Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rilie_gw

Area rug suggestions for Dining room

rilie
13 years ago

Hi there - I recently painted my dining room Behr's "Chocolate Curl" above 36" white raised panel moulding. I absolutely love the color, but I'm having a hard time finding a coordinating area rug. I've seen lots that I think would 'likely' work well, but I've been a bit paralized in making the choice. I'm never 100% sure, keep thinking I might see something better, etc., etc.

My furniture is fairly dark (table with 6 chairs, small-ish hutch and sideboard), although the white moulding brightens the room significantly. I also don't want to spend a huge amount of money because I have two large dogs that are hard on them - they shed, sometimes dash into the house with dirty paws, chew treats while relaxing on the rug, etc.

So, based on all of that, do any of you have a rug suggestion that might work?? Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Chocolate Curl at colorcharts.org

Comments (14)

• yborgal
    13 years ago

You didn't say what other colors you're using as accents, but this rug might work. I think it could withstand anything your dogs would bring in and not show dirt.

Here is a link that might be useful: rug

• lala girl
    13 years ago

Would you be open to seagrass? It is very neutral, would bring in great texture and stand up to the dogs. Plus, it goes with everything, so if you repaint in a few years, the rug would likely still work.

• rilie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you ladies. I am not opposed to seagrass, but I don't think it will be my choice for this room. And Mona, to answer your question... there really are no other colors in the room yet. I'm just starting to put it all together, and was planning to look to the rug for color inspiration. The rug you posted is beautiful, thank you, but maybe a bit too much rust/chocolate/burgundy tones?? Anyway, here is one I love, it's the one I keep going back to. What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: JC Penney - Pakhet rug

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

rilie, the JCP rug you posted is very similar to the one I have been craving. Maybe too much chocolate though?

Here is a link that might be useful: Jewel rug

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

FWIW, I have a rug that is similar to Monablair's suggestion. 100% polypropalene is the way to go for rugs and dogs.

We have had our rug about 12 years, and still looks like the day we bought it. Because the fibers are non-porous, they don't absorb stains or spills, and seem to not absorb the "dog funky " smell that lingers on the wool area rugs that I have.

• makeithome
    13 years ago

Rilie - the pahket rug is beautiful! however, I agree it might be too much brown with the walls.

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

The rug you chose is very pretty, but did you notice it's tufted? Not a good choice for an area where dogs will be grooming themselves, chewing bones, shedding. You think you have an attachment to your vacuum cleaner now? I agree with a poly rug, or an indoor/outdoor rug. They make some gorgeous ones now.
    Dee

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

I have Nourison Nourmak flat weave rugs in my living room and family room -- our two dogs' favorite spots for napping, bone-chewing, and throwing up. They hold up to everything! I don't know what your style is -- they're fairly casual -- but could be an option. You can see what they look like at the Nourison web site or Decora rug web site, but then search for 'Nourison' at Overstock because I noticed that they have a few.

• les917
    13 years ago

I know you said you hadnâÂÂt decided on another color, but I wonder if you would consider this blue rug. The brown in the flowers seems very much like the brown of your wall color - there is a lot of orange in both of them, which works well with the blue. And I think this would be a nice way to show off the darker table and chairs, but still work with the white raised panel moulding on the walls.

JC Penney, cavalier, blue

• bustersmom_2007
    13 years ago

I have a brown accent wall in my family room and bought the Potter Barn Skylar rug. It's wool, thick and very nice. Has a dark sage background with some brown, gold and reddish-rust accents...really nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Family Room

• rilie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wanted to briefly come back to this and say thanks again for the thoughts & suggestions you all provided. In the end, I finally ordered the Pakhet rug from JC Penney. I really, really fell in love with it & it was the one I kept going back to... so I finally reasoned myself into ordering it... as in, it could be used in the bedroom if I don't like it in the dining room, etc., etc.

Anyway.... it's in place and I love it more than ever. It's a big larger then I envisioned but I don't think that's a problem, I like how it looks. And so far (yippee) the dogs haven't been a problem - I realize now how littel time they spend in the dining room. The living room rug takes MUCH more abuse from them, which is good to keep in mind for future purchases.

So thanks again, I'm very happy with the whole experience. This was my first order from JC Penney (I'm in Canada and no JC Penney here), and because I was able to find an online coupon code I got an excellent deal. It's all good. :)

The problem now is that I also really, really love the rug Les posted and am trying to figure out where I can use that one..... ;)

• red_eared_slider86
    13 years ago

@ monablair -- Thanks for that link. Maybe it didn't work for Rilie, but it is exactly what I am looking for!

• makeithome
    13 years ago

Rilie... do you have pics of the rug in your room? I have been eying that rug myself and I would love to see what it looks like IRL.

Glad you found something you love!

• rilie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not yet makeithome, my camera is MIA right now, but I'm hosting a little Christmas gathering next week... so I'm sure I'll get some photos then & will try to add to this post.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida