Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denifitz

Where do you buy your wall decor?

denifitz
13 years ago

I've been hunting around for decent, but not too expensive wall decor - both framed prints and others. I've looked at Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, Home Decorators, JCPenney's, Macy's and Ballard Designs as well as places like Art.com. I was wondering if there are good retailers out there that I am missing. Where have you had good luck?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (34)

• msrose
    13 years ago

Well I can't say I've had good luck, because I still haven't found anything, but you may want to check Overtstock, Kohls, and Kirklands. I've even looked at Target.

Laurie

• denifitz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks msrose, and sorry to hear you haven't found what you are looking for yet. My fingers are crossed for you!

• hilltop_gw
    13 years ago

I've had good luck with Overstock and also ZGallerie. Both have excellent websites. Zgallerie has a section called art for under $100

• missmary - 6b/Central Maryland
    13 years ago

Far and away the place that has the largest selection of wall decoration - framed prints, mirrors, metal work, etc. - is HomeGoods. Do you have them in your area? Big selection! Buy the pieces you like when you see them, b/c once they're gone, they're gone. Their stock is ever changing.

Miss Mary

• denifitz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hilltop - Never heard of zgallerie. Thank you!

missmary- There is one not too far from me. I haven't been there in a while but I found some nice lamps there a few years ago. I will check it out again!

• caryscott
    13 years ago

No too sure what wall decor costs but you can check out artist's studio tours, printmaking co-operatives, local art schools as well as on-line auction houses to get reasonably priced fine art. Vintage movie posters or lobby cards can also be purchased quite economically on-line.

• debbie_2008
    13 years ago

Zgallerie and Home Goods. I love them both

you can check zgallerie online.

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

Goodwill. Seriously. I've found stuff from PB and nice retailers there for pennies on the dollar. And art...Oh my gosh...incredible stuff. And you can find frames to reframe things, too.

I also haunt vintage stores and consignment stores. I rarely buy anything that is current in a retail establishment as it tends to cycle so quickly, and I like one-of-a-kind much better.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

I'm in total agreement with Pesky. Plus, you may want to look in antique shops I've gotten some wonderful art in out of the way shops for cheap. I'm talking oil portraits on canvas and one done in chalk already framed.

And there is a lot to be said for "The Hunt" it's a great experience. And then your not filling your wall with stuff you just run out and buy, just for the sake.

....Jane

• avesmor
    13 years ago

99.99% of my framed prints are from Home Goods or Marshall's. It's serendipity -- usually when I go, it's for something else, and I just happen to see the exact same thing I've been considering purchasing online. Not to mention I buy the framed print for less than just the frame... and usually less than just the print!

I have bought two prints online, one framed and one unframed... they were simply must-haves and I knew I would not find them ready-to-go (artists too obscure and not in the decorative art genre).

I don't hang a lot of mirrors, but those I have are from Hobby Lobby when wall decor is 50% off or Pottery Barn (mmm the PB pub mirror from about 10 years ago... if only I could find a place for it in the new house). I've found three I had to have over the years.

More structural wall decor (metal sculpture type things) have come from either Gordman's or Pier 1.

I have also made some of my wall decor. I buy plaques and other wall hangings when Hobby Lobby has their 80% and 90% off sales, and paint over them (because at that price they're cheaper than even DIY canvas, already have frames/support, hangers, etc.) or cover over them with scrapbooking paper, photos, art I've created digitally and printed out, whatever.

I also have a small collection of handmade suns that I've picked up from various places - mostly ebay, since such items are sparse in my area.

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

Browse around Etsy.com

Also, Crate and Barrel sometimes has interesting stuff.

• dirtymartini
    13 years ago

I drool over the stuff on horchow.com. Pretty pricey, though.

I love love love Homegoods!

• nicole__
    13 years ago

I mentioned this on another thread, I don't want to be redundant...but...homes that are staged for sale as models or parade homes sell everything when they're done with it. You get decorator pieces for almost nothing!

• mjsee
    13 years ago

I've been pretty lucky with ebay...

• fluffybutt
    13 years ago

I have found a lot of good things at Ross and believe it or not, Big Lots actually has some nice art too. I bought a painting that I just love at Big Lots recently. The frame looks cheap and I'm going to redo that, but it was only $12 and looks expensive. Garden Ridge has a lot of wall art too.

• DL Herron
    13 years ago

i will second the poster for big lots.
    and
    marshalls
    ross
    ebay
    goodwill
    yard sales
    estate sales

also, think out of the box. think 3-d.
    wall decor doesn't have to be something framed.
    a friend took an old headboard. iron with scrollies.
    cut off the scrollies and attached the scrollies to wood that she had sanded and painted. sounds weird, looks fantastic!
    my craig list list has a whole page of expensive tapestries for very little money.
    not very deep wood cubes attached to the wall with a small decor piece in each cube opening.

• jlj48
    13 years ago

Big Lots, TJ Max, and personal/sentimental art or photos reframed.

• jlj48
    13 years ago

almost forgot - my kids make the best art! Matte it and frame it and it looks like a master piece!

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    13 years ago

Art fairs. The best way to get something that has not been mass-produced to fit some style that may or may not fit with your own style. Many painters and all photographers will have inexpensive prints, framed or unframed. Go to Artfaircalendar.com and look up your state to see what's coming up. I have nothing to do with that site: just am an artist myself, though not a painter: and hate to have people overlook art fairs as a resource for their homes, through just not being aware that they exist.

• Penelope
    13 years ago

Nicole wrote "I mentioned this on another thread, I don't want to be redundant...but...homes that are staged for sale as models or parade homes sell everything when they're done with it. You get decorator pieces for almost nothing!"

Nicole, where do you find announcements for these sales? Are they thru the brokers of the development where the model is, or somewhere else?

• denifitz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for all of the responses!! I'm sure I'll find something eventually. I think part of the problem is I don't know exactly what I am looking for.

I have the same question for Nicole - I've never seen model home decor sales around where i live. It's intriguing but I don't know where to look.

• tamdave123
    13 years ago

I have a couple of nice wall pieces from Crate and Barrel. I love that store.

• cyndyw
    13 years ago

Try BrooklynPrints, I got a nice framed black and white picture of a boy sledding down a hill for my son's room from them. They are more expensive than Target or allposters, but the quality is worth it. The frame is wood, all hand made, I was pleased with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: BrooklynPrints

• User
    13 years ago

I buy alot from Bombay. I also like HomeSense, great prices too.

• rockmanor
    13 years ago

I've used AllPosters and Art.com for some Audubon and Winslow Homer prints. TerraPrints has some amazing maps. Mostly, though, I poke around antique and consignment stores.

As for HomeGoods, I made my first wall decor purchase there last week. It was a pair of small canvas prints, made in Canada, of birds. I thought they might give a somewhat more contemporary feeling by our fireplace and was pretty pleased with how they looked, until last night. Dh & I were watching "Real Estate Intervention" (recorded) and the stager used these same canvas prints. Ack! It may sound awfully shallow, but the prints came down immediately. Whatever charm they'd held for me was gone.

• msrose
    13 years ago

I just discovered that LampsPlus online sells pictures, so that's another one to check out.

Laurie

• User
    13 years ago

Tuesday morning usually has a good selection and often they are a little nicer and a little different than at some of the stores mentioned.
    Many of them have real wood frames.

• tfm1134
    13 years ago

HomeGoods seems to be lucky for me.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

I concur on something like a local gallery crawl.

Habitat Re-store?

• whenicit
    13 years ago

Try zatista.com or novica.com for unique and creative pieces.

• Sidney4
    13 years ago

avesmor, any chance you would share pics of some of your original creations? I've wanted to do something like that for a long time but have just not had the nerve.

• Boopadaboo
    13 years ago

Funny you should ask. I was just browsing on ebay this moment and trying to decide on this paintng for my mantle..

I think I love it, but cant' decide if the price is right. And it is a departure from the norm for me.

I also go to local auctions. I have gotten lots of great stuff at the auctions.

• denifitz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. Many places have been mentioned that I'd never heard of!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

I've found all my oil paintings, watercolors and drawings at antique stores of various types, other than the ones my husband has done. The real thing is just so much more vibrant and wonderful than prints, and it's one of a kind and unique to your home.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH