Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
latimore_gw

Farrow & Ball paint - color match possible?

latimore
14 years ago

Wondering if anyone has had luck with color matching Farrow & Ball paint colors.

I searched a little online to find photos of Vert de Terre in a room and found many comments that it was impossible to color match F&B paints - especially from the free swatchcard (which is what I have).

Is this true?

Also - I haven't seen the "real" paint so I have no frame of reference for what it "should" look like. I just like the color on the chip...

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• rebeccainchicago
    14 years ago

I've never tried matching them, but I *have* used several F&B paints (Orangerie, Card Room Green, and Ringwold Ground) and was thrilled with the results. They sell little sample pots, by the way.

I think I considered Vert de Terre at one point, but then discovered Card Room Green, which I adore.

• barthelemy
    14 years ago

I cannot help you regarding the color matching, but if I were you, I would order a sample pot first, or at least the color chart (not the free one, the one with the larger color cards).

I have used several F&B colors and most of the colors really do not look the same on the free color card and in real life. It is not that the color card is not accurate, it is that the colors look different on a larger surface.

• budge1
    14 years ago

I think you could possibly match the colour swatch if that is what you want. What is not possible to match is the actual paint. What makes farrow and ball special is how it changes in the light and just has a depth and richness of colour that you can't get with other paints. If you are happy with regular paints and just like the colour, I'm sure another manufacturer could match it for you, but if you want a spectacular paint then get the real deal. But I would recommend ordering the sample pot which you can do online (and then you get that cute little can).

If you are worried about cost, I just got a gallon of Ben moore Aura paint that cost $10 more than the gallon of F&B did even with shipping.

Angelina, I have a gallon of the cardroom green sitting on the floor of my bedroom just waiting until I have time to get it on the walls - I can hardly wait.

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

I have color matched and it was OK but not the same. But I am very fussy -- some people have matched without problem. Their paints have more pigments than others, which is the difference. You don't get exactly the optical color shifts (which may not matter to you). The main thing with F&B however, is texture, which no other paint gives. It is quite different.

Vert de Terre is a wonderful color. If you love it, go for it. But the free color card is printed so it won't exactly the same as the F&B anyway -- have them color match from the card. The actual fan deck is slightly different.

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

With them it's best to buy sample pots $6 first so you know what the color does because it changes in the light. You can call or order online. I call usually. 888 511 1121. Also, some paint stores carry their stuff -- depends on where you are -- might be useful to do a google search on that if you haven't already.

Here is a link that might be useful: F&B

• budge1
    14 years ago

Go to their website and there is a place where you can see who carries it in your area. In our area, it is a high end decor store, but they charge the same as online. If you go to their website you can order directly to your house and it comes Fedex (i think). You can choose what size container you need including sample pots. The estate emulsion is flat, the modern emulsion has a sheen.

Just a warning if you live somewhere that gets cold in winter, I've had paint come frozen and it is unusable. Better to order in summer if you can.

• andreanewengland
    14 years ago

I had my Sherwin Williams match up one of the dark reds for the beadboard in my powder room. The color was the only one that seemed just right with my Bradbury wallpaper above the beadboard. It came out great. No problem. I got a total matte finish paint. I'm sure F&B is great, but it wasn't worth the effort to me. I love my S-W dealer and it worked out fine.

If you like the color on the sample sheet, what's the problem with matching to that? It doesn't matter in that case if the sample doesn't precisely match the F&B color in their can.

• valeriebaker7862
    6 years ago

Benjamin Moore is able to match their colors.