Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

Updated vs non-updated house

nosoccermom
9 years ago

So, here's my experience: Stopped by this open house and chatted with the realtor, who also works with a contractor.

Updated House

The house sold within 2 months at slightly above asking price. They renovated the bathrooms, painted, staged. The house had the old cedar shingle roof (to be replaced within the next 2-3 years), old single pane windows, old furnace. The kitchen had been updated previously; they added the backsplash; new hard wood floors. Overall, it was kind of a crappy renovation when you looked more closely.
The realtor said that they spent about 35K and expect a return of 60K+. He said that people are busy, they want move-in ready, and that nobody seems to care about the not-so-obvious things like windows, furnace, doors, etc.

Compare this to:
Comp 1

Comp 2
and
Comp 3

They are all in the same community within a few streets.

Comments (17)

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Redfin won't let you see pics unless you sign up. :(

It does surprise me that people are not concerned with major items, like HVAC, single-pane windows, etc. Those are big ticket items. I'm always looking at those things.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I think most young buyers these days are more concerned with form of function. Back when I bought my first house, we were more concerned with the bones of the house than the paint colors.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Redfin won't let you see pics unless you sign up. :( "

Are you sure? I logged out and still can see the pictures. Bummer!

I was surprised, too, but agree that many people just go for looks. Also, it's less disruptive and involves less work to replace a furnace and water heater than a bathroom or kitchen, so maybe that's the reasoning.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I can't see the pics either.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You're right.You may just have to sign up:)
    They are all very similar in size, 4 BR, 2.5 BA, style.
    The first, updated, house sold for 850K, the others for
    815K, 779K, and 765K, all within about 3 months.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Not familiar with this particular neighborhood in Bethesda, but do know of many neighborhoods there where even updated houses are being torn down. Small lots in most cases and large houses being built that take up almost the whole lot. It may not be that they don't care about windows, HVAC, etc., but that those are irrelevant if they are planning to tear down and rebuild. People just want the location!

• User
    9 years ago

I'm local, and I wonder if the pools were a factor - two of the "lower priced" houses have pools, which means upkeep and some degree of risk for parents of young kids. Plus they don't have big yards to begin with, and there's a big neighborhood swim team culture around here, so that may have been an issue in the differential as well as the updates.

Still, I think that price point is a really competitive one around here, and I know that my friends who have bought in Bethesda recently have also been lured by quickie-updates. The lighting is 35 years old brass horror show stuff and no one even asks about the HVAC or roof, but there's a cleanly tiled 3rd bathroom and that's all they need for the first few years.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    9 years ago

One realtor we talked to said that people w/ pets are more open to remodeling b/c they are used to mess... but people w/o won't be as into a house that needs to be remodeled.

There are just a lot of people who WILL NOT remodel a house even if it is a good deal. I would like to buy and redo fixer uppers to have the house the way I want in the end but my husband and dad both cannot stand houses that need major remodeling. Too much dust/dirt in the process, too much uncertainty about how it will come out.

Househunters and the like are a part of the problem. The buyers always want granite and perfect finishes, you never see them checking out the duct work or electrical panel.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

I've been to several open houses where I know for a fact the buyer never looked at the basement. One had massive water and foundation problems.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

What I am hearing is advertising is working. Young people are all about new and shiny, quality and value are words no longer used. These are no doubt the same people who will default on their loans and abandon ship when the first roof leak appears. What I would take away from this is for the savvy flipper there are plenty of homes out there ready to be picked up on the cheap, re-done quick and dirty and sold at a HUGE profit to brain dead young couples. Maybe it is a new world. Maybe location and price are not the tried and true indicators any more. Good luck with that world!!

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

This new home buyer is more reason for us to keep our homes updated while we live in them!! Why spend the money and WORK for someone else to enjoy. Look around--if you "always wanted_______" DO IT NOW!! Get your money AND the enjoyment out of it!! DH came home one day, making fun of his boss who was busy busy painting, re-carpeting for a high school graduation party. I told him NO WAY is wife making him do this for the party. This stuff NEEDED doing and the party is the straw to get him off his a$$ and open his pocket book for some much needed updates!!

• schicksal
    9 years ago

It's beginning to feel a lot like 2006 again :/

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Arcy: On another serious note, I took a chunk of money out of my 403b when the market was high some years ago and did much needed renovation. When the market went south in 2008, I was feeling quite pleased that I had a new roof, a new kitchen and a new family room--the banks would have eaten that money if I hadn't put it into the house!

• robin_DC
    9 years ago

The reality is that for most of the people in the buying pool for houses at that price range in Bethesda and other close-in DC suburbs, time is a more valuable commodity than money. At that price bracket, most potential buyers are 30-something professionals, many of whom are married with (or planning to have) kids. For many people in that demographic, it's worth it to spend more for a house that requires no work, because the tradeoff for a cheaper house with major projects is that you have to spend the time to plan a remodel, hire someone to execute it, then either live through it or move out (which takes even more time and planning).

When I bought my house 10 years ago, I was single, 30 years old, and worked at a law firm. I had the flexibility to extend my rental until some work could be done to my house, so I bought a house that needed cosmetic updates, and got a good price in a hot neighborhood where houses were selling for above asking within a few days. The prior owners 'totally 80s' choices were not appealing to buyers, and also did nothing to highlight the portion of the house that was the original structure from the early 1900s. Once I moved in, I never had time for the DIY projects I envisioned (such as gel staining the kitchen cabinets!), and the house felt like a 'work in progress' for a while.

Now I am married with a baby, and I still have a full time job. If I were house hunting now, a house that was 'move in ready' and required nothing more than paint and decorating, would be worth a lot of $$. Because the time and effort required for major renovations would be a tipping point in terms of stress and quality of life, which is hard to quantify in dollars.

And I say this as someone who has a decent 'eye' for imagining the potential a house has. In fact, I just recently moved back into my house, after moving out for the summer for a major remodel and addition (totally worth it, but totally exhausting and stressful and time-consuming). Many of my friends who are not into decorating and house stuff also have trouble even imagining the 'after' that a house could be, and overestimate how much it would cost (even at the inflated prices in this area) to make changes. So I think for the average buyer here, 'move in ready' is worth $$$$$, and a 'needs remodeling' house may not even be considered unless it's a tear down to build a mcmansion.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The 765K house has no pool, ditto the 850K house. The 815K house and the 779K house do. Lots are too small and they're part of an HOA subdivision, so tear down is not an option.

Some more pics. Perhaps more obvious since it's really only staging. In order of price from high to low. Note: I don't even know about windows, HVAc, roof of the three lower priced comps.

Dining/LR/family

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last one master BR and bath. You get the idea :)

Asking Price: 849.9K Sold: 850K Time: 1 month

Asking: 850K, then 830K Sold: 815K Time: 4 months

Asking: 865K, Sold: 779K Time: 3 months

Asking: 775K, Sold: 765K, Time: 1 month

• madeyna
    9 years ago

I think most people don,t care about quality . They really think new and shinny is quality. That being said though after having remodled our last three homes my husband says the next one had better be move in ready. He is up for flooring and paint and not much else.