Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rwhirley_gw

Setting up a Christmas village

rwhirley
10 years ago

Last year on clearance, I bought a few items to start a Christmas village. I pulled them out yesterday and was trying to decide where to display the few items I have. The only place I could find that would work was a hole in my kitchen where the microwave used to be. Its perfect because it has an outlet and just big enough space for the few items I have and still being able to purchase a few more. I went to Walmart tonight and bought a few more pieces but after doing some searching on line a lot of sites mention that you should have some height. I only have one decent size building and all the rest are the little action figurines. and a few small houses, train station and bookstore. I can reuse the box the 5 & 10 came in to add some height but I don't know how it should flow. here is a picture of how it looks now.

Comments (16)

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    10 years ago

Cute! Maybe a larger tree to hide the outlet. You can make a 'skating pond' using a small mirror and hide the edges with cotton batting (snow).

You could also use foam board or poster board covered with wrapping paper or painted to create a backdrop to maybe look like a snowy winter night? If you do that I would do all 3 sides kind of like a diorama.

This post was edited by tannatonk on Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 6:01

• ttodd
    10 years ago

I painted a dark blue backdrop for my village one year for mine and I couldn't believe the difference and that was only on scrap cardboard!
    Check around online for any Department 56 video tutorials. I had an old one on VHS by them that was very helpful.
    Thought for under your bridge: get a mirror and place under it to look like a frozen pond. Get fluffy 'snow' and put around the edges. If you want t take it 1 step further get a piece of Styrofoam and carve out the center so that your mirror sets inside of it. Place some snow over the Styrofoam and put the mirror ontop of the snow. Add fluffy snow around the mirror edges to 'blend in'.
    2 things that I thought made a big difference for me (that I learned from the video) was raising some things higher and sprinkling sparkling snow overtop of buildings and snow.
    Have fun!

• romy718
    10 years ago

I have Dept. 56 villages too, Dickens (Heritage Village) & The North Pole. As patty315 said, you can get styrofoam. I get the large pieces from Menards, Home Dept & cut it using a Dept. 56 styrofoam cutter. It is inexpensive & uses batteries. Cutting the styrofoam is seriously fun. Whenever I am doing it with someone (my daughter or my 88 y/o uncle) we are fighting for the cutter.
    I stack 2 or 3 pieces to get different heights. I then put the loose Dept. 56 snow on top. I prefer that over the batting. It looks more realistic & the accessories don't fall over. I scoop it all up & reuse it the next year.
    FYI, tons of Dept 56 villages & accessories for sale on Ebay at good prices.

• chucksmom
    10 years ago

Is there a way to Private message here? My village has grown out of control and I'm setting up my favorite pieces now, looking to pay forward some of my "stuff". Where are you? I'd love to pass some of my pieces along.

• romy718
    10 years ago

This is a styrofoam cutter they sell at Joann Fabrics, about $12 -$15.

• justretired
    10 years ago

I too am a Dickens village collector. Echoing what Patty said, fill spaces with trees. They really make a big difference. You have a good start and a cozy little area to display them. Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

• romy718
    10 years ago

Jaysmom49, if you click on a members name, you will go to their page. Rwhirley just needs to change her settings to accept email & you can contact her. That is awfully nice of you. I was collecting villages until a coworker showed me pics of her furniture moved out of her home to "make room" to set up her village collection. That's when I quit adding to my collection.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

This is cheap, but saw a bunch of known brand village accessories at the Dollar Store. Plenty of trees available.

May or may not work for all, but I use baking soda mixed with white glue to lay down a snow base. Then sprinkle where snow would land and spray with a watered soda/glue mixture. It stays solid, but can be easily removed when taking down display. I also use mini doll feet/boots, pressed into snow before it is dry, to look like people have been walking to the stores. A sled runner too. And a Christmas tree lot adds some fun with lights hanging above/around it.

• bpath
    10 years ago

Does anybody else find their kids' Star Wars micro-figures lurking in their village?

• romy718
    10 years ago

Technicolor-footprints & sled prints and a Christmas tree lot, what great ideas. Did you make the lot yourself or is that a Dept 56 accessory?
    I enjoy setting up the villages & arranging the "details". I don't know if most of my family notices more than the overall look.
    I'd love to see pics of other GWer's villages.

• susieboomer
    10 years ago

jaysmom do you have the Original Dept 56 Snow Village?
    How thoughtful you are. I have enjoyed "paying it forward" it gives a person a great feeling - a real win-win situation. Merry Christmas to you!

• chucksmom
    10 years ago

No. I never liked the scale of the Snow Village. Too large although I do have some accessory pieces. It's like a REAL village would be, not perfect, different architectural styles. Some vintage some new. IF I ever get through it all, I'll post a picture.
    Merry Christmas to you!

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Romy...most of my creation is gathering of items and putting a scene together. I found a small sign that said Christmas trees for sale. Spend way too much time digging through these things, but does pay off when finding the best of the best. Watch for Small Scale train accessories on sale, and cheap plastic globe ornaments with items inside. There are options beyond for adding details and usually less expensive than the sets offered. I do get picky regarding quality and closer to real. Even scrap book supplies for making signs on wood. Of course their value is not going to be a collectable as the Christmas Village items.

• texanjana
    10 years ago

I don't have a Christmas village, just wanted to say what a kind and generous person you are, Jaysmom!

• loribee
    10 years ago

B pathome, I laughed when I read your message. If my kids were still young, I totally would have found the same thing!