Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twinsrus_gw

What color would you paint a room with this in it

twinsrus
16 years ago

Okay, I've posted about this before but didn't get many answers.

I'm redoing my twin 3 yr olds bedroom. I want the Henry quilt from Pottery barn. What color would you paint the walls? I'm open to painting horizontally also, except I'm not sure if that is a good idea since we have paneled walls, what do ya'll think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Henry quilt

Comments (27)

• clturner3
    16 years ago

I once had a bedroom with paneling in it. I lightly sanded it and spackled up the grooves. I then sanded over the grooves, primed with Kilz and painted as usual. The walls looked perfectly normal and didn't really require a ton of work. The comforter is really cute. The colors of the comforter are dark (reds, blues) so you could pick the color that is behind the superman logo and go with a gold/yellow. Good luck, I'm sure it will look great when it's done.

Here is a link that might be useful: Christy's Thrifty decorating

• momtotwins
    16 years ago

I was looking at the same quilt for my 3 yr old son. I was thinking that a beige or tan color would look nice. I am curious to see what others say!
    I have twin 2 yr old girls! Twins are so much fun!

• perky_2
    16 years ago

I am sure you'll get lots of great suggestions for paint - I just wanted to say I LOVE LOVE that bedding!

I love the blue with the bedding.

• mclarke
    16 years ago

I think the blue would be awfully dark... I think white would be great -- then you could put all kinds of Superman posters on the walls!

{{!gwi}}

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

Mclarke - you are the art researcher!! Cool poster!!

I agree with others...a lighter tan/beige. Then if you have any old furniture you could paint it red. Red accents, etc.

Cute quilt.
    Smiles:)

• User
    16 years ago

What a neat set for your boys. I'd paint it a light blue, a few shades lighter than the light blue in the quilt. Possibly one of the Laura Ashley's chambreys. Not as light as the light blue they have as the sky in the pix on PBK though. Good Luck!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    16 years ago

Light blue. Something that blends and works well with the root blues you have in the bedding.

• lmhall2000
    16 years ago

I'd definitely go with the tan/khaki color that matches the hay/dirt in the sheets...I think it would really bring out the pretty blues! :)
    Tara

• teacats
    16 years ago

Try a pale gold -- a light but warm color.

Check out Laura Ashley Gold #2 or #3; Sherwin Williams Ivoire or Blonde. Benjamin Moore's "Roasted Sesame Seed" (2160-40) OR their "Marblehead Gold (HC-11)

Then add lots of great colors in the accessories! Put up bulletin boards -- and then the kids can hang and switch things around ......

• western_pa_luann
    16 years ago

I like the blue they show it with!

• backsweat
    16 years ago

If your adverse to taking the plunge on a rich blue, I'd suggest a rich tan/khaki on 3 walls and a rich red on another. (probably the wall that the bed abuts) I wouldn't paint horizontal with the vertical lines in the paneling, but if you don't have a headboard for the bed, you could do highrise building silouttes on a plywood cutout and then paint it black or cover in black cloth. I'd also paint the cieling the tan/khaki or just one shade below and go with an industrial looking fan or light if you've got a box in the cieling. ie http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/k4131/index.cfm?pkey=clig%7Ck or fan in oil rubbed bronze (flush mount..so it doesnt take over the room) http://cgi.ebay.com/Minka-Concept-II-2-44-Bronze-Fan-Restoration-Hardware_W0QQitemZ180176504776QQihZ008QQcategoryZ20699QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I like the artwork post above in a black frame (like the buildings)and would look nice on the khaki or deep red wall.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I too would like to see you pull out the light blue on the walls that comes from the lighter stripe. BUT if you aren't willing to take that plunge, do the rach tan with red walls. Either would look gorgeous.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

A buff or wheat yellow color, of course.

• happy2bme
    16 years ago

Im with backsweat. I think another color other than blue would work great for contrast. I think any rich tan with an accent wall of red would be super. I like the idea of framing superman posters and poster with buildings would really play up the decor of the room.

• twinsrus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What great ideas!!! I guess I forgot to mention that I'm not doing the superman part of it just the quilt.
    I let the boys pick out their own sheets and one picked the pottery barn fire trucks and the other picked the company kids dump trucks. Both will look good with the quilt.
    I'm not really doing a "theme" room they love to see pictures of themselves so I've got 5x7's of them with things they loved like their Halloween costumes they were so proud of, the huge fish they caught at grandpa's pond, a giraffe at the zoo (their favorite animal) of them on their 1st vacation to the beach, the fire truck that came to their birthday party and all the kids are on top of it. They just asked for a picture of their best friends to be put in their (which is me and daddy they said, how sweet). Any cute suggestions on how to display these around the room would be great.
    I did want to paint their dresser red, so I'm glad someone mentioned that. I do like the idea of the tan room with a red wall. I would like to do that one but the wall that would have the red on it also has a huge window on it. Currently we have the pottery barn red gigham curtains (that's what went with the nursery stuff). What curtains would you suggest for a red wall with this bedding?

Mclark-- I love that poster, where did you find that? Even though I'm not doing superman I would love to look online and see other poster that might give me inspiration.

So with all my updates how does everyone feel about the colors of the walls now? I'm still toying with the blues too.

• jjam
    16 years ago

Light blue. Without seeing your quilt it's tough to choose an exact shade. Furnishings will show up great next to it; either painted or wood, and so will your Superman stuff. Go ahead and carry the blue theme out; if you do something other than that it will look like you're not sure about the colors in the quilt. It'll be great!

• littledog
    16 years ago

Red, red, red.

Easy to work around later as they get older and their interests change.

• sable_ca
    16 years ago

Wheat, buff, tan - something like those.

I would never put red on the walls of a children's room and certainly not a room for twin boys! It's too exciting, too revved up, too aggressive. We want those boys to calm down and go to sleep, not bounce off everything in sight. Consider the colors of walls in schools and other places where children gather. There are reasons for those peaceful shades.

I kept the walls in my sons' rooms neutral and let them choose the color for the inside of their closets. One chose orange and the other lime-green. Fine with me.

Neutral lets you go from one theme to another as their interests - and the necessary accessories - change, which will happen with alarming frequency!

• mclarke
    16 years ago

Twinsrus,

You can find the Superman Returns poster at Movieposter.com for $16 -- here's the link --

Here is a link that might be useful: Superman poster

• twinsrus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, I'm so confused now. I'm a realtor and I just saw some houses with gorgeous paint jobs. You would think this would help me but it only confuses me more. Tone on tone striped walls or just tans with reds or all one color. The rest of my house is tan with red accents. Should I really keep the boys room the same?
    I have been thinking all day about the blues. My thoughts are...I cannot do the dark blue so maybe the light blue from the stripe on the bed? Then the dresser and maybe the headboards painted red? What do ya'll think of this idea? Oh, and on each wall that a bed is on paint a red box and hang the pictures in that area.
    Or
    Tan walls all over with red dresser, red curtains and then on one wall a bed is on paint one dark blue box with red matted pictures and the other wall paint a red box with with dark blue matted pictures. This one sounds confused but this is the one that is very clear in my mind. I wish I had photoshop to show everyone but I'm not one of the lucky ones.

• ILoveRed
    16 years ago

I have pottery barn quilts in my twins room and used the blues on the walls. I had someone do a faux finish in the denim. Sorry I don't have a better pic. As a matter of fact this pic is downright embarrassing. I wanted to pull out the red (LOVE red), but dh wouldn't go for it.

I am going to paint their bathroom red and maybe do a nautical theme.

Love the pottery barn colors. Congratulations on reaching 3 yrs old with your sanity ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful:

• ILoveRed
    16 years ago

I just wanted to tell you how well these quilts hold up. One of my boys wets the bed at least once or twice a week, so these quilts are washed constantly. They just get nicer and softer each time they are washed. Love the quilts you picked out!

• twinsrus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I love the denim look on the walls. I love the pottery barn quilts. We had toddler quilt and I washed those things at least once a week if not 2 times a day for the last 2 years and they look brand new still.

• twinsrus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I love the denim look on the walls. I love the pottery barn quilts. We had toddler quilt and I washed those things at least once a week if not 2 times a day for the last 2 years and they look brand new still.

• littledog
    16 years ago

LOL My youngest daughter painted her room Chinese red, so I know how fun that color can be. I hadn't thought about red as charging the little guys up. Good point.

Since red is out, if you don't want to do the denim treatment (nice), I'd go with tan.

• twinsrus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm not apposed to red in their room. I don't believe that the color of the room makes them one way or another. My friend had a red nursery and her kids are MELLOW. I have pale yellow and one of mine is high stung and the other is not. It's just the nature of the kid. I just want their room to be cute. I'm not good with taking chances on paints. Tan and red really call to me but maybe blue looks better. I had to admit, I don't like blue that's why it's such a hard decision. I want what looks the best for their room. I want a room someone would see and say "I want that room too"

• texanjana
    16 years ago

Research has shown that certain colors in our environments do affect us. When my boys were little, I painted their room red. Immediately they became aggressive and agitated. Luckily, we sold that house and moved shortly after that. I didn't make the connection until years later when I read about research into colors and our emotions. Just my two cents, take it or leave it!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES