Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joaniepoanie

Coverlet or Comforter

joaniepoanie
9 years ago

i currently have a king coverlet on our bed. I need to replace it but as yet have not found a coverlet I like. I did find a comforter, but am afraid it will be too heavy and unwieldy.

This started out as replacing the bold drapes, shams and bed skirt I made but don't like against the pale walls. After searching for new fabric for months with no luck I decided it might be easier to get a patterened bed cover and go with plain drapes.

I'm just not sure about the manageability of a king comforter. I do like the "thin-ness of the coverlet. What are your experiences and advice....thanks!

Comments (9)

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

I have 2 quilts. We use just 1 in the summer. The second one joined us 2 weeks ago. When the real cold comes we have a comforter with a duvet cover. It is filled with silk and very light and very warm.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

For looks or for sleeping under? If for sleeping, depends a lot on personal preference.

Down comforters, with or without a duvet cover, are fairly manageable. The king size linen quilted coverlet I bought from Restoration Hardware is very heavy and unmanageable to me since it won't fit in my washer.

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess I should have been more clear.....more in terms of making the bed....is it a pain trying pull it up and move it around... a comforter being bulkier and sticking out on the sides, etc. I don't care for comforters and duvet covers....they always look lumpy and messy to me.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I think a comforter might be easier to make the bed. Seems like they just slide into place where a coverlet drags a bit. The cons of a coverlet, at least a solid color one, is that they show every dent and wrinkle under them, where a comforter covers all that.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I have a quilted coverlet. I don't like comforters or duvet covers at all. It takes me no time at all to make the bed in the morning. I use a single coverlet all year because I sleep hot.

• bergiesgirl
    9 years ago

I will never buy a comforter again, but it's purely vanity I think layering the bed is much prettier with a comforter. My coverlet is plenty warm, but I live in TX. You can always layer a blanket.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

We'll probably never have a comforter or a duvet cover again because DH absolutely hates them. While our master bath was being remodeled last year we slept in one of our spare BRs with a comforter. It was really for 'show' folded at the end of the bed with a matelasse coverlet over the bed. He hated dealing with that comforter every day and frankly so did I. We use a blanket only (seasonal) and a decorative coverlet which we fold back at night. Easy peasy, and he's usually the one making the bed.

• camlan
    9 years ago

I always thought a coverlet referred to the size of the cover--a coverlet is like a bedspread, but not as long on the sides, so it doesn't reach the floor and a bedskirt would show beneath it. But they could be made out of anything--could be chenille, or quilted or a simple piece of fabric.

If you don't need the warmth of a comforter, then I'd look for a coverlet or bedspread that you like.

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

I have a custom made comforter that is fitted to our bed at the foot and has extra yardage at the top for a pillow tuck. Love it.