Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eastbaymom_gw

inspiration links for kitchens with wood cabinets

eastbaymom
13 years ago

Prompted by turtlemeng's observation that many of the kitchens here are painted white, I'd like to start a thread with links to finished kitchens and other image collections that might serve as inspiration for newcomers who are considering natural or stained wood cabinets.

Here's my partial list of links... please add photos or links to old threads you've found that fit in the category!

Any recently completed kitchens I've omitted are left out simply because of my shortcomings in forum searching skill... again, please add links and/or pictures!

Comments (38)

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

The link has about 40 kitchens with natural wood cabinets of various styles and species.

Here is a link that might be useful: wood-cabinet kitchens

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Not done yet, but here are unstained red oak cupboards with lacquer finish. Floor is same but no photo shows it all yet. click away.

Here is a link that might be useful: unstained red oak kitchen in progress

• rjr220
    13 years ago

Here's mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: birch and soapstone

• chrisa62401
    13 years ago

The inspiration for my soon to be built cabinets all came from here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eastvold customs

• doonie
    13 years ago

Zola Blue has light cherry cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: zola Blue's kitchen

• doonie
    13 years ago

Also, I am not sure who's kitchen this is, but I had it saved as an inspiration photo:

• doonie
    13 years ago

Jenswrens photos are beautiful...

Here is a link that might be useful: Jenswren's kitchen

• doonie
    13 years ago

I found this in the Home Galleries and it is gorgeous!

"Our new bumpout addition of an 80 year old Tudor Revival. This picture shows Wolf stove, Waterworks faucet, Madura gold and Ladies Dream granite countertops, Ann Sacks Sur de Mer tiles, Shaws Original farm sink by Rohl"

"

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Gallery Posting

• doonie
    13 years ago

Another beautiful kitchen...

Here is a link that might be useful: Quartersawn Oak Craftsman Kitchen with Green Subway Tile

• doonie
    13 years ago

And here is my kitchen. I am posting a picture of the vaulted ceiling area on a sunny day. It makes my heart sing.

{{!gwi}}

And this is how much natural light my windows are now bringing into the narrower portion of my kitchen with cherry and maple cabinetry.

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi eastbay...

This sure is fun...

Here is the link I found that inspired my kitchen... (Especially Mairin's)

KA:)

Here is a link that might be useful: show me your dark wood kitchens

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting Mairin's kitchen, Doonie. When I saw it I knew I wanted that look! She was so helpful to me during my remodel.

• doonie
    13 years ago

kitchenaddict,

Can you directly post a photo of your beautiful kitchen too? (I think it's even more fun to look at the actual photos in one thread!)

• jeff_from_oakville
    13 years ago

My cinnamon stained cherry cabinets get installed tomorrow. They look great sitting out of their boxes waiting...

• eastbaymom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Can't wait to see them, Jeff!

Thanks to all for the links, and yes, I'd love to see more photos!

• sochi
    13 years ago

Good luck tomorrow Jeff!

Here are a couple of pictures of my last kitchen: cherry, dark stain.

• analysisparalysis
    13 years ago

Thank you for this post!!! Just when I was starting to feel quite lost and unsure of how to have my quartersawn oak cabinets stained, this thread comes along and saves the day. So many beautiful wood kitchens, just what I'm looking for! My current kitchen is all white, and I'm so ready to go back to wood. I am SO smitten with jaymielo's kitchen! It the exact stain/wood I am looking for - so thank you so much for starting this thread and bringing me out of my slump, eastbaymom!!!

• melissastar
    13 years ago

Here's one of my inspiration pictures....from a GWer. A stunning quartersawn oak kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: lpolk's gorgeous oak kitchen

• chrisa62401
    13 years ago

These are the cabinets I am using for my inspiration. Shaker in Quarter-sawn oak.

• eastbaymom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, all those oak cabinets are fabulous!

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

For doonie...thanks for asking.

And here's my sister's...

• doonie
    13 years ago

Kitchenaddict, they are so beautiful. I have to admit that I nearly went with the very dark stained shaker quartersawn oak, but my GC recommended I go no darker than the medium cherry due to the layout of my kitchen and lack of natural light in the working part. Thanks for posting!

• leela4
    13 years ago

chrisa-my budget is soooo happy I didn't know about that Eastvold site (and cabinets) before this remodel-they are gorgeous! Be sure to post your kitchen when you're done.

• momand3boys
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for posting all this. I too am having trouble trying to visualize a wood toned kitchen. So many kitchens here are in white tones I feel like I'm in the minority!

Kitchenaddict - I have been admiring your kitchen, its really stunning! Could you or your sister tell me about her kitchen, especially the cabinets? Its the overall color scheme I've been looking around for pictures of.

Thanks!

• jeff_from_oakville
    13 years ago

Thanks eastbaymom, and sochi.

Here's a picture the cabinets starting to be put into place. So much still to do, but it's great seeing the progress.

• analysisparalysis
    13 years ago

Chrisa - I LOVE those quartersawn cabinets too!!! Do you have any idea if that is white or red oak? And what stain is used? Which oak and stain are you using?

Seeing these pictures has me SO excited about my new kitchen - and I'm also really excited to see how nice black appliances look with the craftsman-style cabinets I'm hoping for.

Doing a happy dance... :-)

• sochi
    13 years ago

Jeff - they look fantastic! Can't wait to see the rest. What's next?? Are those two islands?

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

Jeff it looks great so far, isn't it awesome to see progress, even when small?

• chrisa62401
    13 years ago

The cabinets I posted are white oak. I'm going with red oak on ours. I don't know what the stain is but I told the cabinet maker to match it.

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi momand3...

My sister's cabinets are Dynasty Omega Cherry in Sable...They are truly gorgeous. A little more pricey than, say, Kraftmaid. I think they have more custom features.

Here is a link that might be useful: omega website

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

I swooned over lpolk's kitchen in the April 2010 issue of BHG Kitchen and Bath Ideas magazine. I didn't know that gorgeous kitchen belonged to a GWer! Do you know why it's not posted in the FKB? It should be.

btw, the cabinets aren't crafted from quartersawn oak. They are "pecan cabinets with a light wheat stain." Leslie is quoted as saying that they originally wanted quartersawn oak but it was too expensive. They chose the pecan because "it looks just as warm and light and would stand the test of time." The grain is not the same as quartersawn oak (no rays) but it is gorgeous. Has anyone seen pecan wood cabinets offered before? I haven't.

Another to add to the list is aprilquilt's lovely kitchen with quartersawn red oak raised panel cabinets, an uncommon application for QS oak.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aprilquilt's quartersawn red oak kitchen

• analysisparalysis
    13 years ago

Chrisa - do you have an actual sample of the stained wood from Eastvold (are you near them?), or is your cabinetmaker just going off the pictures? I'd be interested in finding out which stain he uses, if it's in the near future. I think it'll be another month or so before my cabinetmaker is anywhere close to the staining stage, and he can probably go off a picture also, but if there's an actual stain name, it would certainly save him some work (we'll be using red oak also). Thanks in advance if you're able to supply any more info!

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

Great idea to share all of the beautiful kitchens with wood cabinets! I am still in the "inspiration stage" so I would be happy to share some of the links that I've collected. I hope the kitchen owners don't mind.

ni_2006's kitchen

staceyneil's kitchen

ncl520's kitchen

tofu_dog's kitchen

steph1602's kitchen

Thank you all for sharing!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Just found this very woody kitchen

Here is a link that might be useful: lotsa wood

• jeff_from_oakville
    13 years ago

sochi - It's just one island just not put together yet. Cabinets will be at one end and table at the other end.

hellonasty - Yep sure is. The lowers are all in place now and the granite guy comes in tomorrow to measure.

Meanwhile the uppers will be in place tomorrow. The new windows are due this week as well. Things should start to move pretty fast after that.

• dsf767
    13 years ago

Here is my Wife and I's Just Finshed Condo Reno.

Cost was $ 9,300

What I learned from our Reno? Small kitchen can still look amazing and you can get a great transformation even for a small budget.

Head over to our Kitchen thread for our story and more pics!

DSF767's Condo Kitchen on a Budget!

• turtlemeng
    13 years ago

Wow, I just want to say it's very rare I can "inspire" a thread...sorry I have no pic to show, yet. I am sitting in a house that's 86 degrees and it's 102 degrees outside (perhaps someone can tell me if it's not a good idea to turn on AC when the house is dusty...DH insists). There are lots of flies and bugs because the door has been open all day. Maple cabinets will be in tomorrow. Hopefully I can post a nice pic soon.