Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigjim24

BS heros - choice help please! Pics included.

bigjim24
12 years ago

I am starting a total kitchen reno in a few weeks. Thanks to you all, the decisions made so far (the lurking thing:)has been more informed and less painful. I'm having BS issues. Open to any suggestions. Attached are a few ideas kicked around but not making me say "Yikes! I Love That!" I've also included the drawings for the new design. Thanks Kansas Kathy for the rain forest brown idea.

Cabinets: Starmark Farmington - qtr sawn oak - nutmeg finish

Stainless Bosch appliances

Soapstone countertops - Dorado Anasazi

Kraus farmhouse sink

Sage paint

Garden window over sink

Lighting Celtic Knots (blue/green/amber stained glass will also be cab inserts)

Design Pics

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Cabinets

{{!gwi}}

Soapstone

{{!gwi}}

Lighting Celtic Knots (stained glass also cabinet inserts)

BS Ideas

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Kansas Kathy's Kitchen

{{!gwi}}

Comments (23)

• ellendi
    12 years ago

Love the idea of the green tones. Not sure if I like what you have picked. Have you seen it in a backsplash? My vote would be simple solid green toned tile. What are these tiles made of? They look ike slate. What are you doingfor the floor?

• bigjim24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm not sure I like it either. That's why I need you all. I should have said I am NOT a shopper. I have not seen it in a backsplash. The tiles are slate. The floor is natural oak hardwood. I keep taking samples home and rejecting. What material would the green toned tile be? Can you point me in a direction?

• harrimann
    12 years ago

I think a handmade white ceramic tile in a matte finish, grouted with white would look nice.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

IMHO if soapstone is in a kitchen it is always, always, always the star. That backsplash is way too much. A simple subway will be best. Check remodelfa post which should be below yours, she has soapstone and used a simple glass subway tile which looks good.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

I agree, a ceramic tile (I love the Grazia Rixi)but there are so many others. Glass might be an option as stated above. Depends on where you live. Anne Sacks is a well known tile store in CT. Start going to tile showrooms with your door and sample of your soapstone. Look at the Finished Kitchen Blog. There are probably kitchen listed with soap stone. Also, the backsplash slide show.
    As stated, your soap stone will be the star, but you are also going to get stained glass inserts so you will have the bling!

• kitchenaddict
    12 years ago

hi celtin...

did you see holligator's backsplash today? I think it's very classy...Is this a look that appeals to you or do you want something different?

KA:)

Here is a link that might be useful: holligator's thread with backsplash/soapstone

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

How about a simple glazed ceramic with a few of something like this thrown in?

• bigjim24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OMG! remodelfla I wanted to do that with the trim, but they said it was too busy. Where can I find that?

mcmjilly, will the white grout in back of the cooktop be difficult to keep clean? I've read some posts here that said it was not a good choice.

kitchenaddict, I did see that today. I liked it but perhaps too linear, being the left handed gal I am.

ellendi, been to tile stores...I'll check out Sacks. Thanks!

You're the best.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I agree, I would reel it way in for the backsplash because of the veining in the granite and the stained glass.

What about a LARGE format glass tile like this Ann Sacks in 12" x 24"

or also look at AS Lake Garda Floor

Here is a link that might be useful: Ann Sacks Crystal Glass

• bigjim24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

palimpsest - Thanks for that link. It looks shiny which is the reason I did not go with granite. I'll look more into this site. I think I want understated and let my foodie skills shine.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I think the one I posted was by a company I found googling called Earth Song:
    http://www.earthsongtiles.com/celtic_tiles.html

But then I also found some ebay ones linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay link

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

The Cryatal Glass comes in Matte, just click on Colors and Finishes tab.

The Lake Garda Floor is Matte.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

any whitish glass will be good.

White glass has a bit of green-grey in it once installed.
    This highlights your soapstone counter.

You need lots of countertop light under the wall cabinets.
    This is the missing element.
    Think of Light and Counter.
    Do not think of the backsplash as one more beautiful thing to attract attention.
    Think of it as the most understated of all.
    Then, it will serve its purpose well.

• bigjim24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks!

remodelfla, I love the earth song site

palimpsest, it's difficult to see online - I will try to order a sample

david, I had not thought of the backsplash in terms of needing to be understated. Thanks for the new perspective.

On a side note the Kraus farmhouse sink arrived today & cabinets were delivered to the distributor:) Did the yippee dance!!

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I know this may be too busy but I think the colors are so perfect in your kitchen. Just thought of you when I saw this:
    {{!gwi}}

• bigjim24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for thinking of me remodel :) After reading your responses (thanks a bunch all for helping me NOT make a huge mistake)I have drastically altered my plan. What do you think of stainless bs behind cooktop only. And subway tiles (crackled matte I think).

{{!gwi}}

And something like this from redwood's post

We can't find that one because it's discontinued but Emser has one that's similar.
    {{!gwi}}

Or go with a white/cream??? Like the JC irish ice
    {{!gwi}}

Or?

I'm thinking of a BM light sagey wall color, but that's another post. I hope I am going in the right direction this time. Looking forward to your feedback!

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Is that last one Grazia Rixi Agata? whatever it is... I Love it.

• ncamy
    12 years ago

Remodelfla, What is the blue and green tile you just posted?

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I think you are heading in a much better direction now. I agree with the understated comment and think that at least 9 times out of 10, less is more in the splash. However, I did want to encourage you to not be afraid of a shiny surface on the backsplash. It's okay to have some shine or sparkle in a kitchen. In fact, I think it can add understated interest when you use a mix of polished, brushed and matte surfaces, and one of the places I most like a polished surface is under wall cabinets to reflect the light. I didn't want shiny granite counters either, but I did glossy white subways to reflect light under the upper cabinets.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I like most recent pix, but the last one least for paired with your materials.
    I think the ss backsplash for the stove would be nice and functional while the green or other white/cream tiles would be a good complement.

• ptamom
    12 years ago

Found this on another post. It could be lovely.

Here is a link that might be useful: celtic tile

• bigjim24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! In looking back I can't believe I wanted to do the stone. What the heck was I thinking? I have decided to go with the Jeffery Court Irish Ice in Cork.

lascatx, thanks for that feedback. It is shiny but when I put it against the honed SS it provided enough contrast without being too busy. It's hard to see in the pic - but it's a crackle. I'm doing all subway size. Here's a pic...

ptamom - I love that. I looked at the Earth Song site as well. They have lots of great Celtic tiles. But Tile is permanent. And I was afraid. I'm not planning on selling but it would be very taste specific. I ended up tying in the Celtic knots in the lights with the knobs and pulls which are more easily replaced.

dianalo, I agree - when I got the green home and put it next to the SS, the kitchen looked sick. Very unappetizing for a kitchen look. Also, it did not match any of the colors in the stained glass inserts.

I'll have to post about grout next. Light or dark? Thanks again. And thanks for saving me from myself!

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I like the hardware you picked. I'd probably start by looking at grey grout (lighter grey), but you will have to balance the undertones in your tile with those of the veins in your soapstone. Find one that works with both.