off the edge of the rug and then get caught up in the chair legs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Possible rug for dining

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

Now I understand where you are headed. My suggestions will not be matchy matchy and are pretty eclectic in nature. So, hopefully you will get some ideas you may not have thought about.

Let's start with the DR.

Drapes: I like dramatic so, if the rug has bronze that would be my first choice though there is nothing wrong with gold. I like plain simple drapes. I think drapes like blacksplashes should not be a focal point of a room when you have other beautiful things going. They should help frame the room like the color on the walls do. You may not need pinch pleated drapes. It would save you money not to have the pinch pleats. You need to decide if you want to run them from ceiling to floor or with a rod (I saw some beautiful rods at Calico Corner's. I think JCP carries Kirsch hardware also) above the window not from the ceiling.

Dining table: I notice most people select wood to use with oriental rugs. I am working with a designer for my family room and breakfast nook and he just taught me a good lesson: Print rug-glass table, solid rug-wood table.
    He said you want to show off the beauty of the rug at all times from every direction. They do make some very large glass tables that you can use with 2 wooden pedestals for support or a great square base. If you are having a lot of guests for dinner like Christmas than you can add a folding table and use the same table cloth. This is just a suggestion. You can use wood but I always like to share new knowledge when I learn something. I still like crystal for chandeliers in dining rooms. In this case I would use crystal with some funky lamp shades to add a little fun into the room. You may find these at Home Goods or on line. I would try leopard for shades. It's hard to visualize if this will work without actually seeing it in person. Maybe someone will photoshop.

Do you know the size of the table you want to use?

I also think you may be able to find dining room chairs on ebay or a used furniture store that might be in decent condition or you can buy them new. Remember the chair wood does not need to match the wood of the table. There is more interest created when they don't.

Here is another idea for chairs: you can used entirely different ones for the head of the table.

Actually, I am pretty good at decorating eclectically. My friends are always looking for my eye. The designer I am working with always says to me "what do you need me for". Well, he is a great buffer between me and my BF whom I share my new home with. He has made my life so much more easier and is worth every penny. I am also learning alot about decorating from him.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jersey girl: Thank you for all the suggestions. I like your ideas for the window treatments. I am thinking bronze silk--either pinch pleat hidden under a boxed valance that has a two-tone look (bronze/cream(which looks quite $$ and may be a heavier look than I am planning) or with hooks hanging from a rod. If I go the two-toned valance I was thinking of pairing it with a cream colored sofa with colorful cushions. I already bought bronze rods months ago on sale at JCP, but I can exchange if I like. I made an appt today with JCP custom draperies, but it will take 6-8 weeks for installation and could not get appt before Nov. 1, so may try to go with made-to-order.

I would really prefer a wooden dining table--like a dark cherry; though I can see the point about not seeing the rug. Hmmmmm. The dining table needs to be large enough to seat 6-10 people as that's the only time we'll use this room--for entertaining, but don't want anything too bulky. Just put in the dining fixture so that stays. I was debating about using the mni lamp shades, but went for a more understated look; though I've has a few second thoughts; nevertheless, it's new and it's there so for now at least it stays in favor of putting in some furniture which is sorely needed.

More suggestions welcome! Esp. about the living room seating area.

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

On your link to the rug - it shows the Lascala silk drapes. I like those very much with the adjustible cornice. You could paint the cornice black or just dry brush some black glaze to knock down the gold look of it. They are very reasonably priced and would look very nice. I am a symmetry gal, so I think it would look nice for both rooms to have the same treatment.

I would stay more neutral/clean lined in your upholstery. I can't really tell what your accent wall color is. I would stay creamy/tannish for upholstery - smaller styled sofa - not with 3 seat cushions. I could also see 2 really cool - funky small benches in front of the fireplace. You could move these around for additional seating. cool funky pillows to go on your neutral upholstery that you can change when you want!! A rug with touches of black in it. I don't know why but I see shiny, reflective accessories in your living room. Tuesday morning has a big collection of mercury glass.

Your rooms are very pretty and will be fun to decorate.
    Smiles:)

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

I really like boxed valances because it is a clean look. Another option: 2 tone look when you add the second tone to the drape in the form of 2 strips sewn on to the drape itself. You would not need a valance. This would be a custom option unless you find someone who can sew stripes on premade drapes.

I agree with neutral sofa maybe a chenille or something with a timeless texture to it. I really like the look of 2 sofas on either side of the fireplace. Looks like you have enough room. Coffee table in the middle. A tapestry material a accent chair and maybe neutral for other chairs in a diffent texture than the other furnishings. Funky pillows.

I go either way with symetry vs assymetrical. In my life I am mostly assymetrical though I can lean symetrical when forced to.

In my family room I will have 2 art deco chairs with ottomans on either side of the fireplace. When the designer suggested that I was like, how can I do that it's so symetrical. I even bowed to 2 nightstands the same in the MBR (that's because I did not have the time to look for 2 different ones). Sometimes I think I am looony with this decorating stuff.