Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
syllabus

Fireplace ideas: where to find?

syllabus
13 years ago

I've googled and found some, but can't seem to figure out if there is this catagory in the gallery here since nothing comes of plugging in "fireplaces".

Anyway - we're doing a DYI of our family room and I've taken down the original 1964 off-center-on-the-brick-wall-to-the-fire-box mantle slab. DH is game to build me a true surround with mantle - if I can show him a pic of exactly what I want. LOL! I've been wanting to do this for 20 years, and now that the moment is here - I'm drawing blanks on what to do!

Is there a dedicated gallery for fireplaces? If so, how do I get there? Does anyone have a favorite site with lots of ideas? Layla at the Lettered Cottage has quite of few - but I'd like to look at a lot more.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• Penelope
    13 years ago

Did you just do a google image search? Tons of pictures show up. But I understand your frustration, a friend went through that ordering a new mantel and took months and months to decide what she wanted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google image search

• syllabus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, I started by google image searches. Then went/linked to cabinetmaker and woodworker sites (nice stuff!). BH&G had a few before and afters that were really good.

Just wondering if anyone else has done a like search, and if they found a mother-load of pics. Now I'm trolling thru years of saved pics in (non digitized) home idea folders. Funny that I never saved a folder for fireplaces - so they are scattered thru lots of different folders for other stuff.

I want simple - so I can add going thru all my saved Country Home (sob!) and Country Living mags too.

• ljwrar
    13 years ago

I live in a 1930's style home very specific to San Francisco. When I was looking for ideas for my fireplace, I looked at photos on the MLS listings. Got a ton of ideas, just haven't done anything yet.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

try houzz.com I searched for fireplaces under "photos", see if this link works

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz

• syllabus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just realized that I owe a thank you to those who replied!

Beekeeperswife: Houzz was a wonderful source as there were thousands to look through! After searching and talking about our options for weeks... we discovered that building codes for our area nixed many of our ideas. Sighhh.

Thanks for pointing me to that site!

So we designed on the fly, adjusted and adapted as we constructed, and ended up building something that we are very happy with and will meet all codes.

• ladyamity
    13 years ago

For OP and anyone else who might be looking for inspiration photos of home decor.......When GW is having a slow day and I am in need of inspiration, I go to the photo hosting sites.
    WebShots and PhotoBucket are my two favs.

I wish I could figure out how to link more than one site but it takes me forever to figure it out/remember/apply it so just take one of these links below, copy/paste it to your search box at the top of your screen, and it should take you to the first page of photos.

There are 11,808 photos of fireplaces here at WebShots
    (I'm sure maybe only half, maybe less, will be what you are looking for but who knows...you might just find some great inspiration!):

http://www.webshots.com/search?query=fireplace&source=chromeheader&queryChannel=home-and-garden+
    ---------------

When I 'searched' on Photobucket for "New Fireplace" I got
    2,217 hits.
    Again, not all of them are what you are looking for but who knows....inspiration comes from all sorts of places:

http://photobucket.com/images/new%20fireplace/

• gwbr54
    13 years ago

And from the gallery side of this forum

Here is a link that might be useful: fireplace gallery

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Before we built a FP I just typed in "Pictures of fireplace's" and got a boatload of pictures.

• jey_l
    13 years ago

Do you have pictures?

Google is as lame now as it has ever been. You get two pages of Google advertisers in flash format and that's it. What do you want? What do you have now?

• redecor8
    13 years ago

syllabus, have you posted the pics of your new surround yet? I would love to see it!